Notices

I'd hoped Canola2 would be the answer to my podcast prayers. Sadly, this doesn't appear to be the case.

I've been looking for an N800 podcast client which will allow me to schedule downloads for the early morning. This would allow me to listen to the latest episodes during the drive to/from work. Ideally, I wouldn't need to fiddle with the tablet while driving (dangerous!), meaning all the new episodes would simply play through.

The closest I'd found was bashpodder. When cronned it met almost all my needs, even writing a playlist file for all the downloaded episodes.

The only problem was that I'd begun to listen to more podcasts than I could fit into a 40min roundtrip commute. This means I'd always end up with podcasts sitting on my SD card with the original filenames, which are usually really ugly and without any real value as to the actual podcast episode information. I was forced to browse the filesystem trying to find the podcast I wanted clicking here and there. Not to mention that the default media player does not support media bookmarks, kudos to the Canola team for getting that right.

Anyway.....might anyone have any clues as to a client/tool/hack that would get me to the podcast nirvana I so desperately desire??

thanks in advance
Dave

Why don't you file some bug reports against Canola here : https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?fu...=125&atid=1989 and get the features you seek ? If there was a really good podcast client for the IT already i think it would be well known...

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I agree... Please be diligent in reporting feature requests (for all maemo apps!).

-T.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I feel your pain. Especially about the bookmarks. I haven't tried Canola2 yet so I can't speak to that. The closest on I have found was podsync (which is actually a GUI front end to bashpodder for Maemo).

It will create dated playlists for Media Player, and when your done with a playlist (IIRC) you can delete the playlist and the files will go along with it. I could be wrong about that last part though.

Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Why don't you file some bug reports against Canola here : https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?fu...=125&atid=1989 and get the features you seek ? If there was a really good podcast client for the IT already i think it would be well known...
Done, done, and done.

However, please realize I said client/tool/hack. If someone has cobbled together a script which works for them, but they haven't talked it up here, I'm asking them to chime in. I'm looking for anything anyone might be able to offer which might enable me to handle podcasts in the manner described.

Canola is a great looking media player, but the source isn't available. I filed the bugs in the spirit of this community we all know and love, but I now have to wait and see if my recommendations are implemented between now and whenever.

I didn't intend to focus so much on Canola with this post, but rather solicit any help which might be out there to satisfy my daily podcast fix.

If anyone has a tip, an idea, or any advice that will help me out in the short term, I'd be forever indebted. I'd even be interested to hear if anyone has found another device (except the ipod) which catches podcasts more sensibly than anything we have in Maemo. Blasphemy(!), I know.

thanks again
Dave

This is not a fix but have you ever tried Video Center? The name is misleading--it works with audio podcasts too. It doesn't do all you were asking for, but it's worth a look. I haven't used it recently so I am not sure if it's changed much. Just a suggestion.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/videocenter/

Last edited by lancewex; 2007-12-20 at 22:00.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
What I want to do is have audio podcasts on my N95 and video podcasts on my N800.

The hard part is finding N800 compatible video podcasts

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Laguna Beach, CA
Hey Dr. Tran, the thing you might want to do is suggest that your favorite podcasters create another feed so that N800 and N810 users (and there will be a million of us soon) can check out their podcast. I'm a podcaster myself and I know that I will be creating a video feed for Nokia devices once I get my 810 and have a platform to experiment with. Just a thought.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lafayette, LA
It would be pretty inconvenient for podcasters to put out separate videos for every type of device out there.

Does anyone know if Video Center is coming out for OS2008?

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hei guys, there's already a new version with lot of features requested, and we are planning how to do the best way the schedulling (or even if its possible to do as a separated plugin) to fullfill this needs.

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org