Active Topics

Why did you put your real name in there in the first place. Now it's all over.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi,

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
When I do a search for my name in google it directs me to my profile in maemo.org.
and i do not like that is there any way to hide that info or make it not show up in google search?
One way I can think of is cancel my subscription and delete my name and wait until it clears out from google cache but is there any other solution to that?
Perhaps if you link to your home page from your Maemo profile the page rank of that page will go up, and it will be the top result on Google. That was Maemo will only be second, and you won't be upset about people being misidrected.

If you search for my name on Google, I am 8 of the first 10 results - home page, CV, blog, some blog entries, mailing list posts, and right there (6th link, before my company & twitter ID) is my Maemo profile.

Is your goal to make yourself anonymous and invisible on the internet? If that's the case, I think your initial idea (deleting your account and asking for all data to be deleted) is your best bet. Your next best bet would be to operate online only under a pseudonym, never using your real name or a real email address.

Cheers,
Dave.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
May I suggest a quick fix? Change your name :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lwa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
If you put any data on the public web, Google will find it eventually, so this is no surprise.

I guess the real question is whether it was made clear to you, when you registered for maemo.org, which bits of info would be made public. Looking at https://garage.maemo.org/account/register.php, I see it doesn't say, so you may have a concern about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
So why are you googling yourself, somedude?
have you never been bored and thought "hey i'll just give myself a quick googling"? my namesakes include a gun/knuckleduster from the wild west days favoured by gamblers and prostitutes, and theres a statue of someone with my name in a park not far from my old house i've been meaning to go look at!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lwa View Post
May I suggest a quick fix? Change your name :P
legally it was very lenthy process so my friends call me some else.

by the way i changed my name to some bogus name in garage and now its back to my real name its weird.