Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
For some reason I had this too the first day I used it. But the second day it magically worked. No clue why.

Have you tried to disable A-GPS? You can do that in the A-GPS GUI -> Settings

Seems sometimes it does take longer now that I add a bunch of other applications, however, from hours still to about a min or so....here are some screen shots....only allowed 5 screens....
Attached Images

Last edited by here.david; 2008-07-03 at 04:53.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I know how it's supposed to work... it doesn't

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
First, the a-gps program simply tells your N810 what satellites SHOULD be in view based upon the location you selected on the map. When you start maemo mapper or other gps software, the internal gps now knows what satellites it should be looking for. The time to fix is greatly reduced by knowing what it is looking for.

The problem with such a-gps is that if you pick a completely wrong point on the map it may never get a fix. You are screwed in other words. I wonder if this is why some people are having a worse time.

The way you know it is working is shown in post #22 image #3. You notice that it shows several satellites without even having a signal strength. The "assisted" portion of a-gps is spoon feeding that information to the gps. Just like on mine, as soon as I launch a gps program, I see all of the satellites already listed.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Well, please all bear also in mind that this is beta software (and as such is not installed by default either).

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2878

Near the bottom of the discussion I think we hit the problem. Sulp ( the daemon that manages the a-gps data ) can silently crash/go away and gps will never lock. There is no feedback to the use that the application has crahsed and the only way they know to clear it is a reboot. I suspect there are situations (like mine) where a reboot does not clear it.

i was able to bring it back only after apt-get remove libsulpd1 and agps-ui and then reinstalling all the dependent system libraries that are compiled against it. Rebooting, running till a gps fix, and only then installing and enabling agps-ui.

I still don't know if it's doing any good, but the satellite list does seem to be almost full pre-populated when starting a fix.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2878

Near the bottom of the discussion I think we hit the problem. Sulp ( the daemon that manages the a-gps data ) can silently crash/go away and gps will never lock. There is no feedback to the use that the application has crahsed and the only way they know to clear it is a reboot. I suspect there are situations (like mine) where a reboot does not clear it.

i was able to bring it back only after apt-get remove libsulpd1 and agps-ui and then reinstalling all the dependent system libraries that are compiled against it. Rebooting, running till a gps fix, and only then installing and enabling agps-ui.

I still don't know if it's doing any good, but the satellite list does seem to be almost full pre-populated when starting a fix.
[Sigh]

You wouldn't care to explain the fix step-by-step, by any chance? Like you, my GPS is dead as a dodo. I have no '*ulp' process running and I've just turned it on.

Have you tried rebooting? My GPS didn't work at all after the update and I rebooted once or twice and then it got a fix.

Ok, just uninstalled A-GPS, reboot, install again, reboot, start A-GPS, select position, start map, select GPS position, about 5 secs to a bunch of grey bars, about another 5 secs to a fix.

more [sigh]s but at least it works.

How often does the data need to be updated for this to work if
you stay in the same area? Every time or every few days or what?

I'm also interested hos much data need to be transferred with
the totally insane roaming costs in Europe.

thanks

Mikael

Tags
a-gps, gps