Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
You know, pali, you can just package your kernel with the same package name as the power kernel - that's what lxp did when packaging power 46wl1, and so dpkg and apt-get see it as just another higher version of the power-kernel package, so there's none of this fiddling with either installing power kernel than your over it kernel, to get the dependencies right, or repackaging kernel power settings to not depend on kernel power.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
You know, pali, you can just package your kernel with the same package name as the power kernel - that's what lxp did when packaging power 46wl1, and so dpkg and apt-get see it as just another higher version of the power-kernel package, so there's none of this fiddling with either installing power kernel than your over it kernel, to get the dependencies right, or repackaging kernel power settings to not depend on kernel power.
Honestly, I think the same (or just create new garage account with name power-kernel-pali and create debs with using of fields "replaces" and "provides" or whatever they're called), but I also think that (to be fair) he should wait with it untill someone accepts or rejects him from being power-kernel maintainer. These are unfortunately not official power-kernels yet, so they should not use their package names yet, sadly. So overall, I think that change of name for now is good option, but in long term I agree with you.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Honestly, I think the same (or just create new garage account with name power-kernel-pali and create debs with using of fields "replaces" and "provides" or whatever they're called), but I also think that (to be fair) he should wait with it untill someone accepts or rejects him from being power-kernel maintainer. These are unfortunately not official power-kernels yet, so they should not use their package names yet, sadly. So overall, I think that change of name for now is good option, but in long term I agree with you.
Agreed with waiting to see if someone accepts/rejects him as power kernel maintainer...

On the other hand, humans tend to get possessive of their projects, and titan certainly put a lot of time and effort into the power kernel originally.

Anyway, by the same logic though, lxp's power kernel package wasn't exactly an official power kernel either. It was effectively almost the same, just with cfg80211 compiled as module instead of statically linked or whatever - yet I can install lxp's power kernel debs, and then power kernel settings installs just fine. Just because it's not an official package doesn't mean it can't be packaged so that it accurately represents itself as a sufficient dependency for the power kernel settings package - seeing as how that's what those fields are for and that is exactly true - it is a sufficient dependency for power kernel settings.

One thing I kinda want to see though, semi-off-topic as this is, is a kernel compiled in such a way that the lxp modules are the default wifi modules - or even only wifi modules. Combined with the osso-wlan fix (except using an identical version number field, so that it doesn't break the update process... actually, can't that osso-wlan fix be placed inside the CSSU? Seems like a good place for it. I'll bug someone about that later), there's really not a good reason to stay with the "stock" wifi driver... we've got a bunch of people on the same driver, and as far as I know, the majority do not have any actual bugs from the thing. I remember people complaining early on about it using up battery quickly, but I had no such thing (unless I left the card in monitor mode for hours... but that's a bit self explanatory). I mean, it was lxp's original monitor mode patches that went into the default wifi driver in the power kernel - so the power kernel already did something along these lines in the first place. It's just that lxp's release of the injection mode patches went through such a circumstancially different path, first as a contract for neopwn then through a donation scheme, and only then completely free-to-download, and by then Titan wasn't actually that active anymore.

I mean, right now I have done this by replacing the scripts that Advanced Interface Switcher uses to load/unload the wifi drivers with modified versions (to give full instead of relative paths) of the load.sh/unload.sh scripts. This means I only deal with the stock wifi driver if I manually modprobe it, or right after a reboot (which I usually just unload the wifi driver at that point until I need to use wifi, so mostly I'm already on always-lxp-driver use... It does more when needed than the stock one, and does the same stuff the stock one does without no new problems that I've ever seen... *Shrug*

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ stockton
@miiak
thank you very much you kernel power settings works a charm with no conflicts in package's this whole kernel set seems complete now
and thank god for overclocking lol

i have the same problem when i choose kernel 46

i was tired this post 75* many times and it's now working with my mobile

when i type uname -r

it's told me
2.6.28-omp1

but it's on the Original Kernal

please help me

thank you

Originally Posted by mesho123 View Post
i have the same problem when i choose kernel 46

i was tired this post 75* many times and it's now working with my mobile

when i type uname -r

it's told me
2.6.28-omp1

but it's on the Original Kernal

please help me

thank you
mesho123, please type the following text into terminal (these are three commands beggining with "ls" and one command beginning with "cat"):
Code:
ls /boot/ >> /home/user/MyDocs/helpmelog.txt
ls /boot/multiboot/ >> /home/user/MyDocs/helpmelog.txt
ls /etc/multiboot.d/ >> /home/user/MyDocs/helpmelog.txt
cat /etc/multiboot.d/*.item >> /home/user/MyDocs/helpmelog.txt
And attach or copy contents of file "helpmelog.txt" from you internal memory. If you do it from your phone, you can find this file by opening file manager and clicking on "N900" memory (first on the list). If you do it from your computer - attach N900 with usb cable to computer, open it and it should me in main directory. Then I will be able to help you, because I will probably know what's wrong

Last edited by misiak; 2011-04-24 at 11:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
hi,

the file is attached thank you for help me
Attached Files
File Type: txt helpmelog.txt (1.7 KB, 246 views)

Originally Posted by mesho123 View Post
hi,
the file is attached thank you for help me
You need to edit file /etc/multiboot.d/01-Maemo-kernel-power46.item

I suggest you do it this way:

1. Open application manager, find and install app called "Leafpad" (if you have'nt installed it already on your phone). It's a text editor.

2. Open terminal and type:
Code:
sudo gainroot
To become root and then (this is one command, just type "leafpad" then space then name of file, as I wrote it above):
Code:
leafpad /etc/multiboot.d/01-Maemo-kernel-power46.item
and change line
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.28.10power46"
to
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.28.10pali1"
After that, hit the top bar (where it says "01-Maemo-kernel-power46.item") and hit "Save" button. Then close Leafpad (text editor), close terminal, reboot and check if it works. It should.

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Firstly, thank you very much for pushing forward kernel development for our orphaned little kernel.

Do you think you could add the upstream patch that fixes this bug?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7165

Lastly, what do you need to get this kernel into the repositories? Who can the council prod for you?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Lastly, what do you need to get this kernel into the repositories? Who can the council prod for you?
Pali needs to be maintainer of http://maemo.org/packages/view/kernel-power/ - he is on "Pending maintainer requests" list. I think he should also apply for maintaining http://maemo.org/packages/view/kernel-power-modules/ and http://maemo.org/packages/view/uboot-power/ and http://maemo.org/packages/view/kernel-power-flasher/ and maybe even http://maemo.org/packages/view/kernel-power-settings/ to have control over whole kernel-power "suite", but he didn't apply for them (I don't know why).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery-status, bq27x00_battery, kernel, kernel-power, misiak4king, noobs-cant-read, pali4president, patches, readdirections, revolverspinyou