Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
This is a thread for ppl to post games that work well with dosbox on their tablets.

There are a number of reasons why many dos games don't work well: mouse problems, performance problems, dosbox incompatibility, no sdl support for FN key on n810 (EDIT: fixed temporarily) etc etc etc.

So if you try something and it works fairly well, drop a brief post here, with program name, tablet type, dosbox version, .dosboxrc settings, and list compatibility issues.

------------------
Defender of the Crown
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n8x0) build #1
vga mode, pc speaker, cycles 1400, frameskip 3
Runs/installs fine on n810. Higher cycles disrupt the sound. No keyboard incompatibilities found yet.

------------------
Ultima V
vga/tandy mode, pc speaker, cycles 1200-2900, frameskip 3
Runs/installs fine on n810. Number keys not working. Very fast in tandy mode, slower in vga mode.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-02-21 at 06:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Where did you find DOSBOX for your tablet? I looked (granted not hard) and couldn't find it. The old Sierra games work on my iBook with DOSBOX and I curious about the N810.

Okay, I found it. Pretty cool!!

I was playing King's Quest II last night. Leisure Suit Larry III didn't seem to work. I had sound, but no video. Didn't really play with it beyond that, could be a dosbox.conf tweak.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
@jmayson: change the display to vga (the default is tandy i think).

---------------------
Lands of Lore
vga mode, no sound, cycles 700-800, frameskip 0
Runs quite well on N800+OS2008. You can run with sound with almost no impact on performance, better use sb1 or sb2. No keyboard or cursor incompatibilities found yet.

---------------------------------
World of Xeen (Clouds + Dark Side)
vga mode, no sound, cycles 700-800, frameskip 0
Runs pretty slow on N800+OS2008. Sound has big impact on performance, not recommended. The actual mouse click is not where you really click, moves around on a strange scheme, maybe something to do with the pixel doubling, but i didn't investigate further. Since it is also slow, turns overall quite unplayable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Universially in DosBox it seems to be impossible to type anything with numbers or symbols (anything requiring Fn) and the mouse doesn't appear where you tap. Sound also seems distorted or something.

Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers get all the girls
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 0
New screens are slow to load but it's full color with sound. Being a text-based game performance isn't such an issue. Performance while typing is normal. Cursor is not where you point.

ZZT
tandy mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 0
Seems to work just as well as on a regular computer

Ultima Underworld
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2
Runs, a little slow but usable on low detail settings. Unfortunately unplayable due to lack of right-click which is required to pick up objects, talk to people, open doors, fight, etc.

Last edited by CyberCat; 2008-01-26 at 23:21.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Thanks for the great feedback. What we can do is set up special per-game keymaps (like that right shift thing for Underworld) then include those into the (upcoming) front-end!

Keep em coming.

Sweet! Hopefully we'll be able to get a lot of games working properly on DosBox with the Nokias.

Jazz Jackrabbit (registered CD version)
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2-20
Unplayablely slow, getting around 1 frame per 5 seconds or less, menu takes about 4 minutes to show up. After another 4 minutes to get to the episode selection I finally gave up. (on DosBox on my PC it takes about 4 seconds. I tried experimenting with different settings, tandy does not work. I tripped upping frameskip to 20, it helps at first, but it quickly slows down again. Sound plays OK and sounds like it does on my PC, although it gets "slowed" down pretty quick with the graphics.

One Must Fall: 2097
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2-20
Again, unplayablely slow, even with high frameskip, no tandy mode. Disabling sound in setup makes no improvement. Less than 1fps average, impossibly bad for a 2D fighting game.

Jill of the Jungle (any of 3 episodes)
vga/tandy mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2-6
Pretty slow but semi-playable, better than the previous two. No "alt" key means that you can't throw your weapon, basically a show stopper beyond level 1 or 2. The PC speaker sound effects get annoying pretty quick. This game normally has a midi sound track.

Last edited by CyberCat; 2008-01-28 at 01:09.

The Dark Heart of Uukrul

Works great on N800 with latest build, in Tandy mode.
This is incredibly cool. It runs practically "full speed", and this is a turn based game so the experience is perfectly fine.

Is there any way to get the diagonal arrow keys using a Stowaway bt keyboard?

The Following User Says Thank You to LodC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
PGA Tour Golf

Review, screenshots, and download can be found here:
http://abandonia.com/en/games/1021/PGA+Tour+Golf.html

Things changed from ArnimS's sample dosbox.conf file:
fullscreen=false
machine=vga
frameskip=0
cycles=972 (this might not be optimum however)

Screenshot:

Plays perfect, no complaints whatsoever except for I don't know how to set up the sound and music correctly. A little help from someone on this perhaps? I'm not too good with understanding the whole dosbox.conf file thing when it comes to speaker output, even with ArnimS's comments added in there.

Known problems: Use xkbd keyboard when going through the initial setup menus. For some reason, the mouse will crash Dosbox when asking if a player is human or computer.

The rest of the time, all you need to use is the Dpad for direction and tapping on the screen (anywhere) for the initial swing, power, and accuracy.

Overall rating for this game: 5 stars out of 5

This was my first chance to test out your new build ArnimS, and dude, this is way too cool!

Thanks again for all of the good work you have put into this project!

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
The old DOS ports of the ICOM games (shadowgate, deja vu 1 & 2, uninvited) seems to be working, will post again later if any bugs or repeat-crashes arise. great mouse-based abandonware, i only wish there were a way to play the OG MacOS versions, they were prettier and higher-resolution, albeit in B&W... (it's like playing your favorite childhood games TURNERIZED!)

The Following User Says Thank You to throwawayCA For This Useful Post: