I just bought a new car and i have a built in radio with line in. so i use my brodit clip to atach my n900 to the window and put in the line in cable to play music through the car speakers.

but its difficult and not very safe to use the n900 media player while driving.

I was wondering if there are bluetooth remote controls that can connect through bluetooth to my n900 and can be attached to my car's steering wheel.

My sennheiser bluetooth headset also has media buttons that work over bluetooth so i know it must be possible. but i can only find remotes for car radio's. are there any remotes for phones to attach to the steering wheel?

The Following User Says Thank You to sygys For This Useful Post:
I've also been thinking about this. If you have another tablet (770, N8x0 which are cheaply available), perhaps you could use bluemaemo or vncviewer to control the N900. If you go the vncviewer route (with n900 running x11vnc server), I believe you have to issue this dbus-send command on the n900 periodically to keep the vncviewer screen from going black:
Code:
while true; do dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_tklock_mode_change string:unlocked; sleep 10; done
As for where to place the bluetooth remote tablet, I'm not sure. If you place it in the middle of your steering wheel, it'll get in the way of the airbag. If you place it offcenter, it will look funny and perhaps get in the way of turning the steering wheel. If you placed stickers on the tablet corresponding to the media player buttons (so that you can get tactile feedback of where you should be pressing), you could place it further away (lap, center console) and not have to divert your attention away from the road.

Last edited by ILikeMaemo; 2010-09-30 at 22:02. Reason: fix punctuation mistake in the code portion

hehehe thanks for the headsup! but i would really like to see abluetooth solution without stickers

image below is for control an ipod. maybe it will work on the n900 but im not sure

Something like this:

but this is part of a nokia carkit. You cant tell me its not yet being invented... lol maybe i should make it!

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by ILikeMaemo View Post
I've also been thinking about this. If you have another tablet (770, N8x0 which are cheaply available), perhaps you could use bluemaemo or vncviewer to control the N900
I think I am missing something - how would adding another bulkier device into the setup to control the N900 make things any easier?

Code:
I believe you have to issue this dbus-send command on the n900 periodically to keep the vncviewer screen from going black:
This is damn useful though, I've been looking for something like this for ages. Thanks