Notices

AV1 and AV2 are as shown here:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panaso...ma-TV-photos-2
(second pic)

AV3 has a 3-color connector as used by the N900, above which is a round multi-pin connector marked "S-V". A white line connects the round connector to the three colored ones, so I guess they are somehow all AV3. I can't find a picture online; if needed I'll snap one and attach or send to you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by chill View Post
AV1 and AV2 are as shown here:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panaso...ma-TV-photos-2
(second pic)

AV3 has a 3-color connector as used by the N900, above which is a round multi-pin connector marked "S-V". A white line connects the round connector to the three colored ones, so I guess they are somehow all AV3. I can't find a picture online; if needed I'll snap one and attach or send to you.
Cool, thanks! So, AV1 and AV2 here are SCART connectors, and AV3 is apparently a shared Composite/S-Video port. Hmm. I suppose they would use something other than SCART for models sold outside of Europe, which is why they only use generic "AV" labels here...

I suppose I'll have to just mark them all as "Video" inputs, rather than try to predict which command maps to which type of input.

Ok, I've pushed a quick update to Pierogi, which should be in extras-devel soon. I'm still not sure I've got the Panasonic protocol right, but with luck, this time the discrete inputs should work. (Also, the "Aspect Ratio" button on the Utility panel, which is also using the same sub-device number.)

Honestly, my problem is that I've got two slightly different descriptions of the protocol, and the config files I've got don't seem to be using either of them. So, I'm kind of guessing here. I'll have to do some more research to determine exactly how this protocol works.

Also, I think the reason why the dropdown menu choices weren't doing anything for you is due to my UI design. I couldn't fit all the discrete input options into a single page of buttons, so I decided to place all the choices into a "combo box", letting you pick the specific option you wanted. However, in order to correctly mimic a remote control (which will repeat a given command as long as you hold down the button), I also created a separate push-button control. So, in order to switch to a specific discrete input, you first need to choose your desired input from the combo box on the bottom right, then press and hold the "Change Input To:" button on the bottom left. I'm sure there's a better way to do this! If anybody has some good UI pointers for me, I'd love to hear them.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Cool, thanks! So, AV1 and AV2 here are SCART connectors, and AV3 is apparently a shared Composite/S-Video port. Hmm. I suppose they would use something other than SCART for models sold outside of Europe, which is why they only use generic "AV" labels here...
To be precise, in the menu on the TV, the labels are AV1, AV2/S and AV3/S. I don't know why AV2 has an S.

The two-step procedure to change the input is fine with me. I don't think one changes the input that often, no? In fact, that's how I thought it worked before I tried it.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Panasonic Viera feedback: Video1-3 switch to AV1-3 ok. Also PC still works. But the other commands do nothing. Also, there still is no way to switch back to TV input.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Panasonic Viera feedback: Video1-3 switch to AV1-3 ok. Also PC still works. But the other commands do nothing. Also, there still is no way to switch back to TV input.
Ok then, it seems that I'm still sending the sub-device number wrong. (That, or I'm not calculating one of the checksum values correctly.) I'll need to do some more homework on this problem.

I haven't yet found a discrete command to switch to TV input. There is the "Input" command (which I thought was a TV/AV toggle button). Hmm. I guess I've got a variety of items to study this weekend. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Well, another iteration of Pierogi is now on its way up to extras-devel. For this one, I've gone ahead and rewritten the Panasonic TV protocol itself; my latest guess is that I was using a variant of the correct protocol, which only by chance happened to match the correct commands when the subdevice value was 0... Anyway, I think this version should work better. But yeah, please be prepared for bugs.

BTW, I think I know why AV2 on that TV includes an "S" -- on that photo, the first SCART port has "RGB" and "Video" labels above it (which I am guessing means it supports Component and Composite inputs), but the second one has "RGB", "Video", and "S-Video" labels. So, it would seem that the AV2 port can do more than the AV1 port can...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
I also have a Panasonic Viera TV, in my case model number TH-42PZ8ES. FYI, it has 2 x HDMI, 2 x SCART (AV1 & AV2 of which AV2 supports S-Video), 1 x Composite & 1 x S-Video on the front panel (both of which share the AV3 input), and 1 x Component. See pics below. Anyhow, just updated to version 1.1.39 and it seems to work much better than the 1.1.37 build, so I think you're on to something, Copernicus

Testing with the "1b" preset the 1.1.39 build properly switches between AV1-AV3, HDMI1-HDMI2 but not to Component. As the "Antenna" button (I assume supposed to switch to analogue TV) was disabled, I couldn't test it out.

