Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/15/n...ng-with-windo/

thoughts?

I am intrigued by the idea of a "phone mode" for when you just need lots of standby/call time and don't necessarily need to full computer capabilities. Damn I wish the n900 could dual boot symbian....

oh and the 1,024 x 600 res sounds delicious

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Somehow I think if you really didn't use the N900 for anything other than phone, you'd get very similar standby times as a device with symbian.

Disable or pause all the processes that aren't needed on a "phone" (pause the browser process, disable tracker, etc, etc); keep wifi radio completely off (driver modules unloaded), etc.

I'm sure you could code a status menu applet or something (or Queen Beecon Widget or whateter) to go into "phone only" mode where a bunch of non-phone processes are gutted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Yeah I have done this before via the "hard sleep" queen beacon widget, but I just think symbian is much more battery efficient than maemo.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Just out of curiosity (and it's just curiosity), what is the major draw to Symbian?

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/15/n...ng-with-windo/

thoughts?
Replace win7 with Meego.

i have fond memories of symbian from my n95 days... IMO symbian is the most battery efficient and capable "phone OS" out there. sucks as a "computer OS" though.

welcome capt'n.... i was wondering when you were going to show up

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Symbian is boring nowadays but is perfectly capable of doing a whole lot of things: apart from managing the phone, which is its specialty, it has good applications for everything. Just browse symbian forums.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Just out of curiosity (and it's just curiosity), what is the major draw to Symbian?
Its Sexy!

Now seriously, how does it work? isnt symbian for ARM devices?! and atom is x86! strikes me as odd. maybe symbian runs on some kind of vm?

The Following User Says Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
What a Frankenstein... and Windows 7 on 32 GB flash drive ? I have 64GB SSD in my laptop and I start fighting for space shortly after I do clean install. Also, it says that frequency stays at 50%. So, does it mean that 1.2 Ghz is underclocked to 600mhz?? Although, if I didn't have n900 and had 800 bucks to spend on this thing, I would probably buy it. And then install some full x86 linux distro with a lightweight GUI. :P

Last edited by aligatro; 2011-05-16 at 19:10.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Yeah I have done this before via the "hard sleep" queen beacon widget, but I just think symbian is much more battery efficient than maemo.
*Shrug* How are you defining efficiency, exactly? Efficiency is getting a specific task or set of tasks or action(s) done with minimal wasteful expenditure.

Carrying a handgun around if all you want is to put bullets into soft human flesh things IS more efficient for that task and that task alone then driving around in an armored car with a mounted missile launcher and machine gun combo. But that armored car is going to do other things, that the handgun simply can't do - like protect you from bullets and fire missiles. At the end of the day, when you need to fire one bullet into one human-flesh thing, the car-mounted machine gun and the handgun will have very similar efficiency - firing pin hits bullet and the gun-powder goes boom.

But then that handgun is very inefficient if you want to use it for any other task, beyond a narrow range of functions.

Similarly, I don't think it's a matter of Maemo being more or less *efficient* then Symbian. It's just that Maemo does more, and thus has more stuff running in the background. Keep it to just the kernel and telephony, and whatever else symbian does, and it'll probably run you about the same energy consumption on the same hardware.

Of course, I'm not an expert, but so I suspect.