Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
This is not fully available yet, I am waiting for 2008OS to see if there is anything that needs to be fixed or changed. I am not changing it, and I am asking anyone who wants to test it please PM me

All of these screenshots were taken with Ksnapshot

Here is KDE right after login. Notice the CPU meter
Its roughly 1minute 30 seconds to start KDE, obviously this will waiver and the first startup may take up to a minute longer, there are some extra things going on the first time you log in.

ITT on Konqueror, not much else to say. (If you install flite, you can have it read webpages to you)
ISSUES: Konqueror does not display gif images, (This was same in KDEv1) I know this sucks and this is why the google page never displays a logo. I wanted to fix it but it involved recompiling basically everything, and I will make sure it works in the next version, which will be a ways out.

CUPS in Konqueror Fullscreen
The whole reason KDEv2 is being done is to provide printing support for KDE. Other applications were put on to allow printing certain things. For example GQview was put on there to allow printing pictures, some KDE tools only support certain image types, compilations issues not discovered early on. Also Abiword 2.2.3 was put on and allows printing RTF docs with pictures.

www.missingkids.com
This site is bookmarked in Konqueror. I decided I wanted to, since I could, include a way to try to help find missing children. Tablets are in hands of people all over the USA (and world) which is where these people are missing from. Well were on the subject, lets look at the next picture

This is desktop #4 Its background image is set to toggle through the missing kids. Notice the Highlighted icon, "Update Missing Kids", this will remove the old pictures and replace with new ones. The pictures display the images from the missingkids.com website. penguinbait.com updates them at 12AM and 6AMPM. penguinbait.com then pushes the pictures up to comcast.net for hosting. The updates will only happen if you click the icon, it is a manual process.

If you want to remove it, simply drag the icon to the trash, and remove ( rm -rf /usr/local/kde/share/missing/ )

KVirc starting up

KVirc with Kvkbd

Kvkbd menu, this was the right click menu displayed when right clicking on dock icon. The developer Todor Gyumyushev added this after emailing and asking, he also added the support to come back the same size you left it, it used to go back to default size that was not optimal. Cool Developers Rule!!

Notice the Dock Widget, the little keyboard floating above the keyboard. This is used to minimize the keyboard. You can have full screen apps open and use the keyboard without having to go back to the panel. It floats around and can be moved anywahere on the screen, its very fast to appear and reappear. Notice xkbd icon also on panel

KVirc with Keyboard minimized, dock widget showing.

Beastie Boys rule!! hehe Juk (Music Player), it works but has an ocaisional hiccup, maybe 2008OS will help?

Notice Kmix running minimzed in panel for volume management. KDE sounds are enabled, and starts a little choppy, especially on first boot. Can be switched to use flite if you install flite

Smplayer (Mplayer Frontend) You need to install mplayer to use. Sorry, screenshot tool would not capture video playing, I tried

Krdc doing VNC Scaling, this is cool, at least I think so. This is a screenshot of VNC client running on KDE on IT, viewing fullscreen 1024x768 scalled to fit in 800x480, hope you got good eyes, and yes it is useable, (I would go to hildon control panel and calibrate touchscreen) Notice also Kvkbd dock widget.

VNC Fullscreen Scaling with Keyboard, should work with rdesktop also. Started from desktop or menu (Krdc)

Kopete, added Ktts plugin, so it will speak your messages as they come in, if you install flite, and enable the plugin.

Hildon Control Panel and Application manager have Icons on the desktop.
ISSUES, The application manager will not have a menu to do anything, so you can not refresh it or do update sources, these things can be done in Hildon or via command line. Another option if you want this, is to go to Settings >Regional & Accessability > Keyboard Shortcuts
Find "Popup Launch Menu" and remove the mapping (Note this is the menu Key and brings up the KDE menu, you can click on it with stylus so its not needed)

Played with gconf settings, thanks to Gnuite for pointing this out to me. This will not affect your current settings but will give you more options when you got to control panel. 1440 minutes is 24 hours, what the heck, when an hour just isn't enough

Application Manager, I should probably install that

Knetattach Setup your connection (ftp/ssh/samba are supported, it says webdav also be never tried)

You can also browse samba shares on the local network by clicking the System icon on the desktop, > Remote Places > Samba Shares

Fill in password

God I love fish

Abiword 2.2.3, runs OK, prints good, you can see spellscheck is working, and pictures embedded in doc, it just wedges it in there. RTF support, dont think this will open any docs, maybe from wordpad? Menu only work in Fullscreen...

GQview view/print pictures, slideshow, fullscreen (like Abiwork GQview menus only work in fullscreen)

Sylpheed, loading my 3500 headers on first connection, text only email, but works well

Gentube, perhaps this is useful, perhaps not? If you dont want it, remove the icon and the GenTube directory in /home/user

Click Download video

Paste in the Youtube video link Using Kvkbd (menu) key and it will download the flv file and place it in /home/user/GenTube/video You can use Gentube to launch the videos in smplayer also.

Kvkbd can also be used on the Desktop and in Konqueror file manager. Use the dpad to select the file, hit the menu key on kvkbd to get a menu of available actions.

Looking forward to your comments

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-10-24 at 04:14.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Looks nice, too bad there is no gif support atm, just wonder if KDE support fake-transparency ? You know, the ability to capture the underneath picture and use it as the background for taskbar or even better real-transparency ?

Btw is it possible to install firefox (perhaps for .gif support) or Konversation (KDE's irc-client )?

PS. sorry for the stupid question, I'm a noob at stuffs like this.

Last edited by Kozzi; 2007-10-24 at 01:53.

Where can I find the download link? Is it the same process as version 1 to install?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Rexburg, Idaho
Awesome!!!!!

Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
Looks nice, too bad there is no gif support atm, just wonder if KDE support fake-transparency ? You know, the ability to capture the underneath picture and use it as the background for taskbar or even better real-transparency ?

Btw is it possible to install firefox (perhaps for .gif support) or Konversation (KDE's irc-client )?

PS. sorry for the stupid question, I'm a noob at stuffs like this.
No stupid questions.

Transparency??? I like it
Works pretty good, but have to turn off hiding animation on panel

The select image is greyed out?

IRC,

Take a look at kvirc, its pretty good.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Penguinbait, man, I just got KDE version 1 working. I'm very lame when it comes to comprehending Linux, root access, vi, and the command lines so this took a long long time for me. Especially when I first didn't format my 2Gig SD card with enough space on the boot partition. I eventually got a 4Gig SDHC and gave it plenty of space.

But, boy, was I thrilled when it started up. So, so cool. I just want to say thank you for getting me to try harder.

PB, you are GOD

Did you try to compile/start/use Kontact - KDE PIM suite? I see

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Did you try to compile/start/use Kontact - KDE PIM suite? I see
A long time ago, KDE PIM will not compile for me, not sure why?

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
PB, you are GOD
No, just one of his children