I've been trying out diablo for the last week, everything was pretty much working good, but then I decided to try the new email client modest, though I know there are some problems with it. I set up a Gmail IMAP and everything works fine, but now the automatic WLAN idle time I had set up never disconnects. I tried rebooting and changing settings in modest and on the WLAN idle time, but nothing made automatic disconnects come back. I also removed the Gmail IMAP account, but this does not fix the problem either.

Has anyone else seen this problem? any ideas on what might be causing this?

Also i have noticed a battery level indicator problem, this happened before I used modest. It only happens occasionally. Sometimes the battery level indicator just essentially stops, it will show the same level and number of days on standby and hours of full use(normally this number changes frequently based on how hard your pressing the system at the time you check), regardless of how long I use the device. I know that after using it for 5 hours continuously, there is no way the indicator should show a full battery and 5 more hours of full use, especially since it has been saying the same info for the last 3 hours. If I reboot then it will kick back in and it will show the battery at the half level and 1 to 2 hours of full usage.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Rebooting the device is very power draining. If you are doing light duty work you may really just have that much battery left.

Thanks for the reply Brontide. I'm pretty much absolutely sure that it stopped updating, because as I started to notice it, I would do some more testing. When the battery indicator is working properly If I play a video and then check how many hours of full usage I have left, it will drop dramatically from before I was running the video, this is normal and to be expected as it's calculating the number of hours at your current level of usage. When I notice that the number of hours of full usage has not changed for several hours, that's when I run a video test and yet there is no change in how many hours left, though after rebooting the video test will cause the full use time to dramatically drop while it's running as opposed to when it's stopped.

It took me a while to notice this, and I think the only reason I did is because I was using it continuously for so much and really paying attention to battery life.

I'm wondering if many of the people with battery problems on the n800(which I have) and diablo are actually thinking they have more time on their systems left because the indicator has stopped updating. If you only use your device a little bit throughout the day, you really need this to be always working, as it's pretty hard to gauge how much you've really used it. If the indicator has stopped updating at some point, then you will be very prone to thinking your battery drained very quickly while it is in standby.

While I realize rebooting takes some battery power, I've never had a change from showing all four battery levels to just one battery level on the battery image at any time I've rebooted in OS2007 or chinook, and this is what I'm seeing in some of these instances.

I've seen it a few times on my 770, where the battery has been pretty close to full and then suddenly in the red zone upon rebooting. Happens with my iPod, too.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Originally Posted by Slakker View Post
I've seen it a few times on my 770, where the battery has been pretty close to full and then suddenly in the red zone upon rebooting. Happens with my iPod, too.
Well that sounds like an actual battery problem, which is not what I'm experiencing(and have never experienced so far). While the battery display is saying the battery is full and has many hours of full use, I know from my usage that this display is pretty much impossible, that is, I've just used the thing for six straight hours with wifi, BT, highest backlight settings, continous mutliple browsing windows and intermittent video watching as well as other apps running, there is no way I should still have another 5 hours more full of use, so it is no surprise to me that when I reboot, it shows me a battery display inline with my usage.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Actually, I pretty much wrote this problem off as the typical problem that most smallish gadgets have accurately guessing how much battery power they have left...until today. My device reported 6 days standby, 4 hours in use, but after I ran battery-status from the command line it seemed to cause the battery applet to update, at which point it showed "Low Battery." I didn't leave my tablet on to see if that was really the case. Maybe I will next time.

To anyone who runs into this problem frequently, try installing battery-status from nit-apps.com . After you run your tablet for a while and still see the same non-updated power levels for the battery, try running battery-status from the X Terminal. It seems to force an update of the battery applet and also gives you accurate (different at least...) estimate of battery life left. This won't solve anyone's problem, but the more info we can gather on this the better...

-John

thanks Johnx, I actually have been using tthe battery-status app, to get a better idea and figure out more on the battery.

the good news is that the os update today fixed my modest wlan automatic idle shutoff problem. yeah nokia

It's possible that the battery weirdness is fixed too, but that will take me longer to determine.