Notices

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Knuckledragger View Post
Today is the 14th day and I am sending this back! I was under the mistaken belief that I would be able to use Sirius and Hulu and that has not been the case. That coupled with poor battery performance, lack of apps, and extreme size forced me to go with the Iphone.
Patience!!! This is what people are lacking now-a-days.. You said it 14 DAYS!! Seriously now, do you really think that there will be SO MANY APPLICATIONS and support in 14 DAYS!?!?!? Be reasonable.. Yes, it's frustrating, but for a very new device, what can you expect??

I always wish there would be new very usable applications for the N900, but I also consider that this is a very new device with a new platform (Since this is a bit different than older Maemo OSes), and it takes time.. your "iPhone" has been out for a while now, and frankly I didn't see any good apps until end of 2008 early 2009... So yeah..

EDIT: Battery issue, I am betting on everything that I have that it will improve ALOT by firmware updates (since there are lots of things that makes it drain fast, like the wifi bug & bluetooth)..

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cincinnati, OH
exactly....comparing the release date of the iPhone and the Sirius app being released in 2009 to the n900 is apples and oranges

I wrote to Sirius a few days ago, just to see if there was currently any way to stream sirius to the N900, and as I suspected, I received an email saying that at the current time there is nothing planned, but they appreciate my interest.
I know that Orb used to be an option for most devices with a web browser, and while the performance wasn't great, in situations like this, something would be better than nothing. But the sirius channel (provided by usirius) url's no longer work.
I'm not one of those people that consider my phone useless without someway to stream sirius, but it would be a really nice feature.
Can't seem to find much information on this though. Does anyone know if there is anything in the works?

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger View Post
Today is the 14th day and I am sending this back! I was under the mistaken belief that I would be able to use Sirius and Hulu and that has not been the case. That coupled with poor battery performance, lack of apps, and extreme size forced me to go with the Iphone.
Hulu 'used' to work, albeit slowly, before Hulu decided to up their Flash requirments...not Nokia's fault. It is dissapointing to be able to navigate to the XM/Sirius web based radio, but not have codec support however.

Does anyone know if mplayer will support XM's *.asf media stream? I believe its online radio is a "Flash based" media player.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-28 at 17:20.

I, too, would like to have Pandora access through the N900. I'm not a developer, but I wonder if somebody could write a simple application? I requested that Pandora do this, but the response I got earlier this month was not encouraging.

They wrote: "We've been developing for different kinds of mobile platforms for a couple of years now and it's become clear over time that as a small company with modest engineering resources we should focus on developing for major smartphone platforms from here on out. We're specifically looking for platforms that offer a clear path for development and certification, a strong likelihood of being able to re-use our code, and a robust platform lifespan. That means it's not likely we'll have the resources to pursue developing for your N900 in the foreseeable future. I understand that may be somewhat disappointing, but we'd rather be honest with you now at the outset rather than disappoint you more deeply later on.

Could anybody help with Pandora?

Originally Posted by RockCreek1 View Post
I, too, would like to have Pandora access through the N900. I'm not a developer, but I wonder if somebody could write a simple application? I requested that Pandora do this, but the response I got earlier this month was not encouraging.

They wrote: "We've been developing for different kinds of mobile platforms for a couple of years now and it's become clear over time that as a small company with modest engineering resources we should focus on developing for major smartphone platforms from here on out. We're specifically looking for platforms that offer a clear path for development and certification, a strong likelihood of being able to re-use our code, and a robust platform lifespan. That means it's not likely we'll have the resources to pursue developing for your N900 in the foreseeable future. I understand that may be somewhat disappointing, but we'd rather be honest with you now at the outset rather than disappoint you more deeply later on.

Could anybody help with Pandora?
There is an app available in "Extras-devel" repository under the name of pianobar (command line only) along with two GUI options, pyPandora and qtPianobar. pyPandora is a little further along from the looks of it.

As has been said countless times, if you're willing to live dangerously and understand that you will probably encounter issues (to the point where your device may run into issues), you can access the app from the "Extras-devel". Otherwise, just wait for a bit and you'll have a Pandora app soon enough.

Last edited by BadMojoUT; 2010-01-28 at 21:12.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
has there been an update on this issue? i just got my n900 and i am in love however the only way that i can get SIRIUSXM to play is by using Joikuspot to establish a connection to the iPod and then play thru that. the connection sucks btw and always drops out. it's so annoying that with a device as perfect as the N900 there just is no support for WMP on sites as I would be just fine with logging into the SIRIUSXM wedsite.

is there anyone out there in the N900 world who might have a workaround for this?

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPDATE!!!!

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY FOR ME TODAY!!!

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2953

Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
UPDATE!!!!

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY FOR ME TODAY!!!

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2953
How did you get this to work? I used to use this method to get Sirius on my Xbox 360, but then sirius changed the urls for the stations, and it stopped working. And as far as I can see, usirius is no longer available either.

I can stream the XM feed from http://xmro.xmradio.com pretty well. I use the Web browser to open the online player because Web still supports Flash. After I choose a channel, the Media Player icon will appear to the left of the channel input field. In a traditional web browser it's the same place you would use to control playback. Click the Media Player image and the N900 will attempt to play the stream. Of course, MP won't play it, but if you press the "+" symbol, it will show you the URL it's trying to play. Copy and paste that into KMPlayer and voila! I get some minor buffering as the stream starts but then it plays smoothly.