I second trying to get out of the Sprint plan. If you have a spouse/child/SO that can stay on the network, you can probably just be honest and explain the situation to the CSR and explain how by letting you off now, they can keep the other contract on.

Also, if you don't mind lying, you can almost always talk your way out of a contract. One of the above posters suggested having someone say you are dead, which I guess you can go for. I think the more common lie is to say "oh I'm going to be out of the country for the next 7 months on sabatical, is there any way I could end this contract without an ETF?"

Finally, since you happen to be a Sprint member, you should know that there is currently money from a class action lawsuit available over Early Termination Fees. You should look over the details yourself, but if you were discouraged from leaving your contract before October due to ETFs, you're entitled to some cash, and at the very least, you should be entitled to 6 months of 300 free text messages. You can see the settlement website here: http://www.sprintetfsettlement.com/php/home.php

The Following User Says Thank You to bocaJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I am probably going to get the N900. I am shackled to Sprint for the next 8 months or so, and can't afford to just add on another monthly charge, so I am going to use the N900 only when WiFi is available, mainly in my house.

But I would like to be able to make occasional phone calls from my N900, and not even carry my Centro with me.

So, basically I would like to use my N900 like a Tracfone or something similar.

What's the cheapest plan that would allow me to do that?

I'm in the US, in the Los Angeles area.

Sorry if this duplicates some discussion. I looked and didn't find.
OFF-TOPIC @GENEVEN

If I'm remembering right, you've been dissing the N8x0 tablets for a while now (praising, instead, for example, Kindle as something you would prefer carrying around). So I'm curious: why are you getting an N900?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ MA-US
Another vote for TMO's prepaid. If you don't already have a TMO sim card I'd grab their $20 Nokia 1208 prepaid from Walmart instead of $15 for just a sim card and a $100 card. The $100 card will get you a straight $0.10 per minute and is good for a year.

If was stuck with another contract I might being doing the same thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to beelerb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by beelerb View Post
Another vote for TMO's prepaid. If you don't already have a TMO sim card I'd grab their $20 Nokia 1208 prepaid from Walmart instead of $15 for just a sim card and a $100 card. The $100 card will get you a straight $0.10 per minute and is good for a year.

If was stuck with another contract I might being doing the same thing.
Actually it's better than for a year. If you refill with *any* amount by the end of the year, your leftover minutes carry over into the next year.

Even without a stop at Walmart, you can go online and get a good deal on T-mobile prepaid with a phone thrown in. But right now their inexpensive telephone offerings -- both Nokias -- are Out of Stock; I suppose they're emptying the shelves to replace them with a deal on the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
In reply to the OP. Your cheapest option is probably to use it with at&tīs prepaid Gophone service, that allows you to use as little as $15 a month on the N900. That can be used for talk/data/sms.
I think T-Mobile prepaid is the best plan, as someone else already mentioned. If you don't talk much, it could cost even less than $15 a month. A while back I bought $100 of prepaid minutes on T-Mobile and that lasted me for a year - so it was about $8/mo.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
OFF-TOPIC @GENEVEN

If I'm remembering right, you've been dissing the N8x0 tablets for a while now (praising, instead, for example, Kindle as something you would prefer carrying around). So I'm curious: why are you getting an N900?
Well, I'd like to have a complete set (except I don't have a 770).

I do think that the Kindle is a much better value, overall. But it really isn't a phone, and I need a phone. I only want to carry one device, and I can use the N900 to call AAA if my car breaks down. Tmobile has always seemed to me to be the least awful mobile phone company. And the N900 seems to me to be the least awful phone/tablet combo in release.

I like open source and have been running Linux for quite awhile; I started with Slackware back in I think the 1980s. In those days I knew nothing about Linux, whereas today I know... almost nothing.

Buying it might be a big mistake; I've made mistakes before.

I am nearsighted in a way that works well with small tablets. So, though I would buy a bigger tablet if there was one that met my specs, there isn't one. In a way, it seems to me that the N900 is the only choice, limited though it is.

Maybe I'm getting one because the hype worked on me. That is entirely possible.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
T-mobile prepaid. $100 a year with VOIP in WiFi areas covers all my needs.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I think T-Mobile prepaid is the best plan, as someone else already mentioned. If you don't talk much, it could cost even less than $15 a month. A while back I bought $100 of prepaid minutes on T-Mobile and that lasted me for a year - so it was about $8/mo.
But doesn't T-Mobile charge $1 per day PLUS 10 cents per minute?

I know boost mobile is only 10 cents per day with out the daily connection fee . . . with out that daily connection fee it would be worth it . . . but with it ?????

thats $30 a month BEFORE you add the minutes used?

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Is their another GSM company out their in the USA . . . . I am in Manhattan . . . . where thier is wifi "almost" every where . . . I just need some pre paid minutes to get me by when their isn't wifi . . . I am at home most of the time and have a skype $3 per month unlimited plain that I use in the house . . . It would be GREAT if I could save $70 a month and only pay for what I use outside of the house . . . . Anybody know of any good cheap gsm companies for voice that would work on N900?

Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
But doesn't T-Mobile charge $1 per day PLUS 10 cents per minute?

I know boost mobile is only 10 cents per day with out the daily connection fee . . . with out that daily connection fee it would be worth it . . . but with it ?????

thats $30 a month BEFORE you add the minutes used?
The plan with the daily fee is the Sidekick plan. However, there is also another plan called the "Pay As You Go" plan which doesn't have any daily fees. You strictly pay for the minutes you use. (about $0.11/minute or so, $0.10/text msg) The only downside is that the minutes expire. If you fill the account with $100, then the minutes will last a full year.

I'm on this plan, and they also include free access to yahoo. This works great for me as I can get news and access my email while not connected to wifi at home or work. So my overall cost is $8/month. The next year will be even cheaper as I won't have to put in $100 to keep minutes from expiring within a year.