Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Second Life is open source so I know *if* it's possible, we could do it. The only question here is: Is it possible?

SL uses OpenGL 2.0 and I'm not sure how that translates to OpenGL ES 2.0. Obviously the client would need some major redesigns as the graphics are made for more powerful machines and the interface is designed for a desktop and a mouse. I already know how it can work to control it, and I could pretty easily whip up a shiny looking interface in PS, but I can't code it and so far don't even know if it could run on here.

So before I start asking for people who can code such an awesome feat, I'd like to know if it's even a possibility.

So does anyone know if the SL client is compatible with OpenGL ES 2.0 coming from OpenGL 2.0?

Does anyone know if the N900 can finally bring SL to the mobile realm?

The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
is the second life client open source?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
The client is open source. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Get_source_and_compile
Not sure how this would work on such a small screen though..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by parasight View Post
Not sure how this would work on such a small screen though..
A very good question parasight, by getting rid of all interface options and making a lot of the control gesture based it actually becomes quite do-able. Of course there will always be the issue of a small screen, but that is a trade off of having it on a phone or MID. And having it on a phone or MID has been requested a fair bit in the past. And I for one would *love* to have SL running on the road using TMO's super fast 3.5G connection.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
A possible option could be the realXtend client. Their previous client was based on the Second Life client so you could log into Second Life too. I think they are currently developing a new client with Qt but I'm not sure if you can use with Second Life. There's some info here.

I think there was some talk about a mobile client for realXtend at some point not sure though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by parasight View Post
A possible option could be the realXtend client. Their previous client was based on the Second Life client so you could log into Second Life too.
A good idea, but I was actually considering talking to Modular Systems about their Greenlife Emerald Viewer, since it's a very popular client made by a very adept bunch of coders. It has many features not available in the everyday client and would be much appreciated to have both their current features and their forethought for what's useful in what situation.

Of course before I talk to them I want to know it won't be a waste of their time to have to investigate whether the platform is capable. I want a definite "Yes it will work with some retooling." or at least a "Yeah from what I've done with it, it should be capable." Hopefully one of those two answers will find it's self ITT soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
they still havnt renamed it to "first life"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0eladn For This Useful Post:
Seriously... even if it was just a text client... it would be awesome to have. I started to install all the stuff for the SDK and whatnot... and then I realized I didn't know what the heck I was doing and was like... Ummmm... >.>

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Ireland
Now that the Vollee system is no longer functioning we are without SL mobile.

Maybe this? Mobile Grid
Or this ? Sparkle IM

Could be ported. Even SLim...preferably not though.

For those in need of chat on the go, use Ajaxlife through your web browser.

We can live in hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to dandiesel For This Useful Post:
i played sl via vollee on my n95 so it should definetly be do able with n900

Tags
compatibility, games, opengl, second life