Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
As an engineer, the scenario of interference from handheld portable devices causing problems for modern airplanes is not realistic.

However, the real danger that is being mitigitate by turning off all portable electronic devices during takeoff and landing is that they don't want there to be ANY distractions should anything go wrong.

In the event of an accident they want to have the full and undivided attention of every passenger in order to communicate what to do.

Every second that you save while trying to evacuate a plane is critical. That's why there is supposed to be nothing blocking your feet while seated.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Wait... Qole's last name is Tech? He wins

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2009-05-26 at 16:47.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
Wait... Qole's last name is Tech? He wins
Nah, his last name is "Pejorian". I think "Tech" is his middle name.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
"Qole Tech" is the Flickr account I use for posting technology stuff, which ends up being mostly tablet stuff. I have another Flickr account for family / other stuff.

Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
As an engineer, the scenario of interference from handheld portable devices causing problems for modern airplanes is not realistic.

However, the real danger that is being mitigitate by turning off all portable electronic devices during takeoff and landing is that they don't want there to be ANY distractions should anything go wrong.

In the event of an accident they want to have the full and undivided attention of every passenger in order to communicate what to do.

Every second that you save while trying to evacuate a plane is critical. That's why there is supposed to be nothing blocking your feet while seated.
Yeah, that's definately one of the reasons in and of itself. Hence why you can't have headphones on or other things like that during takeoff land landing. That I can see as being totally logical. The other restrictions when in flight however are a whole other thing.