For reference, I took a few photos which might or might not be helpful, see attachments:
1. List of inputs available -- note that for AV2/AV3 you switch between "regular" and S-Video mode by pressing right and left (see the two boxes on the right).
2. Back panel showing input ports.
3. Front panel showing input ports.
4. Remote control, where the two buttons to the top-right control input -- "TV" switches between analogue & digital TV and "AV" brings up the list of inputs (pressing it repeateadly cycles through the list).

I really appreciate the continued development on this by the way, it's one of the most useful applications for the N900 in my opinion. Wish one could somehow crank the IR transmitter up a few watts in power, but that's probably not going to happen
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
Anyhow, just updated to version 1.1.39 and it seems to work much better than the 1.1.37 build, so I think you're on to something, Copernicus
Great! (I'm always nervous any time I make a significant change to the protocol code, as one little bug there can make entire keysets unusable...)

Testing with the "1b" preset the 1.1.39 build properly switches between AV1-AV3, HDMI1-HDMI2 but not to Component. As the "Antenna" button (I assume supposed to switch to analogue TV) was disabled, I couldn't test it out.
Hmm. I'll have to take another look at the component commands; they are using the same subdevice number as the HDMI commands, so I thought they would work. More homework for me. And yeah, the "Antenna" button should be a direct switch to the internal TV tuner, but I still haven't found any such command in the config files I'm using.

1. List of inputs available -- note that for AV2/AV3 you switch between "regular" and S-Video mode by pressing right and left (see the two boxes on the right).
Just to ask, can you use the left and right buttons on Pierogi's "Menu" panel to switch between regular and s-video? (I'm hoping it should just work as normal...)

4. Remote control, where the two buttons to the top-right control input -- "TV" switches between analogue & digital TV and "AV" brings up the list of inputs (pressing it repeateadly cycles through the list).
Aha! Ok, so I am definitely missing a command here. Hopefully, the "Input" button on the "Utility" panel should bring up the list of inputs. (I guess I should get this command onto the "Input" panel somewhere, shouldn't I...) I don't think I've found a command that switches between digital and analog tuners yet, though. More research for me, then. And thank you for the pictures!

I really appreciate the continued development on this by the way, it's one of the most useful applications for the N900 in my opinion. Wish one could somehow crank the IR transmitter up a few watts in power, but that's probably not going to happen
Ah, I wish I could, but I think it'd require entirely new hardware. (BTW, a bit off topic, but I've put in a request for the upcoming Jolla tablet to add a CIR port so that it can be used as a universal remote. There's apparently a small chance that some changes to the hardware can still be made before they start being produced; and apparently, suggestions with more votes gain higher priority by the folks at Jolla. In any case, I'm certainly happy to see new Qt-based mobile devices entering the market...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Great! (I'm always nervous any time I make a significant change to the protocol code, as one little bug there can make entire keysets unusable...)
Yep, definately better to take it slow and adjusting it bit by bit.

Just to ask, can you use the left and right buttons on Pierogi's "Menu" panel to switch between regular and s-video? (I'm hoping it should just work as normal...)
Indeed, left/right from "Menu" switches between "regular" and S-Video perfectly. And, yes, the "Input" button (i.e. "AV" on my remote) on the "Utility" tab properly shows the list of inputs, so essentially one can switch to each input via "Input" button and arrow/select buttons on "Menu" tab.

Aha! Ok, so I am definitely missing a command here. Hopefully, the "Input" button on the "Utility" panel should bring up the list of inputs. (I guess I should get this command onto the "Input" panel somewhere, shouldn't I...) I don't think I've found a command that switches between digital and analog tuners yet, though. More research for me, then. And thank you for the pictures!
Probably is missing, yes. Tried with all three presets (1/1a/1b) and same thing. Maybe the other guys with Vieras here can confirm this as well? However, I would say fixing Component input is probably not the most important thing as many people, including myself, very rarely (if ever) use Component nowadays. Being able to switch back to tuner/TV/"Antenna" I deem much more important.

Ah, I wish I could, but I think it'd require entirely new hardware.
Yep, I know Would be cool with a >1W IR transmitter, but I guess a transmitter much more powerful than the one in N900 would probably not even be legal in most countries (?).

(BTW, a bit off topic, but I've put in a request for the upcoming Jolla tablet to add a CIR port so that it can be used as a universal remote. There's apparently a small chance that some changes to the hardware can still be made before they start being produced; and apparently, suggestions with more votes gain higher priority by the folks at Jolla. In any case, I'm certainly happy to see new Qt-based mobile devices entering the market...)
Ah cool, yeah I hope it makes it in. Being able to have IR tx/rx on a mobile/tablet device is such a rare thing, strangely enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control