Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
CBTec Oy has been established by ex-Nokia and ex-Meego employees in February 2012. Primary focus area is mobility solutions. Customers include telecommunications manufacturers, mobile operators, advertising & new media agencies, and B2B customers from any industry needing top expertise on building mobile applications. Technological capabilities cover Windows Phone, Android, iOS, and any other major smart phone platform. Main design principle is always innovation - which is currently realized by using e.g. context awareness, artificial intelligence and HTML5 as platform independent technology.

Core team of CBTec has as combined 80+ years of experience in area of mobility solutions, overall ICT architecture, application & embedded device development, program management, design & marketing. Team has been involved in all Nokia Linux products from the first Internet Tablet 770, in N900, and in the state of the art device N9. Team has deep technical understanding of Linux and open-source technologies in general.

CBTec team is enjoying a good reputation inside telecom industry. CBTec has been able to attract top talent from industry and acts as a “floating platform” for those ex-Nokia employees that have been pushed into “cold water” from the famous “burning platform”. CBTec has taken a lot of social responsibility by employing ex-Nokians, as well as maintaining and developing open-source know-how and best software development practises.

http://www.cloudberrytec.com/

What could this mean for us?

Love the "platform" dig at Elop and the fact they publicly said it in something that reads like a mission statement.

Hopefully it is good for business.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
That they're one of many new startups after the various layoffs in Nokia, actually one of the later ones. People who went early after Feb11 2011 (went to bigger companies typically) or went for creating startups, then next phase as more budgets expired in between Q2 and Q3, then next quarter again and this seems to have been part of the last wave of layoffs and startups..

.. and that's about it?

(Disclaimer: I'm not involved with CBTec Oy)

A startup usually goes in these phases:

Given they're fairly young, they may have just started hiring after gaining initial seed money. I personally think it might be more interesting to see what the earlier startups come up with.

So I think it'll take a while before we see anything from these.

From an entirely mobile POV, it'll be hard to gather talents that match a complete and capable company that can deliver mobile stacks or even devices. So it'll probably be subcontracting to other companies.

Again, as I've said before - I hope that new startups will see the value of working together, especially when it comes to software stacks and that way increase their individual strength.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Is there a source for that cool graph?

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Is there a source for that cool graph?
My bad, 48GX got it right.

[attribution needed]

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I personally think it might be more interesting to see what the earlier startups come up with.
Who are these other startups? (Maybe in a new thread).

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Who are these other startups? (Maybe in a new thread).
Well, Jolla for one.

I don't see any community related good in this new startup. They are gonna focus on development for whatever plattform. Jolla is way closer to our community.
I wish them all the best though, I'm still thankful for the great device I have found in the N900.

Originally Posted by blck View Post
I don't see any community related good in this new startup. They are gonna focus on development for whatever plattform. Jolla is way closer to our community.
I wish them all the best though, I'm still thankful for the great device I have found in the N900.
I think many companies have their own origins in open source and communities, or from before when the individuals joined Nokia.

I wouldn't underestimate that in them.

Tags
cloudberrytec