Notices

Poll: Would you like to see Morrowind on the N900?
Poll Options
Would you like to see Morrowind on the N900?

This is a similar thread to my earlier Snake thread over here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32907

No doubt about that Morrowind was special when it launched. It's still considered as one of the best RPG:s, if not the best. As time has passed by, Morrowinds technical features are no longer impressive... on a supercomputer.

Anyway, Morrowind is a really nice game, and in case you've somehow missed it, you might want to check it out (search engines might be your best friends here, and remember that you have more than one friend; in case you didn't understand the metaphor, I obviously meant that there are other search engines besides Google), since you looked into this thread.

There will mainly be 2 different barriers for porting it over to the N900: technical limitations and legacy issues. I am no expert of any of these, so it'll be up to you how you solve this, if you do consider this project.

Let's begin with the perhaps least important issue, which I don't have much to say about, since as I said earlier, I'm no expert in this area (or in anything else for that matter). Sure the legacy issues seem to be a big question mark, but how did the SNES emulator survive? We all know how protective Ninty is, so that couldn't be legal, but yet it hasn't been stopped. If you consider this project, then you'll have to be aware of the trouble you might get into. I don't know much more about that, so that's all I've to say about it.

The second limitation would be the technical one. This will be a small consideration of the technical possibilities of the N900 and how much is really needed. Keep in mind of that I'm not familiar with the Maemo OS, so I can't tell much about the difference in efficiency and software dependent performance. I assume of that this will be done as a proper port, and not as an emulator, with decreases the overall performace by about 12 times.

For those who doesn't know, Morrowind is a huge open-ended game, just like the Maemo OS itself. The open nature leads to higher required amount of application memory, while the lack of superb graphics doesn't add much pressure for the GPU. However, the graphics will most likely be needed to be further downgraded for the N900, which can't boast with its 14 MPolys/s GPU speed (the PSP has about 30 for instance).

But I don't think this will be much of an issue. One that have played Morrowind doesn't most likely care so much about graphics anyway, especially considering the game type and what else it offers. But, as I said earlier, except a rather small graphical sacrifice for the N900 port, unfortunately it can't be avoided. And it will look much worse than Bounce Evolution if you want a fair comparison. This can be easily explained, considering the amount of items that have to be loaded at the same time.

As for the remaining N900 hardware (where the GPU is the biggest drawback), I'd say some more sacrifices must be done for the ARM Cortex, but the total amount of application memory (RAM + virtual) should be enough for this purpose.

The CPU won't only limit the number of polygons on the screen, but also the loading times, and we all know that an open-world game isn't in its finest version when it's affected by a huge amount of lag. But keep in mind that a gimped Morrowind is still a great game, sacrifices have to be done, else it won't be availible at all! And the N900 port will definitely still be playable...

Another thing that's worth mentioning is that Morrowind was fully playable on the original Xbox from 2001. Obviously the Xbox version was somewhat inferior to the one on a high-end PC, but still, it does say a lot about the game's requirements for an acceptable level of performance. In case anyone doesn't know, the most important specs of the Xbox 1 (which was in my opinion the best console by far for its time) can be found below.

CPU: Custom 733 MHz Intel Pentium III "Coppermine-based" processor
GPU: 233 MHz nVidia NV2A
RAM: 64 MB of DDR SDRAM @ 200 MHz

Keep in mind that this game was optimized for these specs, while the port obviously won't be. N900 does at least easily eclipse the Xbox at the memory part.

Maybe Morrowind on the N900 will be possible after all, but it will require a bunch of time and work, so I wouldn't expect it in the nearest future. This thread should be seen as an idea among many others, nothing else than that.

When, if at all, this come true, it'll definitely become one of the N900's selling points among gamers, which should be one of N900's target audiences. Morrowind is one of the best RPG:s ever made, if not the best, and that's not an opinion, it's a fact!

In the matter of speaking, after doing this tough work (if someone will do it, that is), an addition of the Game of the Year content (the two expansion packs) as well as the official plug-ins should be taken as granted, right? It won't differ in difficulty compared to the rest of the game, and it's always nice to have more content (quality content, that is)!

How to run Morrowind on Linux:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Linux

How about you? What do you think?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Won't work for various reasons:

* Raw power of device is too slow for [such] performance.
* OpenGL ES 2.0 is used on N900, not OpenGL or DirectX. So you must emulate DirectX and/or OpenGL.
* WINE is a Win32/x86 API implementation. You'd need a x86-32 emulator which, on x86-64 (AMD64) works well with on hardware level with no performance loss, but on ARM will require software (such as QEMU) and have substantial performance loss.
* So the game must be ported to Linux/ARM, or ARM and then compatibility layer for Linux.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
I assume of that this will be done as a proper port, and not as an emulator
Good luck "porting" closed-source games... The engine would have to be rewritten from scratch. Sorry to disappoint but it's extremely unlikely that you will ever see Morrowind on Maemo.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Not gonna happen. /thread

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Not gonna happen.
There is open source engine in early alpha http://crystalscrolls.sourceforge.net/ so never say never.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
And there is http://openmw.sourceforge.net too so two engines actually.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
would love to see it, but i think it's not possible...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Both in an early state, primary target probably not Linux/ARM or OpenGL ES 2.0; instead Linux/x86-32 with decent graphics card. Performance of engines is important too. The minimum hardware required will give you not a good, acceptable experience, and the interface is not optimized for a 800x480 resolution. Realistically speaking it is better to move on and just forget about this...

i loved Morrowind, and would be delighted to see it on the n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to REMFwhoopitydo For This Useful Post:
I love Morrowind, but I don't think it would run well on this hardware. Not to mention then you couldn't use mods!

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...