Active Topics

Or maybe we can do a 'Tizen Coding Competition' next year, if the project goes on

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Yes, I meant mobile devices only. The problem if we say "Linux", some people will say to bring in Android. Perhaps we can say any mobile platform that officially supports open source Qt. (To my knowledge, IOS, Android and WM do not)
Because of this I said "full featured Linux" - not Dalvik VM.

Originally Posted by b0unc3 View Post
Or maybe we can do a 'Tizen Coding Competition' next year, if the project goes on
I would prefer to continue using Qt - but perhaps we could ask the developers if they would switch to html5 especially for our competition.

As far as I know Tizen doesn't support Qt officially. If we follow the rules of our Concil Tizen would disqualificate itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Are you willing to volunteer again next year? Including helping with the voting process? pause before answering
As of today: most probably, yes. The feeling I had when finally we got the final results I would describe as a huge (I mean really huge) soap bubble exploding into millions of smaller ones, which some seconds later are exploding into a double rainbow (all the way!)...

But I don't know where I'll be next year. Maybe I'll have married my girl, maybe we'll await our first child and I'll not be sitting in front of a PC but shopping Baby clothes, who knows?

What I want to say is that I'm not important as a person. It is the idea and the community around the idea.

edit: but I won't volunteer again for sure if some of you will continue to write my nick with an upper case "z"! :P

MeeGo is shutting down next year. What should be the focus of the 2012 coding competition? Should we make it a CSSU/Nemo/Cordia competition? Or broaden it to be a Qt coding competition for multiple platforms?
Qt would be one option... Let's not forget that Meltemi will be built on Qt as well...

Would love to tell you more but I'm under NDA. :/

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-12-07 at 15:41.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, Harmattan should still be there next year - that's a solid target by itself IMO.
  • good old Maemo is not really going anywhere + there was even a stable CSSU release recently and an in-progress Harmattan QML Components port
  • Nemo, Plasma active - also possible targets, though without corporate backing
  • Tizen - also possible target, thought its a bit too quiet about it
  • Meltemi - ?
  • Other - SHR, Ubuntu, Archlinux, Hackable might also become a viable mobile Linux platforms some day in the (near) future...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
As of today: most probably, yes. The feeling I had when finally we got the final results I would describe as a huge (I mean really huge) soap bubble exploding into millions of smaller ones, which some seconds later are exploding into a double rainbow (all the way!)...

But I don't know where I'll be next year. Maybe I'll have married my girl, maybe we'll await our first child and I'll not be sitting in front of a PC but shopping Baby clothes, who knows?

What I want to say is that I'm not important as a person. It is the idea and the community around the idea.
Thanks - I'm just glad you didn't say "Hell no!" If circumstances change, you can always spend a little time but help out a lot by guiding others on how the competition works so there is a little continuity.

My thought was to keep at least one person who is now familiar with the voting process. It was not so easy to work that out this time - hopefully we retain what we learned so we don't go through as much trouble next year.

As far as I know Tizen doesn't support Qt officially. If we follow the rules of our Concil Tizen would disqualificate itself.
The reason I suggested Qt is that it is open source, community governed, and a bridge between Maemo and the future. Most apps in this competition were Qt, and Qt has a solid future even though Maemo (and Harmattan) face challenges in 2012. If Tizen officially supports Qt, then great, it can join the party - and the party doesn't change that much. (Same with Meltemi.) But if not, my personal feeling is HTML5 is too far afield from maemo.

Rather than addressing who additional might come in, should we think about who might be left out? Is there any concern about leaving gtk+ behind?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Don't forget to send out the invitations as soon as possible! The most of us have to book a flight and a hotel to bestead you during your big moment. (I'm talking about the marriage, not the baby) *g

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
I've submitted the results:
Games Category
1. Nine Mens Morris Muhle http://competition.meetmeego.org/submissions/51
I didn't expect that. Thanks to all participants on both sides of the voting booths for making this competition such a success (both in general and personally )!

As required, the Nine Men's Morris game is available in the Ovi store: http://store.ovi.com/content/178163.
And if there is anything you dislike about that application, I'd be happy to hear about it, for example here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I don't know, keep in mind that the devices are shipped from Finland.
Oh, by the way, b0unc3 - is it to late to ask if it is possible to get a N900 with a german keyboard layout?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Originally Posted by helex View Post
Oh, by the way, b0unc3 - is it to late to ask if it is possible to get a N900 with a german keyboard layout?
I think it's not possible, BTW I'll ask and let you know.

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
fyi
I haven't got all the information from all 1st prize winners.
So I asked my admin to send me the database of competition.meetmeego.org some days ago. No answer yet. If I won't get the database until tomorrow I'll try to figure out which the nicknames of the missing winners are here over at the forum, to contact them via PM.
I want to send the information to Nokia in one piece. It wouldn't look good if I'd write: "well, here are the first three, maybe tomorrow you'll get the next two. And then some later..."

edit: got the database.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-12-13 at 14:24.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia