Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

I have a Nokia N800 with 2008 OS firmware.

I haven't recieved an update to upgrade to Maemo 5.

Is it possible to upgrade to a Maemo 5 OS firmware?

Is there a link for this firmware upgrade?

Regards Robert

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
no it's not possible to upgrade to maemo 5

The Following User Says Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
Greetings:

I have a Nokia N800 with 2008 OS firmware.

I haven't recieved an update to upgrade to Maemo 5.

Is it possible to upgrade to a Maemo 5 OS firmware?

Is there a link for this firmware upgrade?

Regards Robert
No, however, there is a project called "Mer" which will likely be our next upgrade.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
For future reference please search the archives before posting.
This has been covered a dozen of times. :-)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
This has been covered a dozen of times.
Duplicate threads, merge to form Devastator!

Err, sorry. I meant to say, I've just merged a mess of duplicate threads into this one, and I've updated the title to make finding it easier, I hope.

Thanks go to pelago for tracking down all the clones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Queens, New York
Originally Posted by bhang View Post

when will these companies learn backwards compatibility, keeps customers happy,

bhang
when? the day that comes when helping you retain a product you already paid for and gain newer functionality from it could possibly be more profitable than forcing you to buy a new one. do the gradeschool math involved and you will realize that day will never come. sorry buddy... fact of life, never gonna change.

so... hack away, its your best option.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by DanielT View Post
when? the day that comes when helping you retain a product you already paid for and gain newer functionality from it could possibly be more profitable than forcing you to buy a new one. do the gradeschool math involved and you will realize that day will never come. sorry buddy... fact of life, never gonna change.
Not necessarily true. If phone OSs were developed and sold or given away by a company that didn't make phones, there would be an incentive to build in backward compatibility. That, for better and worse, is what you find with Windows and some Linux distros.

If you are interested in backward compatibility, the only OS maintained by a non-manufacturer is Android (with Moblin in an ambiguous position being maintained by a chip maker, Intel).

Mer could become another alternative if it can achieve the level of stability and sophistication of the more established mobile phone OSs. It's not there yet.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
First off my apologies to anyone for this possible necro on this thread. Just wanted to thank all of you who have been posting about this topic, as many folks such as myself who are looking for a new gadget need to have questions such as this answered. As always when you look at a new release (saw the n900 and commenced drooling) you have to see 'if' the older models which are so much cheaper could even remotely compare.

As it seems, no. It is good to know however. No sense in spending cash on an older n8x0 series when it just won't compete. Good thing I am cheap and decided last year not to get the n810 since my old X3i still 'sort of' works. I should really just run it over with my car and force myself to buy a new portable.

Again, just a word of thanks for this thread. I'll be off to read the many many threads on the n900 now, and figuring out which child to sell into slavery in order to buy that NIT.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ California
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
First off my apologies to anyone for this possible necro on this thread. Just wanted to thank all of you who have been posting about this topic, as many folks such as myself who are looking for a new gadget need to have questions such as this answered. As always when you look at a new release (saw the n900 and commenced drooling) you have to see 'if' the older models which are so much cheaper could even remotely compare.

As it seems, no. It is good to know however. No sense in spending cash on an older n8x0 series when it just won't compete. Good thing I am cheap and decided last year not to get the n810 since my old X3i still 'sort of' works. I should really just run it over with my car and force myself to buy a new portable.

Again, just a word of thanks for this thread. I'll be off to read the many many threads on the n900 now, and figuring out which child to sell into slavery in order to buy that NIT.
Many feel that the N800/N810 is a better choice as a pocket computer due to the bigger screen. I prefer a seperate cell phone, don't need constant internet connectivity, and sure am not interested in paying a monthly fee. My N800 has been in my pocket daily for 2 years, is loaded with content and usefull apps, and still looks and works like new.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by davadio View Post
Many feel that the N800/N810 is a better choice as a pocket computer due to the bigger screen. I prefer a seperate cell phone, don't need constant internet connectivity, and sure am not interested in paying a monthly fee. My N800 has been in my pocket daily for 2 years, is loaded with content and usefull apps, and still looks and works like new.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I am one of those people who wish for the mythical N820, with the same specs as the N900 but without the cell chip.

But, alas, since this is not going to happen, and since the N900 is currently out of my price range (face it, I can get a respectable laptop or two netbooks for the cost of the N900), I am clinging to my N810 (which has been in my pocket for a year, and getting more and more use) and hoping against hope for Mer and the new TI video drivers as our last hope to squeeze some new life out of our beloved tablets.

--vr

Tags
770, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n800, n810, os2008, upgrade