Originally Posted by ashish View Post
I work with mozilla engine day in and day out. I can help. How do I?
You can try building Mozilla with Mer SDK and see what needs fixing there (for example WebRTC doesn't build as of now). Try running the result on some actual device (some useful targets can be for example Nemo/N900, Nemo/N9 and PlasmaActive/Nexus7). Building IPCLite is a similar process (you can check it out from Romaxa's repo). Building/testing the whole thing with Qt5 would be also good.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-16 at 23:42.

Previews on the side is certainly harder to implement imho, although I like it too. I'm curious to watch Morpog's video to see how the tabs appear. Alternatives are alway nice

@shmerl : wait, you mean one needs Nemo to have Qt based Firefox on N9 and N900 ?

No, reread the thread, you can run QML Firefox now on your N9 with a very minimalistic UI.

sandy_locke: Mer/Nemo or Mer/PA are just good environments to test stuff if you are building Mozilla tree with Qt, and Mer SDK is rather easy to set up and it's up to date tools wise and maintained by the community. It's also shared by all Mer based projects, so you don't need to adjust it too much for each target (most probably armv7hl build will work on both Nemo and PlasmaActive, though you can set up both targets in Mer SDK).

If you need to work with Harmattan or Fermantle - you can probably do that their way, but it's not necessary, unless you specifically want to build for them. (We are talking about building Mozilla tree itself, not about just writing the QML UI for embedlite).

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-16 at 23:53.

Ah ok, thanks. So a Mer build can be adjusted easily for Harmattan or Fremantle by tweaking some code ? Sorry but I'm fairly new with my freshly bought N9 and am just discovering all the possibilites, so I'm still not really sure what exactly is the link between Mer and Fremantle&Meego... for now I assume it's a fork taken back by a larger community to build Jolla and other OS's.

The code presumably doesn't need tweaking. Or at least not supposed to. What you need to set up is mostly your build environment and your mozconfig.

For MerSDK - see https://wiki.mozilla.org/How_To_Buil...c_with_Mer_SDK
For Harmattan you need to use its own SDK: https://wiki.mozilla.org/How_To_Buil..._Harmattan_SDK

I think Harmattan SDK in general isn't maintained anymore (so don't expect tools upgrades there - it's in the frozen state). It's basically Nokia's legacy build system.

Mer SDK is updated regularly - Mer is not associated with Nokia, it's a community project. Jolla's Sailfish is based on Mer, so you will be able to use Mer SDK for it as well.

If you are a bit fuzzy about history, here is the short version:
Nokia had Maemo project, which they decided to merge with Intel's Mobiln. They created the Meego project. Meanwhile they released N9 with Harmattan OS, which isn't exactly Meego, but it's their Maemo in transition to Meego (in some intermediate state which is really closer to Maemo than to Meego). After that Nokia basically dropped the whole thing. Community forked some parts of Meego (not Harmattan - that's important), and created a Mer project which is a core distribution. Now other projects like Nemo (which also inherits Meego Handset subproject), Plasma Active and Sailfish use Mer as their base.

So on N9 you can either run Harmattan which Nokia ships with it, or you can install Mer based Nemo OS there. If you use the device only for development and testing, rather than everyday use - I'd recommend using Nemo, since you essentially train how to use Mer SDK and it'll be helpful for the upcoming Sailfish.

But if you use it as your primary device, Harmattan is still probably more useful.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-17 at 00:17.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
I really hope that instead of using tabs, this browser will implement N9's default browser style instead, this time with real time thumbnails instead of blank page while loading. Configurations will be added directly into system Settings and with first page similar to the one posted by Morpog but with swiping left to get bookmarks , i.e
1. Run browser
2. Top sites and history show upes
3. Swipe left to get to Bookmarks, right to go back to Top sites.

Last edited by Kozzi; 2013-01-18 at 18:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
asked for desktop shorcut, so here is script for launching Fennec from shortcut:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#mozlauncher.sh
url=$1
cd /home/user/mozbuildhm
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./
if [ "$url" = "" ]; then url="http://www.google.ru/firefox"; fi
./qmlMozEmbedTest -url $url
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name=Fennec
Icon=/home/user/mozbuildhm/fennec.png
Exec=/home/user/mozbuildhm/mozlauncher.sh %U
X-Window-Icon=
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Tabs are good to have, but not in the manner of a desktop browser, rather like XUL Fennec tabs with preview.

By the way - bad news. Mozilla decided to kill XUL Fennec off, since they are too engrossed in Android:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=831236

Looks like IPC embedlite remains the only option for normal mobile Linux to use Gecko.

How to install flash plugin with it (to read some video on internet) or is it already installed?

Tags
thread derailed