Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
I want a device I could talk to So that whenever it lags I could just talk to it not to lag anymore.
you can do that already, i think the difference is you want the device to actually listen in future...

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I'm pretty sure and really hope that one of the the major things will be OS independent phones. The big companies will not allow it for a while yet, but will soon realise that is what the customers want. At the moment smartphone/mini computer market is really immature.

Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
you can do that already, i think the difference is you want the device to actually listen in future...
Not only listen but also understand and think There's no use for a device which can listen but don't know what to respond right? I can't talk to anything like that

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Most current systems and aps could be improved with a bit of "self awareness". We are not necessarily talking big brother here, just connecting and using existing data.

A classic example would be my navigation app learning the shortcuts I take everyday, and use them as preferred routes.

In my calender, I have entries, for being on-call, which site I will be at on a work day, annual leave etc. It cannot be too much of a leap for my phone to identify, if, when and where I will be at work, and thenprogram the nav app accordingly, ready for it to leap into action when I start the car, and the device detects and connects to the Car stereo via bluetooth.

A fancy bit of scripting could be enough, launched via a d-bus script to interrogate the calendar firstly for days when I am at work (i.e. not weekends and leave), and then for the location of where I am supposed to be at, and then launch the satnav app with it as a destination.

Another lovely little app, is the beta app on symbian, which identifies your most used shortcuts, and place them on the homescreen.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
the future is probably here already given the interfacing capable through the likes of Lonworks, C-Bus, Honeywell, Siemens etc.
writing the code to utilise existing phone based hardware sensors and capabilities would be the catch and IMO (since most seem to only write for IOS) there'll be "an app for that" being released in short order.
the arse wiping is still gonna be the hard part. although my N900 has nice smooth rounded edges, the lack of opposable thumbs is going to cause problems with toilet paper manuipulation....... to fold or to scrunch, that is the question

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
the future is probably here already given the interfacing capable through the likes of Lonworks, C-Bus, Honeywell, Siemens etc.
writing the code to utilise existing phone based hardware sensors and capabilities would be the catch and IMO (since most seem to only write for IOS) there'll be "an app for that" being released in short order.
the arse wiping is still gonna be the hard part. although my N900 has nice smooth rounded edges, the lack of opposable thumbs is going to cause problems with toilet paper manuipulation....... to fold or to scrunch, that is the question
What a great way of explaining things.. and at a time when I am eating..

*loses appetite*

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i would like to see in the future if you could easily upgrade your phone with better sets like cpu,ram,gpu and so on just like on pcs and if from time to time some company would make an phone which is os-less and you could smash every os on it you want cause the drivers are already included.
that would be my phone
regards

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
The SVP/video that the OP was referring to - and the very open talk around BetaLabs about Bots, Feel, and Situations pretty much points to this idea of *some* device intelligence being added to the default UI. It really is a matter of time, and they've been getting some good feedback (it seems) from those three apps.

Personally speaking, Bots is one core reason that I can't see myself going to another mobile platform just yet. Yes, there are mobile platforms where you can download a 3rd party application, and then program it to do this or that given certain parameters. It is another thing for the device to "learn" and "adapt" without much user attention being taken. If you will, there's no need to train because the platform is built to learn from the outset.

This is what is meant by devices being smart, and I welcome it - as long as we can see it implemented in small steps (at least at first).

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Most current systems and aps could be improved with a bit of "self awareness". We are not necessarily talking big brother here, just connecting and using existing data.

A classic example would be my navigation app learning the shortcuts I take everyday, and use them as preferred routes.

In my calender, I have entries, for being on-call, which site I will be at on a work day, annual leave etc. It cannot be too much of a leap for my phone to identify, if, when and where I will be at work, and thenprogram the nav app accordingly, ready for it to leap into action when I start the car, and the device detects and connects to the Car stereo via bluetooth.

A fancy bit of scripting could be enough, launched via a d-bus script to interrogate the calendar firstly for days when I am at work (i.e. not weekends and leave), and then for the location of where I am supposed to be at, and then launch the satnav app with it as a destination.

Another lovely little app, is the beta app on symbian, which identifies your most used shortcuts, and place them on the homescreen.

I like this idea and was also reflecting on the original posts Coffee analogy too,

Say if every morning on your way to work, you stopped by Starbucks (or where ever?) and ordered your morning Brew. The phone could use the GPRS to locate how far away you are from the shop and when you are within a certain distance it could order your favorite coffee for you. Ready to be served as you enter the store. It may also record what you order on different days to vary the order for you. To add to this it will update the menu&price list to your phone if you want something else, recording the results and recording preferences over time.

Now this could also record your prefered method of travel such as walking, Bus or car and time when the order is sent respectively. And like gazza said, it can work around the week days or if you have a day off sick and not leave the house, it will not place the order as you will not be in the vacinity of the GPRS "trigger" zone.

Then ofcourse you may be running late one day and choose not to go for a coffee? You can then open a planned task menu and deselect the "Coffee" or any other "to-do" option from a drop down list or clear all items for that day. A calendar veiw could have deselect whole weeks at a time, like already posted.

Nice idea guys

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
The SVP/video that the OP was referring to - and the very open talk around BetaLabs about Bots, Feel, and Situations pretty much points to this idea of *some* device intelligence being added to the default UI. It really is a matter of time, and they've been getting some good feedback (it seems) from those three apps.

Personally speaking, Bots is one core reason that I can't see myself going to another mobile platform just yet. Yes, there are mobile platforms where you can download a 3rd party application, and then program it to do this or that given certain parameters. It is another thing for the device to "learn" and "adapt" without much user attention being taken. If you will, there's no need to train because the platform is built to learn from the outset.

This is what is meant by devices being smart, and I welcome it - as long as we can see it implemented in small steps (at least at first).
I would love to see Nokia port bots across to maemo, or for similar functionality to be coded.

This is exactly where I see things going, and I think that it is very exciting, that systems can learn and adapt to how we use them.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Tags
could tmo, get any worse, hot air baloon, skynet