Active Topics

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Interesting discussion, everyone.

@ Christexaport

I share your enthusiasm about the tremendous potential of the n900. But, remember that as the intro device for maemo 5, the n900 represents only stage 4 of Nokia's 5 stage plan for positioning maemo as a platform that would garner widespread consumer acceptance. This is probably why Nokia is being so low-key about the launch, and possibly why Nokia is not in a hurry to get carrier agreements on subsidization.

I think a lot of us were surprised that telephony was included in the stage 4 device (many of us were expecting it in stage 5). But in retrospect, the decision to introduce the phone capability in the n900 makes a lot of sense in the context of the roadmap. If stage 5 is supposed to culminate in the uber-devices meant for widespread consumer adoption, then Nokia would have to introduce telephony in stage 4 in order to iron out the kinks. That way, the stage 5 device will have a more polished phone experience for users that are expecting the device to be, well, a cell phone with all the usability and features they have come to expect.

I think a lot of people may be frustrated by Nokia's seemingly tepid marketing support for the device, but it does appear that Nokia is making a huge bet on maemo being a large part of the future of the company. In that light, it is not surprising at all that Nokia is proceeding very cautiously--I don't think they want to excessively hype a device that isn't meant to be the be all and end all.

I think qole is right on this, word of mouth, enthusiasm and feedback from the early adopters (i.e., us) will lead to more widespread consumer adoption when the stage 5 devices come along. This is not just in terms of telling all our friends about the n900, but it also goes for participating in the maemo community: as with the earlier maemo stages, even regular users can provide input in terms of what applications they want, what's working and what isn't. The developers in the community through their dedication and talent show us what is possible. The community thus ends up improving and polishing up maemo even further.

With all that being said, I am still very excited about the n900. I think we are all going to have a lot of fun with our devices over the next couple of years.

Finally, as for Oprah, I think she is now hawking the T-mobile myTouch--it looks like it was on the roster in one of her famous giveaway shows. That also goes to show what a big bet T-mobile is placing on Android.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/10/s...anks-to-oprah/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Oprah is a huge influence here, but you won't get the N900 on that show because of the hardware, or benefit of price or locked/unlocked etc.

It WILL get on the show there is an application that this community can write, software/App, (this is open source) that benefits everyone or directly has a link to what Oprah believes in. And of course the software would be FREE for everyone. Then she will get it and show everyone that "look this is what the Maemo community made" and then of course the N900 will be used and will be featured and showed.

so to summarize (because I'm not the best writer sorry) I'm saying that the way to get the phone on Oprah show or any other influential shows with pull in certain demographics (and the mass markets) is to have an app or software because of the community and "free" nature of the OS featured on these shows. Then by default the N900 will be featured.

The tech shows will do their part because they are for techies, but these other shows won't take their time to highlight just because of megapixels or processors.

The Following User Says Thank You to jayhule For This Useful Post:
I remember the cameo of the Nokia 770 in the Harold and Kumar movies. I was sad when they used it as a phone in the second one though -_-

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by jayhule View Post
...or directly has a link to what Oprah believes in.
That is the truest and scariest aspect of Oprah. It plagues Hollywood in general- America worships those fine upstanding people way too much. Now not are they only mere actors/actresses (most pretty poor at that) but we've somehow allowed them to become political and social experts that the sheep flock to for nourishment and direction.

And yet, I agree- get an N900 on her show and you're nearly golden. KFCs were packed when she had an online link to a coupon for a free sample of their new grilled chicken. Their restaurants were flooded with people, and KFC halted their promotion due to lack of product, then went and stuck it to the consumer with some other lame offer you had to submit via writing to get- all because of so much popularity due to being on Oprah's show. Granted, the people jamming the KFC joints likely consider it "fine dining". I drove by and laughed.

Yes, give something free with the device. Put some special code inside that when it first boots and reveals the code, they enter it on a web site and Blam-o! Free something that everyone wants. Nokia could partner with a restaurant chain, or an online movie mogul, or an airline. It's too late in the season for an amusement/theme park joint promotion.

And Nokia could even create a Limited Edition version of the N900 with exclusive apps or perhaps some ebooks of Oprah included within, a special Oprah-ized set of headphones or carrying case. Oh yeah- some blingy case would do the trick so all the ladies can show their friends how unique and special they are by having it.

Think Willy Wonka...the golden ticket...run with it.

As for the original topic question, I say yes it will. It may not burst out of the canon as fast and far as we'd like it to, but it will explode and shower the masses more and more over time until they can't avoid seeing the flash and glow and say "ooooooh, awwwwww" and if nothing else, it may just make them a Nokia customer even if not an N900 owner.

The Following User Says Thank You to daveb70 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
Let's skip Oprah...

Send one to the guys @ Top Gear (BBC version) set up to use the accelerometers / remote camera to r/c a full size supercar.

I can see it now: The STIG running the test track from the grandstand via the N900....

Jeremy Clarkson says "Some say he is remote controlled by a n900, some say he got his brain reprogrammed using maemo 5 after a accident , All we know is hes named the STIG"
i can just see it now on next seasons TG episode 1 its going to be epic

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-09-20 at 05:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Nokia is the world's largest manufacturer of cell phones. The vast spread of Nokia's market is almost everywhere except North America. Nokia has never played well with the U.S. carriers and their procedures. A few Nokia smartphones are released with U.S. carrier 3G frequencies (the NAM models.) These are sold unlocked on the open market. Occasionally, there is a carrier subsidized version. Recently, in typical baffling Nokia style, they announced that the N900 will remain un-tampered by any carrier. T-Mobile U.S. has no plans to subsidize it (at this time.) The device and it's Maemo OS are the 5th step of a planned 6 step program and as such, Nokia still excuses the N900 as an exploratory device and as a geek computer that now also happens to include a phone. There is no denying that it is a well appointed and potentially powerful unit. Nokia is charging top dollar for it.
I would imagine that Nokia is fully aware that the N900 probably ain't going to sell real well in America.
And perhaps they just don't care.
What other handset manufacturer has the ways and means to refuse to play ball with the U.S. but can still see a long term vision carried through with it's original purpose remaining intact?

Last edited by kenny; 2009-09-21 at 05:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
"will it be subsidized by my carrier?", "will it even work on my carrier?"
I really pity all those people who live in that Market where those questions are really questions...

Where did it go wrong? Because of the market really must be completely open? Not regulated at all by the government?

I am really glad that i dont live there if we talk about the mobile market, because the 2 questions you ask above are not even questions at all in the country i live (The Netherlands)
They are both "of course"

I never buy a phone from the carrier.. that is a very stupid move because those are mostly branded. And that is most of the time not things like that and this is disabled. But just some pictures and some apps in the firmware. But then suddenly i cant upgrade to the firmwares Nokia sends out, so i will never buy one from the operator.

But thats not a big deal, there are so many independent phone providers that will sell the phone subsidized. And then the question is never will it work for the provider i want? Because which ever provider i choose it will always work (gsm or hsdpa)

Thats why i call free market and choice..

Back on this topic about the N900 making it or not, i do think Nokia will be surprised how well it will do. But they should market it way better yes i agree with that. They have gold in there hands and they should exploit that to the maximum.

I do here are lot of stuff, but it is so expensive.. What?? expensive?? It is cheap!! My current phone (E90) was 800 euro's when it was introduced! And if you compare it to the other high end phones from nokia N97 (mini), X6 they are all not really way cheaper.. So why are there so many complaining about that fact?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Jeremy Clarkson says "Some say he is remote controlled by a n900, some say he got his brain reprogrammed using maemo 5 after a accident , All we know is hes named the STIG"
i can just see it now on next seasons TG episode 1 its going to be epic
LOL!!

How about a bombshell ending...?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
...I share your enthusiasm about the tremendous potential of the n900. But, remember that as the intro device for maemo 5, the n900 represents only stage 4 of Nokia's 5 stage plan for positioning maemo as a platform that would garner widespread consumer acceptance. This is probably why Nokia is being so low-key about the launch, and possibly why Nokia is not in a hurry to get carrier agreements on subsidization.

I think a lot of us were surprised that telephony was included in the stage 4 device (many of us were expecting it in stage 5). But in retrospect, the decision to introduce the phone capability in the n900 makes a lot of sense in the context of the roadmap. If stage 5 is supposed to culminate in the uber-devices meant for widespread consumer adoption, then Nokia would have to introduce telephony in stage 4 in order to iron out the kinks. That way, the stage 5 device will have a more polished phone experience for users that are expecting the device to be, well, a cell phone with all the usability and features they have come to expect.

I think a lot of people may be frustrated by Nokia's seemingly tepid marketing support for the device, but it does appear that Nokia is making a huge bet on maemo being a large part of the future of the company. In that light, it is not surprising at all that Nokia is proceeding very cautiously--I don't think they want to excessively hype a device that isn't meant to be the be all and end all.

I think qole is right on this, word of mouth, enthusiasm and feedback from the early adopters (i.e., us) will lead to more widespread consumer adoption when the stage 5 devices come along. This is not just in terms of telling all our friends about the n900, but it also goes for participating in the maemo community: as with the earlier maemo stages, even regular users can provide input in terms of what applications they want, what's working and what isn't. The developers in the community through their dedication and talent show us what is possible. The community thus ends up improving and polishing up maemo even further.

With all that being said, I am still very excited about the n900. I think we are all going to have a lot of fun with our devices over the next couple of years.
Well put!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Faz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
I have never had a nokia device that had many incremental updates whether it could do it OTA/network or not.
Please don't try to read between the lines as I'm only trying to bring some memory back:

- The N800 was released with Bora (Maemo 3) and user could upgrade to Chinook (4) and Diablo (4.1) with several maintenance releases in between.

- The N810 was released with Chinook. You refer only to Diablo but it was already a Maemo 4 update.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900