Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Just checking in, been busy lately, have found another battery for testing, will do this in January, not expecting anything like the scud's, but it is from DX so it is a battery almost everybody normally can buy with ease.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matrixpiglet View Post
This is a great thread

Going to buy a N900 as this has a great community and i like modding

After looking through this and other threads, here are some (also battery related) questions:

1. Does anyone (preferably Europe) want to sell his SCUD/ Mugen Cover and/or even an N900? PM me

2. Is there anything else of notice when bying the phone, batteries (SCUD for dual mod) and cover? Does the microSD card still work, as i have read?
Hi there, and welcome

1. Probably one of first thing after purchasing - just after placing screen protector on position You should do, is to solder down USB port. It is easier that it may sound (still, it requires some moderate soldering skill), but it's absolutely must-do, if You doesn't want to sign a prayer every time You insert/remove USB plug.

2. microSD - of course it works with Mugen Cover. furthermore, it's recommended for power users, to get magnet out of Mugen Cover, and glue it to corresponding place on device itself - this way, You can remove cover without auto-disabling of microSD card. Especially useful, if You're using swap on microSD, instead of internal eMMC (most likely, you'll want to do so, alongside some swap-related tweaks in system - it's real performance (I/O wise) boots, even if You got only class 2 microSD card).

3. Dual-scuds and Mugen cover - you just need to consider quite long time of delivery from Asia, and carefully choose supplier of batteries (most likely, you'll want to buy from LuciaLui on Aliexpress, as she is only one person who - currently - sell "true" scuds with ~1500 mAh).

As for Mugen cover, You can buy it only from Mugen, as per instruction in first post - you may want to apply camera lens shutter mod (Mugen-cover doesn't contain openable shutter for camera, just small switch for recognizing by hardware - physically, camera is "open" for outside world all the time). Check my signature for details.

4. I can always prepare ready-to-use dual-scuds and Mugen Covers with camera lens shutter mod already applied in exchange for a fixed donation to Mugen-Cover-Power proiect (also see signature) + hardware (batteries and Mugen cover itself) cost + shipping ("raw" materials to me, and modified thing to You) cost. Interested people also need to consider possible delays (Mugenians can be picky or "forget" to send package, delivery time may wary, custom offices may went berserker... Someone here know about it already - too well ).

Of course, there may be also someone interested in doing so, or, from time to time, or just wanting to sell used dual-scuds (consider possible [although, most likely small] capacity loss), or accessories like Mugen Cover.

And, again - every project here is "Open", be it hardware or software, so if you like modding, You're confident in your skills, and have spare time (always more than You would expect, from such project :P ) you may do everything on Your own.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-12-23 at 01:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
1. Probably one of first thing after purchasingis to solder down USB port.

2. microSD - it's recommended for power users, to get magnet out of Mugen Cover, and glue it to corresponding place on device itself.

3. Dual-scuds and Mugen cover - you just need to consider quite long time of delivery from Asia, and carefully choose supplier of batteries.

As for Mugen cover - you may want to apply camera lens shutter mod. Check my signature for details.

4. I can always prepare ready-to-use dual-scuds and Mugen Covers with camera lens shutter mod already applied. Of course, there may be also someone interested in doing so, or, from time to time, or just wanting to sell used dual-scuds (consider possible [although, most likely small] capacity loss), or accessories like Mugen Cover.
/Estel
Thank you very much for your answer, Estel!

1. put it on my to-do list
2. also on the list now
3. already ordered the yellow scuds 2 weeks ago, so that i can hopefully start next year
4. got the cover from yanness, who posted in this thread about some leftovers (thanks again!)

Ok, I guess that is the hardware part. Software-wise, I guess the battery script from this thread, then after playing around maybe easy debian and then surely the android/nitdroid software.

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
so i bought an original bl-5j battery from a local store (i cant use a credit card right now to buy the scuds) and i noticed there are differences with the battery that originally came with the N900.

here are 2 pictures of the 2 batteries
left: the battery that came with n900
right:battery i just bought

the new battery (right one) has a small bump next to 3.7 volts is this something to worry about?

the new battery (right one) has an additional marking CE
and there are differences at the serial number.
Anybody can help me short this out?

P.S
sorry if I am posting kind of off-topic.

meron na po ba sa pilippines ng ganito battery balak ko sana bumili para i try ko sa nokia n900 ko THANK YOU

is it possible to dual mod two batteries with different capacities, e.g. scud und polarcell?

Originally Posted by matrixpiglet View Post
is it possible to dual mod two batteries with different capacities, e.g. scud und polarcell?
Yes they are not that far apart, only problem with that is when you see 10% left (REAL CAPACITY like my meter) it will probably die very quickly after because at this point the polarcell will be about drained and the scud is mend to take up the slag, but at the same time the polarcell is dragging the scud down.

Doing a mod like that will work, but will cause problems like not getting a FULL charge and not getting everything out of the battery's (Full Discharge)

It will still without a doubt give you more battery life then a single battery, but i will still recommend same battery's or battery's of very similar capacity.

Ok, then I will skip on dual mod for now and just have two replacement cells in my pocket

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I'm interested in the SCUD battery, but only one piece, can I assume that this one is the same as the link provided in the first post?

Yes that looks about right

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc