Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
BBC iplayer on N96:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...n96_mobil.html

lets hope the BBC take note of other handhelds!

The N8x0 has a hardware decoder for MPEG4?
No, but it has a dedicated (and currently unused) (co)processor which is supposed to run video decoding code, the IVA.

but cannot handle the CPU requirements of the codecs that iPlayer is using :-(
Is it just that, or also that the codecs (which are presumably built into the flash player) are just not optimised well enough?

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by siralien View Post
I think that's crazy. Putting aside legal restrictions allowing non UK IP addresses access to the site, the service being used is simple flash based animation that one gets on YouTube and other sites. If the browser on the N810 cannot play this then certainly, from a user point of view, that's a bug. The browser is failing to provide access to the services it should.
The BBC may be using a proprietary Microsoft Active-X wrapper for flash which would prevent it from playing on anything but Microsoft.

The N810 has version 9 r31 of flash which is very capable. The bug if you will belongs to the BBC.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

I can get the iPlayer radio to work in the US and in Canada, and it was working on my N810 better than it does on my laptop!

Is it possible to look inside the flash app and see what it's doing? Reverse engineer it. Not to make it work per se, but rather so that we can know what it's doing, what codec, etc.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I took a look at the HTML code on the BBC and what may be required is real player which they only offered for download in Windows and Apple packages.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Is it possible to look inside the flash app and see what it's doing? Reverse engineer it. Not to make it work per se, but rather so that we can know what it's doing, what codec, etc.
This has already been done by lots of folk on the beebhack wiki.
http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/Nokia_H.264_version

The N95 stream is just H264+AAC over RTSP. Accessing the stream may be tricky though.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnsto For This Useful Post:
and what may be required is real player
We have real player though of course...

This has already been done by lots of folk on the beebhack wiki.
Thanks, I'll have a go with that

Some good links in there, why are we having this discussion, it appears that it's possible to download the video as an mp4. Would be nice for the download scripts to be wrapped though.

I think you're referring to the iPod/iPhone MP4 stream, which not only a) the BBC goes to great lengths to stop people downloading but also b) doesn't play on the N8x0, not enough grunt!

I think the best hope here is to use the Flash (Spark) stream, or the RTSP (N96) stream, both of which I know the N8x0 can already handle, it just needs a pleasant GUI.