Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I may be wrong here... but I think we've gone down this path via the community council whereas the offer to get the code sans the patented/closed bits would be replaced or worked around.

No traction, no answer, no luck... never will happen more than likely.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I may be wrong here... but I think we've gone down this path via the community council whereas the offer to get the code sans the patented/closed bits would be replaced or worked around.

No traction, no answer, no luck... never will happen more than likely.
I seem to remember this happening several different ways over the years--even before there was a council and there was a direct application to open such things up (which should never have been closed to start with).

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Why not just use Cordia (get source of Meego) or make a frankenstein build. Use all the Open parts of Maemo (CSSU builds) and try use the open parts of Meego to fill in the gaps.

I'm sure a freak build could work.

Just start making working ports for OMAP3 and OMAP4.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
people should really test latest meego 1.3 commuity ed... it has improved ALOT.

instead of sitting her and hope you can buyout maemo. Its just plain ridicilous.

And yes I am serious. KDE plasma(QML) in top of meego 1.3 could be one way to go and WAY better than mess with maemo5 and deprecated hildon code.

as an old linux user and both using gnome(since beta 0.20 upto 2.14) and now KDE I dont get why people is so damn affraid testing something new? even if meegoCE "is not ready" its the way to go instead of sitting here and hope for stuff that never will happen.

I mean seriously pay money for deprecated codebase!? how foolish is that? when we have alot of open code already from different and better projects :O

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-09-28 at 22:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
I honestly believe that one of the clauses in the contract drafted when MS bought, errr, "entered a strategic partnership" with nokia was especifically that MeeGo and Maemo would never have their source code published, and both would be outright killed, period.

M$ stood a lot to lose, should a linux distro ever become widespread in any market, especialy so in the mobile market, which seems to where the big players are turning their attention to.

So yeah, I'd say we couldn't come up with enough cash to get nokia to sell us maemo. They're probably contractually bound not to.

(....)

Changing subjects... Presume we go the freak build direction... Just how much code is open that way? Are the big boys, as in, BME, Radio controls, the truly important components, out in the open-source?

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Changing subjects... Presume we go the freak build direction... Just how much code is open that way? Are the big boys, as in, BME, Radio controls, the truly important components, out in the open-source?
Sweet FA.. About 40% Open.

The best option seems to be to move toward Meego and make it fit users needs. If the source is fully open (or ever can be) then try get it working on OTHER, faster devices with open bootloaders and goodies like that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Cannot we find some GPL violations and just make Nokia open the codebase? Just my two cents but I think if we wanted, we would find such a thing...

Originally Posted by number41 View Post
I honestly believe that one of the clauses in the contract drafted when MS bought, errr, "entered a strategic partnership" with nokia was especifically that MeeGo and Maemo would never have their source code published, and both would be outright killed, period.
They won't be killed. They will both live as integrated code into WP8-9. Even Symbian will have parts integated. MS's plan is to steal code and monopolize the phone market.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
people should really test latest meego 1.3 commuity ed... it has improved ALOT....

I mean seriously pay money for deprecated codebase!? how foolish is that? when we have alot of open code already from different and better projects :O
I thought MeeGo was just EOL'ed. While it is newer, why is that any better? Wouldn't Maemo be more complete feature wise than MeeGo 1.3 CE?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Cannot we find some GPL violations and just make Nokia open the codebase? Just my two cents but I think if we wanted, we would find such a thing...
Not with GPL2 and Linus Torvalds and the Linux Foundation turning a blind eye to closed-source linking. I'm not entirely against it either, honestly, but Nokia is suffering a black eye EVERY time this gets brought back up because of all that puffery and bragging about how open they are. They're just not any better than anyone else--at least they've stopped bragging about that lately. It's about time.

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I thought MeeGo was just EOL'ed. While it is newer, why is that any better? Wouldn't Maemo be more complete feature wise than MeeGo 1.3 CE?
Sadly, it WOULD be... but it WON'T be. (See the open-core, close-source conversation above.)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
buysomethinelse, winding down