A new version of Kagu Media Player for maemo is out! You can download it here:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/kagu/

This new 1.0.9-3 release includes:
* New theme!
* Added 2-hour option to Sleep Timer
* Made heuristic cover search optional in Scanner
* Artist grouping changed, utilizing the "album artist" tag if it exists
* Artist and album names are normalized to Title Case
* Playlist Save As: Hold thumb at NowPlayingButton and hit the dpad center, only available in Now Playing
* Hold thumb at NowPlayingButton and hit the menu key to jump to artist songs/albums functionality, works almost anywhere
* Added default player selection to main menu (available only if mplayer is installed)
* Cover art load times are faster, and no longer a black screen
* Various other startup time optimizations
* Add scrollbars, toggle scrollbars option, scrollbars default to disabled
* Performance and UI enhancements

Everyone currently running a previous version should upgrade as this release is an all around better performer. Not to mention the orange theme!

(Green theme will be optionally available again in a later release)

Thanks!

Last edited by disq; 2007-10-15 at 14:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to disq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany
Hi!

Cool theme, I like the orange.

Are there problems when adjusting the volume?
Because on my n800 kagu 1.0.9 crashes when I press the hardware keys + and - and when I want to adjust the volume with the menu.

I did not notice this in the 1.0.8 release.

Any ideas?
./kagu.py:27: RuntimeWarning: import cdrom: No module named cdrom

import os, pygame, time, gc

./kagu.py:27: RuntimeWarning: import joystick: No module named joystick

import os, pygame, time, gc

sent

volume update: 80

charging

album query took:0.017364025116

showing volume

volume update: 80

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./kagu.py", line 137, in <module>

if __name__ == '__main__': main()

File "./kagu.py", line 128, in main

manager.update()

File "/usr/lib/kagu/manager.py", line 265, in update

self.view.update()

File "/usr/lib/kagu/views.py", line 985, in update

TimerView.update(self)

File "/usr/lib/kagu/views.py", line 98, in update

for widget in self.widgets: widget.update()

File "/usr/lib/kagu/widgets.py", line 1537, in update

if not self.visible: return

AttributeError: 'Slider' object has no attribute 'visible'

Halbamy

Last edited by halbamy; 2007-10-15 at 14:21.

oops, we did a last minute change in 1.0.9 (to add the option to disable scrollbars) that's when it happened. will release a 1.0.9-3 in a few minutes to fix that.

released 1.0.9-3 to fix that, updating from application manager (or installing this) will work.

(new installers from maemo.org don't need to worry, as the application manager will install the newest version anyway)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
disq, it would probably be a good idea to have a list of test cases to go through once you are ready to release a new build, but before you actually do so so that you can avoid these kinds of issues whenever possible. Just a basic rundown of functionality. I can't tell you how many times it's saved my ***.

yes of course. I do the full functionality testing during development, (not testing but more like QA, I use kagu daily) and get other people to test too. but if there's a minor change on release day i sometimes (depends on my mood, and if I made a early release that day or not too) only test relevant parts of the program. volume slider was relevant but i missed it, shouldn't have happened.

The following quote is one of mine from your thread on the 1.0.8 release, but of concern in the current release. It's about the handling of playlists:

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
As a follow-up to this, I'm now doing the obvious thing of creating a backup to playlist.m3u that contains my 92 songs. After I play other music items by creating new playlists, which each override the existing playlist.m3u, I can then copy my backup playlist back into playlist.m3u to again utilize my 92-song playlist. I'm just trusting the next version of Kagu will contain a means for saving various playlists without my having to go through my present contortions so as not to lose my assembled 92 songs.
I have installed the new release and several times copied my backup playlist (of the 92 songs) into /.kagu/playlist.m3u. The copying is each time successful -- until I boot up Kagu for use, and then the playlist.m3u file comes up empty. What is probably happening is that each time Kagu is booted up, it wants to start with a vacant playlist.m3u file.

How can I get Kagu (in its new version) to accept my previously backed-up playlist?

your "want to start with a vacant playlist file" diagnosis is wrong.

playlist logic didn't change since 1.0.8. are you sure you have the mp3 files (pointed by in the playlists) on the filesystem? do you see them in the song browser (albums/artists or all songs screens)?

Yep, all albums and songs are listed in Kagu.

Just to be certain of the viability of what I'm experiencing, I've once again gone into xterm, copied my back-up playlist into /.kagu/playlist.m3u, double-checked to make certain that /.kagu/playlist.m3u held the duplicate of my backed-up playlist (which it did), then booted up Kagu, found nothing, went back in xterm to /.kagu/playlist.m3u -- and it again was empty. Booting up Kagu is obviously erasing the playlist.m3u file. Any further thoughts. Regards, Jim

could you mail me one of the troubling m3u files so I can take a look at it? sent you a pm.