Active Topics

Hi

I have an SD card with a cloned OS on it and I have placed the card into my desktop. I'm running Ubuntu but I am quite new to all this, how do I open a folder that has its permissions set by the N810?

Ubuntu is saying that I don't have permissions to enter the home/user/ folder on the SD card, I guess because it doesn't belong to this install of Ubuntu. How do I authorise?

Thanks

Steve

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
If you clone the OS on SD card, it has a Linux filesystem with permissions.
The /home/user folder has the owner "user". This name "user" is mapped to a number in the system, e.g. 1000. If your user on Ubuntu is mapped to the same number, then the folder will appear to be owned by you, otherwise not.
As root you can read everything. You can also change the permissions of /home/user and the files in there as root, so that other users can read/write it.

But as it is now, the /home/user on your SD card does not belong to the user that you are on your Ubuntu. That's why you get "permission denied".

If /media/disk is the mountpoint of the SD, you could do something like this as root:
Code:
chmod -R o+w /media/disk/home/user
Or you could use the graphical system tools of Ubuntu to create a new user with the same ID as "user" has on the tablet. You can see the ID of "user" if you enter "id" on tablet in the X-Terminal.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the help, at the terminal I am getting:

cannot access o+w no such file or directory

Any ideas?

Tried again with:

sudo chmod -R o+w /media/disk-1/home/user

and am getting permission denied.

Made a new user and it worked, thank you.