Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
Nothing but my lack of coding skills/knowledge!
If you are interested, just give it a try, its not too hard, but takes time.

I learned it also just by just doing it.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post
@noetus

How can i make a symlink to my video/photo/mp3 folder and let dropbox sync it?

Thanks. :-)
The longish thread on DropN900 actually contains all the instructions you need, but it is longish, and they are spread out. And it took me a while to get used to the interface of DropN900, it is really unintuitive.

I do this with a Mac, which makes it really easy, since it has a Unix-like OS and thus supports symlinks in much the way the N900 does. You create your Dropbox folder in the N900 above MyDocs, e.g., at /home/user/Dropbox (since MyDocs does not support symlinks) and when inside that folder, from x-term use ln -s with the path to the folder you want to sync. Then do the same on the Mac side. Then in DropN900, you just have to press 'Sync' and follow the prompts and it will upload/download to keep the folders in sync. On the Mac side you will see little pop-ups as the files come in!

There are caveats and restrictions. Firstly, I have not tried to do this with large folders. If you want to do it with large folders, I would copy them first and just use Dropbox to keep them updated. Secondly, when DropN900 sees a file on the Dropbox server that it does not have, it does not know whether the file was created on the N900 or deleted on the server side. This is not a limitation of DropN900 as far as I know, but of the API that Dropbox(R) makes available to the world. Sometimes it will prompt to delete the local files or download the remote ones, sometimes it doesn't and just wants to download the remote ones, so this requires some care. Thirdly, in Windows symlinks are not as easy as on a Mac, but still quite possible; see here for example. Fourth, DropN900 handles media files stored on the device differently; you sync these by <Main Menu> -> Sync Media. It only syncs media on internal storage (not on the memory card) and a user has extended the functionality to allow local deletion of files not on the server (see the thread), but there is nothing to stop you from also symlinking your media files to the Dropbox folder just like any other files.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the helpful feedback, noetus, i will give it a good try. And also give a proper reading of the dropn900 thread just to catch any missing things. :-)

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
There are at least 3 good DropBox apps on the Nokia Market now. It would be useful if the N9 had integrated "Upload to Dropbox" option in the menu system for all media files. Thoughts on this anyone?

And is any developer interested in making an app for box.net (where i have free 50GB storage ).

Last edited by afaq; 2011-12-07 at 11:23.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
There are at least 3 good DropBox apps on the Nokia Market now. It would be useful if the N9 had integrated "Upload to Dropbox" option in the menu system for all media files. Thoughts on this anyone?

And is any developer interested in making an app for box.net (where i have free 50GB storage ).
The documentation on this seems very thin (like the telepathy messaging plugins).

So if anyone has guidance for those two points or example code, it would be nice to share this

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
There are at least 3 good DropBox apps on the Nokia Market now.
There are exactly ZERO good DropBox apps for the N9. I have tried them all, and they are, basically, a waste of time, and do nothing that I can't do just by logging into the DropBox site. And one of them (Dropian) is almost impossible to get to use on the N9 and appears to be just an afterthought for that device (the initial login screen is extremely finicky).

The WHOLE point of a DropBox client is to sync files locally. Isn't that what people use it for on their computers? Why should this be any different for our phones? I don't get what the authors of these three DropBox clients were thinking, I just don't get it, don't get it, don't get it, it drives me crazy.

On the N900 I have folders and files symlinked to my DropBox folder and this gets synced in its entirety to the online DropBox folder which in turn is automatically synced with various computers I have, where those folders are in turn symlinked with files in various places on their respective filesystems. While those computers automatically stay in sync with the DropBox folder, there is a slight inconvenience in the case of the N900 which is that I have to initiate the sync manually - but this is a tiny price to pay and is probably the behaviour you want on a mobile device that may have low bandwidth/high cost connectivity some or much of the time.

So I just need one click of a button on the N900 and then everything is in sync everywhere as the sync from the N900 is both up and down. And because of the power of symlinking, the synced files and folders can be ANYWHERE on the filesystems of ANY of my devices.

Now if I could just get my N9 into this sync circle ALL my devices could stay in sync with each other. But NONE of the current DropBox clients provide this essential feature, which as I said seems to be the whole point of DropBox, and I am left gnashing my teeth....

Are the DropBox clients on Android and iOS devices this bad as well? If so, this reinforces my view that the N900 is different, and for some reason people put up with (severely) limited functionality on their smartphones as a matter of routine, and developers develop this way, even though the iPhone and Android smartphones are computers too. If that mentality is now spilling over to the N9, it further undermines the claim that it is a successor to the N900, which means it really was a unique and one-off device, a true tiny mobile computer with telephony functions, with developers that developed that way on it, not a smartphone, with (apparently) all the artificially imposed limitations that come with that. All of this makes me very sad, because what I want is a mobile computer with telephony functions, not a walled-in device.

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
After reading your comments, I agree with you. I never used dropbox on the N900 extensively so never understood the functionality that existed. It comes down to your expectations.

Please leave this feedback on the apps listing and/or email the creators to give suggestions.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
If so, this reinforces my view that the N900 is different, and for some reason people put up with (severely) limited functionality on their smartphones as a matter of routine.
Agreed, the drop box app of the N900 3 months after launch was waaay better than the N9 ones.
Oh wait no, it didn't existed :/

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Are the DropBox clients on Android and iOS devices this bad as well?
I've been using DropBox in a SGS2 and it works perfect, the same way it works in the desktop application.

The only difference (which I find very useful) is that it does not download all files automatically, instead, it download them when needed.

The file manager in Android itself has an option to "share" to DropBox, so you can upload a file anytime.

I have not tested yet If other folders can be sync'd.

The Following User Says Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
I've been using DropBox in a SGS2 and it works perfect, the same way it works in the desktop application.
Can you symlink your files/folders in other parts of the filesystem of the SGS2 to the DropBox folder so enabling you to sync files/folders from anywhere in the device without manually copying them (as you can with the desktop versions)? I suspect that the Android OS does not allow you to do this, but I am not an Android user.

On the N9 you have this capability out of the box. But none of the three existing DropBox applications for the N9 allows you to take advantage of it, unfortunately. Perhaps they will be improved to allow that.

@erendorn: You are right that I may have been too hasty in my judgment, since the N9 is only so recently out. I guess time will tell...

Last edited by noetus; 2011-12-07 at 14:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post: