Poll: Do you like EasyList?
Poll Options
Do you like EasyList?

Originally Posted by Willem Liu View Post
Ah cool, I didn't know about that. I will try to implement it in the next version.
However I've found the Paste popup button to not work when I've copied something from another application. Hence the Paste button in the Menu.
It works for me, so I guess that is a bug that was fixed in the meantime.

About the disabled back button. It's there for uniformity. I put the back button on the same spot on every page so the user always knows that that's the location for the back button and nothing else.
Hm, but most apps hide the arrow when it's not needed. I guess it does no harm, but consider that the first view is probably the one which users see most (by far), so every little bit of less clutter helps. And if you switch to a sheet for the edit view, then the "about" and "settings" views will be the only ones with a back button. It hardly seems worth it to me for that.

I thought that I've read somewhere in Harmattan-MeeGo guidelines that a message box must have a title. That's why I've put it there.
Title yes, but you can drop the additional text.
http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe...html#category0

Thanks again for the app, I'm using it for my shopping already with the N9 and it makes it a lot more fun. I'm just nitpicking a lot because I think that simple apps like this are a good opportunity to get all the little details right and set a good example for other community apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 239 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
It works for me, so I guess that is a bug that was fixed in the meantime.
So you're using a N9? Sweet. The N950 does not have images for newer versions. So for now I'm stuck to that Paste button so at least I can still paste from other apps

Hm, but most apps hide the arrow when it's not needed. I guess it does no harm, but consider that the first view is probably the one which users see most (by far), so every little bit of less clutter helps. And if you switch to a sheet for the edit view, then the "about" and "settings" views will be the only ones with a back button. It hardly seems worth it to me for that.
That's a good point. I'll probably remove that button.

Title yes, but you can drop the additional text.
http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe...html#category0
Ah, now that makes sense

Thanks again for the app, I'm using it for my shopping already with the N9 and it makes it a lot more fun. I'm just nitpicking a lot because I think that simple apps like this are a good opportunity to get all the little details right and set a good example for other community apps.
I'm glad you're "nitpicking", because that will help me get the app as good as it can become. I always appreciate good feedback.

I've already added the tickets for enhancements on the project page. So they will hopefully be implemented in a foreseeable future.

Version 0.0.9 out now!

Major improvement in the multi-list usability.
Edit page is now a QML Sheet.
Added splash screens.

Check the project page for more details.

Originally Posted by Willem Liu View Post
Version 0.0.9 out now!

Major improvement in the multi-list usability.
Edit page is now a QML Sheet.
Added splash screens.

Check the project page for more details.
Thanks! Here is an updated list of my suggestions with possibly some new details (based on 0.0.10), just ignore what you are already aware of:

- The splashscreen you added has some odd pattern in the background, possibly related to dithering but I'm not sure.

- Now you removed the menu from the title, I still think it would be nice though if the title would show the name of the active list and be a menu that opens the list editor. You could have a default list called "EasyList" so it would show the application name by default. Also the toolbar button could be removed then.

- There is no pressed feedback on the list items, which would be useful to see which item you are long-tapping on.

- I am now missing a "rename" function for the list editor.

- Now that it is not really necessary to select a list in the list editor for any functionality, I think it would be nicer if selecting a list would immediately switch back to the list view. The back button could then also be removed from this toolbar. The delete button IMO should lead to a view which allows multiple selection of items to delete.

- In the "name the new list" sheet, the text entry should have full width, with the label above it. You can see an example of it here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe...xt_fields.html ("Text field title #1").

Also the "Name your new list" text is not necessary or should be the text field title instead.

- In the settings dialog, instead of having "lock portrait" and "lock landscape" options for orientation, I suggest to have a splitbutton with three options: "Automatic", "Portrait", and "Landscape". Then you can also remove the help button. You can see an example of such a split button here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe...s/Buttons.html (the one in the lower right).

- The styling of the switch buttons is a bit wrong (wrong handle graphic), but I guess that this is a qt-components bug if you are not doing something special.

- The styling of the headers in the settings page is a bit wrong, not a big deal but I just happened to implement the correct styling a while ago, so I can just as well mention it. I think this should be a standard component, but I don't know if it will ever be. So you can use this as the section.delegate in your listview (or standalone item whatever you prefer):

Code:
Item {
                width: parent.width
                height: 40
                Text {
                    id: headerLabel
                    anchors.right: parent.right
                    anchors.bottom: parent.bottom
                    anchors.rightMargin: 8
                    anchors.bottomMargin: 2
                    text: section
                    font.bold: true
                    font.pointSize: 18
                    color: theme.inverted ? "#4D4D4D" : "#3C3C3C";
                }
                Image {
                    anchors.right: headerLabel.left
                    anchors.left: parent.left
                    anchors.verticalCenter: headerLabel.verticalCenter
                    anchors.rightMargin: 24
                    source: "image://theme/meegotouch-groupheader" + (theme.inverted ? "-inverted" : "") + "-background"
                }
(please excuse the messy indentation)

- There should be no "Back" item in the application menu of the about view. Actually there probably should be no application menu in that view in the first place, it's a bit unnecessary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
- The styling of the headers in the settings page is a bit wrong, not a big deal but I just happened to implement the correct styling a while ago, so I can just as well mention it. I think this should be a standard component, but I don't know if it will ever be. So you can use this as the section.delegate in your listview (or standalone item whatever you prefer):
Thanks for posting this, I spent some considerable time making a similar component - and the colors were still slightly wrong when I deemed it good enough.

I hope this will become part of qt-components (and also the rest of the stuff that's not there yet ).

Also I just installed v0.0.10, and I like the improvements made! EasyList has been in heavy use as a shopping list in my household .

Oh one more thing: When creating a new list, it pre-fills the entry with the name of the active list. I find this more cumbersome than helpful (a compromise would be to keep it, but select the whole text when the text entry is selected, like the browser URL bar). For renaming it would be the right thing to do of course.

It should also select the text field when the view opens, so the virtual keyboard comes up and one can start typing right away.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Oh one more thing: When creating a new list, it pre-fills the entry with the name of the active list. I find this more cumbersome than helpful (a compromise would be to keep it, but select the whole text when the text entry is selected, like the browser URL bar). For renaming it would be the right thing to do of course.

It should also select the text field when the view opens, so the virtual keyboard comes up and one can start typing right away.
I've tried focussing everything possible, but I just can't get the VK to pop up when the Sheet opens...
I even tried opening the VK keyboard with platformOpenSoftwareInputPanel(). I'm out of clues now.

- The splashscreen you added has some odd pattern in the background, possibly related to dithering but I'm not sure.
The odd pattern is shown on all of my screens which don't have a color defined (transparent). I'll address this later by having every screen start with a root Rectangle which by default has a white background color as opposed to transparent which it is now. The transparent screen is the cause of these patterns. On my N950 it's on every screen though. I guess your N9 does not have this on the other screens?

- Now you removed the menu from the title, I still think it would be nice though if the title would show the name of the active list and be a menu that opens the list editor. You could have a default list called "EasyList" so it would show the application name by default. Also the toolbar button could be removed then.
I still like to see the app name EasyList so I've added the list name behind it.

- There is no pressed feedback on the list items, which would be useful to see which item you are long-tapping on.
I've added a hover color now.

- I am now missing a "rename" function for the list editor.
I've added the rename function.

- Now that it is not really necessary to select a list in the list editor for any functionality, I think it would be nicer if selecting a list would immediately switch back to the list view. The back button could then also be removed from this toolbar. The delete button IMO should lead to a view which allows multiple selection of items to delete.
Selecting a list will now also go back to the List items page.

- In the "name the new list" sheet, the text entry should have full width, with the label above it. You can see an example of it here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe...xt_fields.html ("Text field title #1").

Also the "Name your new list" text is not necessary or should be the text field title instead.
I've addressed this now.

- In the settings dialog, instead of having "lock portrait" and "lock landscape" options for orientation, I suggest to have a splitbutton with three options: "Automatic", "Portrait", and "Landscape". Then you can also remove the help button. You can see an example of such a split button here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe...s/Buttons.html (the one in the lower right).
Good suggestion. I'll look into this soon.

- The styling of the switch buttons is a bit wrong (wrong handle graphic), but I guess that this is a qt-components bug if you are not doing something special.
It's a normal Switch button. I've done nothing special with it...

Code:
Item {
                width: parent.width
                height: 40
                Text {
                    id: headerLabel
                    anchors.right: parent.right
                    anchors.bottom: parent.bottom
                    anchors.rightMargin: 8
                    anchors.bottomMargin: 2
                    text: section
                    font.bold: true
                    font.pointSize: 18
                    color: theme.inverted ? "#4D4D4D" : "#3C3C3C";
                }
                Image {
                    anchors.right: headerLabel.left
                    anchors.left: parent.left
                    anchors.verticalCenter: headerLabel.verticalCenter
                    anchors.rightMargin: 24
                    source: "image://theme/meegotouch-groupheader" + (theme.inverted ? "-inverted" : "") + "-background"
                }
(please excuse the messy indentation)
Many thanks for this code. It will surely come in handy. However I have different plans for my Settings page. It's not a list because there will be different options in the future which can't be drawn by a single delegate.

- There should be no "Back" item in the application menu of the about view. Actually there probably should be no application menu in that view in the first place, it's a bit unnecessary.
I've addressed this issue.

Again. Many thanks for your comments. I've found a bug in 0.0.10 which is quite critical. So I'm going to release 0.0.11 very soon with the fix.

Last edited by Willem Liu; 2011-08-27 at 19:46.

EasyList 0.0.11 out now!

You can download it from the project page.

Changelog:
* Now when hovering over a list item or list will cause a grey highlight.
* Fixed a major bug with list items which didn't fit in the view. Those items didn't work.
* Selecting a list from the Lists page now brings you back to the List page.
* Colors now stored in ezConsts.js. First step towards theme support.
* Current list name now shown in List page header.
* Orientation setting is now a button row instead of switches.

You can submit bugs on the project page.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
one of the most used apps for my n900. glad to see it progressing to harmattan even though I don't know when I'am having one.
any thoughts of compiling for symbian? the symbian alternatives in ovi store are awful.

The Following User Says Thank You to evan For This Useful Post: