Hi, I'm still waiting to buy an N800 -.- Going to graduate soon so it should be happening soon too

I've been wondering for quite a long time, does the screen on the N800 or N810 bend when you press on it? I tried a Dell Axim x50v before, and the screen was absolutely rock hard. I could press as hard as I want on it and it doesn't warp at all. I just read this and it says in the Display section the N800's screen does warp. No other review I've found mentions this at all.

I was hoping someone here could confirm this. For both the N800 and N810.

Thanks a bunch!

TJ

Not warp, really, but it kinda gels a little, as that review says. The most noticable effect is a color-warped trail behind your finger when you swipe your finger around on it. But it's more rigid-feeling and less trail than the TFT I'm using on my desktop...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The 770 did warp badly when touched, but the screens on the N800 and N810 are quite solid. You usually don't notice any warping unless you press real hard. The screens are very sensitive, so there is absolutely no need to press hard. Just a soft tap with finger or stylus is good enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I see. Thanks for clarifying that up. Maybe on the N900 they'll make it even sturdier. But it'll probably arrive too late for me. A bit of temporary color warping I can live with I guess. The price of the N800 is absolutely fantastic at the moment, though. Better get my credit card out

Thanks again you two!

id say if your seeing any warping your pressing harder than necessary, Ive had a bunch of touch screen pdas over the years and I think the n800 is the most responsive yet.
but it is softer than most Ive used, but I think thats part of why it is so sensitive. which means you dont have to use much pressure.

bhang

The Following User Says Thank You to bhang For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I have a N800 and picked up one for my brother, I found that the one I got for him had a "gel like" feel to the screen, while mine was fine. I returned it and had it exchanged the new unit is fine. I spoke to Tigerdirect about it and the guy there mentioned that they had several units back from customers with the same problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to manni For This Useful Post:
@manni: that's weird. Sounds like sloppy QC to me :|

All the places ran out of stock as I was preparing to buy. I had it in my Amazon shopping cart for a few days while waiting for shipping details from my sister who lives in the US. The day I got all the info I needed and proceeded to check out the tablet, it was sold out -.- Same story with CompUSA, I signed up for PayPal and then it sold out there too. I then realized that the local distributors had it for sale too, but they were sold out by that time too... Bad timing LOL

Hi,

I guess if you have one and its still under warranty you could try to get Nokia to replace/repair the screen.

Manni

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I have one that's hard and one that's "gel like". The gel-like one feels exactly like all of my 770s, actually.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: