Notices

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
The indian firmware doesn't come with bultin Skype because some sort of issue with the laws (or some other rulling by the governament), unless it is somthing really stupid, like trying to kill competition to national mobile and landline phone carriers or not being taxable by the gov by the minute, i believe it's likelly it is related to some sort of concern by the governament regarding their ability or lack of thereof to spy on communications run thru Skype. So is the program in the repo for indian users specially bugged for/by the Indian gov, or is it really just an innocent user bypass of a silly attempt of the government at censorship?

ps: not that i trust regular international Skype to be really private, i'm pretty sure the company has ways to intercept and decrypt pretty much anything you send thru the network using their proprietary encryption(s), and i have no confidence they won't bendover like a crackwhore when any government pokes them suggestivelly.

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-01-12 at 08:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
I don't think it's an encryption / privacy / censorship issue. I think its more about the money. See this.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Wow, so it really is just because gov wants more tax money?

Ah, wait:
Sources said DoT was keen to implement this move on security grounds too. Foreign service providers could be a “serious security threat as they did not come under any Indian regulator and policy framework,” they added.
There we go.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Wow, so it really is just because gov wants more tax money?

Ah, wait:

There we go.
That part is more reactionary, imho - because of the repeat terrorist attacks eg. in Mumbai.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Tags
censorshp, india, privacy, skype