Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi, Not sure if this is retated to your issue but I have not had a problem with corrupted files or the phone rebooting since I have carefully kept track of memory usage and religiously doing apt-get clean when ever I install or update. I just upgraded OO from sid yesterday with no problem using synaptic.
are you on pr1.3? do you mean apt-get clean on memo or easy debian? what do you mean you have kept track of memory usage, do you mean disk space usage?

thanks for the response, youre giving me hope..

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi, Not sure if this is retated to your issue but I have not had a problem with corrupted files or the phone rebooting since I have carefully kept track of memory usage and religiously doing apt-get clean when ever I install or update. I just upgraded OO from sid yesterday with no problem using synaptic.
I have thus far had issues with R (r-base), inkscape, and gnumeric.

ha ha! I've fscking solved the problem. basically apt-get pegs the cpu @100 percent, chokes the phone and the phone reboots as a result.

the solution is to use the "nice" command to run apt-get at a lower priority. I used the following command to install evolution

nice -n 15 apt-get install evolution

this runs apt-get at only 25 percent priority and gives the phone a chance to breathe. the installation was pretty rocky and i though it was dead at times but it always came back to life. it took a time to become responsive again after the installation.

i'm going to try nice -n 19 now which is the lowest priority you can go.

I suggest future updates to easy debian use the NICE command to run synaptic.

I've attached a screenshot of evolution which i never thought i'd see!

edit: if qole isn't haven't any problems with his power kernel, is it possible he's overclocking and getting around the saturated cpu problem that way without realising it?
Attached Images

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-02-18 at 01:29.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
are you on pr1.3? do you mean apt-get clean on memo or easy debian? what do you mean you have kept track of memory usage, do you mean disk space usage?

thanks for the response, youre giving me hope..
I am using pr1.3 Part of the problem may be that pr1.3 is less forgiving when you fill memory than the previous version. At least that seems to be the case for me. Anyways, try debian chroot. Do a df -h to see the memory usage in debian. I think the h stands for human. That is, the information is in megabytes so even I can under stand it! When you try installing software in debian /dev/loop0 can easily get filled. If you now try apt-get clean you should see some space clear up. Hopefully that helps and you can now install the software.

EDIT: Missed your post. Glad you found a solution.

Last edited by mscion; 2011-02-18 at 01:48.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
What's the best backup solution? rsync? I think sulu had recommended that earlier (see, I do read this thread).
Not sure if rsync is the best backup solution, but so far it works fine for me. I have a copy of a known working image on my N900 which I update if something mayor has changed in my ED working image and I have a 2nd image ion my laptop.

Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
I have thus far had issues with R (r-base), inkscape, and gnumeric.
I neither use r-base nor inkscape, but I have gnumeric installed and it works fine.
I run PR 1.3 and ED (v3e) from the first day and power kernel from extras (stable) repository (v42?) from the 2nd day (overclocked to 850MHz based on ideal preset), so I can't compare to a stock kernel or earlier ED versions. The only problem I have identified is that one must not upgrade libncurses5 to squeeze.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
i'm going to try nice -n 19 now which is the lowest priority you can go.
Have you also tried the default value 10? Is that not enough? (Would save some typing and would be "nicer" to remember.)

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
it's ok so long as you just want to install small trivial apps, but as far as installing anything useful, forget it.
I'm glad you had this idea about renicing, but actually I have installed quite a lot without the reboot problem, though on a phone that had not much else to do otherwise.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
I'm glad you had this idea about renicing, but actually I have installed quite a lot without the reboot problem, though on a phone that had not much else to do otherwise.
Interesting if using nice is a good safety measure for large downloads although I don't quite understand why. According to synaptic, evolution takes up about 75mb for download and eventually uses up about 175mb once installed. I too have installed much larger software without a problem. I can't try installing evolution right now because I don't have the space (need to do some house cleaning!). Can try later but if anyone has success without using nice I'd like to know.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
Where do you put the backup image? Does it matter?

hum.. not completely out of the woods yet. i found an install that still reboots the phone even with the 'nice' hack, a samba browser , package name : 'smb4k'.

the research continues. the next thing i'll look at is to see if tracker is making things worse as i have my suspicions that it is.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze