Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Singapore Lunch

Malaysian Newspaper

Chinese Money

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
My own meagre efforts : Taken in Sliven, Bulgaria over Xmas, at dusk. Nothing terribly special, just liked the mix of shapes and colours.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Singapore Lunch
mhm... i'm feeling hungry... o.O

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Cool, I will try that in a bit...

Here we are:

K850i set of photos at ISO 100,200,400

N900 set of photos at ISO 100,200,400
Can't see it. I get this error:

This page is private.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Davis, CA
My fav so far (1 week):

Kind of grainy in low light:

Unfiltered:

Filtered with noiseware:

Unfiltered:

Filtered with noiseware:

Does anyone have any tips on how to take better shots in low light situations? Is there a way to eliminate or lessen the graininess?

EDIT: Maybe i'll read the thread!

I used the "Noiseware Community Edition" software linked on the previous page on 2 of these images. Posted filtered images above for comparison.

Last edited by jrox; 2010-01-27 at 03:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to popwar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by jrox View Post

Kind of grainy in low light:.
Too hard to notice with such small samples. For less noise, you will need lower ISO, longer exposure times, and therefore, a tripod or something to hold your N900 steady while taking the shot. Also, your subject has to stop breathing while you take the shot.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2010-01-27 at 12:15.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
The N900 shot has much better white balance, but yes the noise is bad. Even worst, that picture shows banding which means that the sensor is not good in high ISO situations. Try the same shot setting the ISO manually (100, 200, and 400) instead of leaving it in Auto. Also, just for the sake of experiment, try taking the shots with and without a back cover. Let us know what you find.
I didn't notice, but the noise level comes from the fact that in Auto mode the N800 can go higher than ISO400.
In that case it went to ISO800 and this is mainly due to the fact that it chose a shorter exposure time (1/15s) whereas the K850i went for a longer exp time (1/4s) and a lower ISO (250).
According to the Camera developers, the banding effect is an hardware limitation and there's no filter running to remove it.

It can be added though by the community:

Originally Posted by Alexander
There is a possiblity to experiment yourself by doing your own IPP (image post-processing element) and hooking it into camera application pipelines through /etc/gdigicam/*.conf -- see gdigicam source code for expected semantics of the element (and there is a need to switch off noise filtering in the omap3camd). There is also some additional work on documentation from our side but generally speaking, if someone wants to experiment with noise filters, it is possible
Full internal developers comments here:

Originally Posted by Internal Developer
Interesting comparison. There are a couple of things that are made visible in these two images:

- The biggest difference in the noise levels is caused by the very different autoexposure settings in the two devices: the N900 has used an exposure time of 1/15s and an ISO speed of 800; while the SE device used 1/4s and ISO 250. Higher ISO means a higher analog gain in the camera sensor, which is the main reason for the noise.

The reason N900 uses those settings, is that using 1/4s exposure time when the device is held in the hand is almost certain to cause blur into the image due to either hand shake, or simply that the subject is moving (take an image of people, they won't hold still for 1/4s unless you really ask them to). With the exposure time of 1/15s there are much better chances of getting a sharp image (or at least significantly less blur).

The settings on N900 can be changed so that it will use exposure settings more similar to the SE device: If you can rest N900 e.g. on a table so that you know it will not move during exposure, you can set it to the night scene mode (which allows the camera to use long exposure times), and maybe even also set ISO manually to a low value.

- The horizontal banding is a hardware limitation in the camera sensor in N900. It's known from other products using the same sensor, and as far as I know, there are no hardware updates coming to this sensor. And we don't have a noise filter for filtering out such structured noise.
Someone volunteers to develop a community supported Camera application that supports Manual settings?
Or even a "Tripod" auto setting that chooses lower exposure times with lower ISO?

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Here's mine:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, fremantle, gallery, image, maemo, maemo 5, n900, photo, photograph, photography, picture, show and tell