Active Topics

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
My USB port came out with the charger about 2-3 weeks ago, which was caused partially by gravity and a pillow. Needless to say that I was really pissed, cursed a lot and sent Nokia to hell a couple of times.

I did try to get it repaired but it was too expensive and I think that any money I would spend on the N900 is money I should spend on another phone because it won't fix the core problem : [rant] there is nothing holding that damn USB port but cyanoacrylate and a mixture of tin and lead, which is, in my humble opinion, not enough. It will break again. Did Nokia tried a few drop test with the charger plugged in ? I don't think so. [/rant] Anyway, let us proceed to the point.

I haven't been on Talk during those 2-3 week because, frankly, I was not considering another Nokia phone as a possible replacement for my N900. July was an exciting month for smartphones (iPhone 4, Droid X, BlackBerry Torch, etc ...) and I have found myself drifting away from Nokia.

So why did I came back here you may ask. I won't make an exhaustive list or point finger at any of the competitors, but I would like to state that now I truly understand what "but what are your other options if you want freedom ?" means.

As for me, I will be waiting for the next MeeGo/Harmattan phone. If it is not bullet-proof (figuratively speaking of course) and more open/free than Maemo 5 (as an evolution toward openness and not a regression) then I will buy a freaking 2G phone at 20$ and carry my 10" notebook with a 3G key for whenever I need stuff to be done on the road.

Thank you for your attention. Hopefully my story will foster positive reflection for anyone looking for "greener grass" elsewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I suspect that one can live completely without the USB port, because one can certainly charge without it using an external charger, and one can flash a kernel without it, so why not someone demonstrate an easy way to just do without the damned thing.

I rarely use it myself, but it would be a relief to just forget about it.

Come on, someone other than me, write a how-to, how to live without USB! (Unless it's really impossible for some reason I don't get.)

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
So why did I came back here you may ask. I won't make an exhaustive list or point finger at any of the competitors, but I would like to state that now I truly understand what "but what are your other options if you want freedom ?" means.
Ironic how you only have one option for freedom. Seems counter intuitive. Glad to have you back!

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
(Unless it's really impossible for some reason I don't get.)
If you're a power user (or a noob playing with complex stuff ) you'll need the USB port sooner or later, specially when the phone goes into a constant reboot loop. Besides it's obvious functions (charge and data transfer) the USB port is a nice lifesaver in case you mess up something and the phone doesn't boot anymore. and yes, my USB port broke about a week ago, I'll get it back today ...not from Nokia though, there isn't a freaking Nokia Care near here

I can't tell you how to live without the USB port other than echo geneven's suggestion of a desktop charger. Transferring music, images and documents can be done by Bluetooth, WiFi, or memory card reader, but it's gonna be a bit long winded.

Another thing is, did you check on your household/contents insurance, see if that covered hi-tech appliances/office equipment?
Most companies do include it and those that don't will add it for an extra couple $ or £. Saves a lot of grief, as I can't see how dropping the phone could be classed as a warranty repair.

I suspect that one can live completely without the USB port, because one can certainly charge without it using an external charger, and one can flash a kernel without it, so why not someone demonstrate an easy way to just do without the damned thing.

I rarely use it myself, but it would be a relief to just forget about it.

Come on, someone other than me, write a how-to, how to live without USB! (Unless it's really impossible for some reason I don't get.)
I have been without a USB port for about a month now cause Nokia is refusing to fix it.

I use an external battery charger and have a spare battery I put in the phone when charging.

To transfer files to the N900 I was initially doing so by wifi using OpenSSH. However, using that a bit less because seemed to be a huge battery drain transfering video files which is what I normally have to transfer (can't afford any battery drain when can't charge the device while it is in action). Now what I do is connect my blackberry to PC with USB cable and transfer the files to microsd card. I then put the microsd card into the N900 and then copy on to the internal memory.

So I have managed fine without a USB port though it is a bit annoying having to change batteries. Don't know what I would do if I had to reflash though. Is that what you mean by flash a kernal? Can you reflash without connecting via USB?

Why will they not fix it? I'd like to know more.
This issue is worthy of a law suit. So is Nokia's awful repair service (at least in the US).

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I have been without a USB port for about a month now cause Nokia is refusing to fix it.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
I see your point guys, but I need that USB port. I won't be able to flash the device anymore, I won't be able to upgrade Sygic Mobile Maps 9 to 10 without the USB port. Using the GPS for a long trip is not an option anymore.

Anyway I am way past any of these solutions (external battery charger + WiFi), I stand by my decision to wait for the next phone.

Edit :

Oh and please people, don't turn that into a broken USB port discussion, there is a thread for that already.

Last edited by Mandor; 2010-08-04 at 12:27. Reason: spelling

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris
I suspect that one can live completely without the USB port, because one can certainly charge without it using an external charger
I would have assumed that, without the USB port, the only option you would have is to remove the battery, charge it externally and then, once youre done, put the battery back in.

I would have thought that even wireless chargers needed some kind of adapter in the USB port.

What other ways are there?

*Edit* - Actually I think I just read that wrong.

Last edited by DeargDoom; 2010-08-03 at 20:11.

Wow, I cringe everytime I hear about another usb port gone. Mine has not fallen out though, if it ever does, I plan to solder it back myself as I live in a third world country.

The nearest nokia care center is centuries from where I live, I fear I may grow old and die before I find a usb replacement. My hand trembles each time I plug it in and I have to bite on a rubber ball every time I pull it out. At this rate I may end up as one of those guys that curl up in an arse ball and start talking to myself.