Posts: 9 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Germany
Thx qole for your quick answer!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
groxx: make sure you insert the modules in Maemo, before starting Debian. You need modules compiled for your kernel.
So I checkt out the loaded modules before starting Debian by

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# lsmod | grep fuse
fuse                   47900  0
meaning fuse has been loaded and nobody is using it.
The file /var/run/onfirstchroot-ext.rc (executable) includes the following lines:

Code:
echo Loading fuse
modprobe fuse
sleep 1
chown root.users /dev/fuse
so it says

Code:
ls -la /dev/ | grep fuse
crw-rw----    1 root     users     10, 229 Jun 21 14:56 fuse

more /etc/group | grep fuse
fuse:x:101:user
But running an encfs-command gives me

Code:
encfs ~/.foobar ~/foobar
EncFS Password: 
fuse faild. Common problems:
 - fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
 - invalid options -- see usagemessage
Just an idea: Is it possible that fuse in kernel-power47 isn't compatible with encfs from lenny repositories?

--

@mscion: "It would be great if there was a mobile version of debian that could also be used to make phone calls, something with a GUI... " - Heard people saying they were working on it but it seems to be very difficult make the phone working.

The Following User Says Thank You to groxx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
It seems to me that one of the first things we need to know is, does the Harmattan onscreen VKB pass keystrokes through to all apps, or is it limited to a small set of "compliant" apps, like the N900 keyboard?

I suspect we'll need to re-invent the wheel, maybe we can grab the MeeGo VKB and use it for Easy Debian...

We won't know until we're able to start experimenting, but the N9 supposedly has a working USB OTG, and BT, so we can theoretically get external keyboards working. Remembering how much they stripped out of the N900, we might have a lot of hacking to do first.
Qole: Good luck. I hope you get it to work.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
groxx: There's some info about encfs in the Wiki (I didn't put it there). Perhaps it might help.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Germany
@qole: jap, found that already but thanks anyway.
  • Removed encfs, checked repositories, reinstalled encfs.
  • Checkt whether onfirstchroot-ext.rc is executable and contains correct code
  • checkt users of groups
  • restarted Debian several times

... no luck at all :-(

I've got a bad feeling about kernel-power47 beeing responsible on that although fuse is available. Maybe someone using this kernel version could verify?

Last edited by groxx; 2011-06-22 at 22:51.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by groxx View Post
@mscion: "It would be great if there was a mobile version of debian that could also be used to make phone calls, something with a GUI... " - Heard people saying they were working on it but it seems to be very difficult make the phone working.
Good one! A bit redundant there!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
It seems to me that one of the first things we need to know is, does the Harmattan onscreen VKB pass keystrokes through to all apps, or is it limited to a small set of "compliant" apps, like the N900 keyboard?

I suspect we'll need to re-invent the wheel, maybe we can grab the MeeGo VKB and use it for Easy Debian...

We won't know until we're able to start experimenting, but the N9 supposedly has a working USB OTG, and BT, so we can theoretically get external keyboards working. Remembering how much they stripped out of the N900, we might have a lot of hacking to do first.
In other words we might need something like a QT-powered Xephyr. Maybe we can ask Nokians and testers who already have the N9 to install Xephyr and launch some simple X program (Xev?) to see if kb events get passed...

In any casr, nothing seems to infer that the N9 has USB OTG (or host). At least on published specs as today. So, maybe only BT.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by groxx View Post
Just an idea: Is it possible that fuse in kernel-power47 isn't compatible with encfs from lenny repositories?
I can't see anything wrong in what you did - seems to be exactly the same as I did but with the standard kernel (the wiki entry is from me). Have you tried encfs from the squeeze repository instead of the one from lenny?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
In any case, nothing seems to infer that the N9 has USB OTG (or host). At least on published specs as today. So, maybe only BT.
I asked about OTG (and HDMI out) on Twitter and got:

Originally Posted by @Kjelstrup
It has USB OTG but no HDMI out.
So that's some good news in terms of keyboard input. The video output continues to be disappointing, though. It probably has the same video out as the N900, just a very low quality clone of the device's screen.

qole, i've asked few pages ago, but without response (I'm sure thats because many people posted on other things after that) - is there any progress on fixing gconf2 upgrade problem?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not demanding anything, it just would be great to get detailed info. It's becoming more and more serious problem - now even simple and not-so-critical apps like dosbox (debian version, of course) need gconf2 update, not to mention thing like LibreOffice. Slowly, but unavoidably, we're getting into state of obsolete with our Ed image - that would be SEVERE loss. I really LOVE using ED, but upgrading on current state become very big hassle, if not impossible task (less and less backports + Debian developers doesn't care much - nor should they - about us on ED without possibility to upgrade problematic, yet critical packages like gconf2).

All info regarding this highly appreciated. It really, really would be shame and pitiful to see our bellowed ED not upgradeable in near future.

Estel: If you must upgrade your apps, and you can't avoid the gconf upgrade using
Code:
apt-get --no-install-recommends
then you might have to hack your Easy Debian by upgrading, then replacing the new files with the old ones, like I had to do with the audio system...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze