Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
When looking closely while taking photos, the LEDs reflect off the chrome-like bezel around the camera optics and slide, reflecting back into the photo with adverse effects..
Very good observation, well done. I doubt Nokia will fix it, but it's amazing how much better the second image is. Good to know that it's a design flaw that is possibly fixable with household tools. Thanks.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
It is not about the size of the megapixel, it is the size of the lens that count. The bigger lens will have a better sensitive sensor to light. Where light is the source of image. No light there will be no Image. The more light goes in, the better colour and picture though on the same megapixel rating.

My N93i is better taking picture close up than my N95. Because of the Optical Zoom.

On the other hand. N900 was designed to take professional picture anyway. None of the professional photographer use the N900 to take pictures. N900 is an Internet Tablet + Phone. lol nothing about Camera factor.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2009-12-11 at 09:23.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
so i can't become the next page 3 photographer using the n900, balls

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
wow. This thread went almost viral! LOL

The Sharpie technique WILL NOT WORK! You'll need a nonreflective paint or something else. I'm thinking of sanding it to give it a brushed aluminum/stainless steel look, which I prefer to chrome anyway. It may turn out like scratched silvery painted plastic, so I'm weary of trying it.

FOr most lighting situations, pictures look good, but any bad images caused by product design are an issue to me, even if I never use the camera in that situation again.

Did Nokia look past the original issue in October? I'm about ready to raise a stink, which I do pretty well, but I'm wondering if others can reproduce the same issue.

I shot the image about about 5 ft. from the subject. A light fixture with two naked 13 watt compact flourescent bulbs in a ceiling fan fixture were nearly directly overhead, if only slightly behind my head. I used the Automatic scene mode with auto flash. There was no ambient light from windows, since it was dark out.

Perhaps something like

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam...source=froogle

Might be more workable - not that I am suggesting you spray paint it - but some in a container and then painted on?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
I'm wondering if others can reproduce the same issue
That's confirmed - here's 2 I took just now, firstly with the back on:

Name:  20091212_001.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  71.1 KB

And nextly with the back removed:

Name:  20091212_002.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  73.0 KB

I had the room lights off to eliminate reflections from any other source and I've resized the images to 600x800 for forum-friendliness. The flare in the first picture is clearly visible and contrasts markedly (no pun intended!) with the second image.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PhilE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Conclusion: Permanent marking pen on the chrome area might help fix the problem. Or may be paint it black

I got similar results with a back on / back off comparison shot today. Crap. Maybe there's a market for a third party replacement back. Or maybe Nokia will retool the production n900 to address this and quietly sell a replacement to existing owners (hah!).

I think I will employ the sharpie tomorrow and see what happens. Should at least dull the reflection
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
Hopefully someone can figure out a work around that will not void the warranty and solve the problem. Good job Chris for pointing this out I am surprised no one noticed this earlier. And I was so happy it had a lens cover!

The Following User Says Thank You to Team C For This Useful Post:

Tags
don't forget to thank, haze, image quality, lack of quality control, n900, photo quality, photograph quality, photographs, photography, photos, remove backplate