Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
how was the problem addressed? knowing what was done would help to trust n900 usb port, esepcially for people like me in australia where we got our phones imported and since nokia got no international warranty we are on our own....
also if this would happen, is this someone we could replace on our own? i know how to deal with regular electronics assembly but never had to mount surface type of components on pcb, can this be done or some hightech equipment is needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Croc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
i know how to deal with regular electronics assembly but never had to mount surface type of components on pcb, can this be done or some hightech equipment is needed.
It's not easy, especially in the case of a component like this. Surface mount assemblies tend to be wave soldered or reflow soldered due to the difficulty in establishing connections for such tiny contacts using conventional means.

I don't know, though, what process was used on these boards-- only that hand soldering is a royal pain on surface mount components.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
after quick read on the net and checking out video tutorial it does seem like a valid option for anyone that know how to use soldiering tools and got no fear
you seem to know fair bit about n900 Texrat any chance you could point to spare usb port with identical layout as one used in n900?
wouldn't mind ordering couple to have it ready (and hope i never need it)

Been playin around with my N900 today, I am being very careful when plugging/unplugging. Hoping that will be good enough.

Is powermat the only wireless charger company? This could work around the weak usb port for daily charging

They don't have the wireless charger available for n900 or 5800XM yet

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Is powermat the only wireless charger company? This could work around the weak usb port for daily charging

They don't have the wireless charger available for n900 or 5800XM yet
There is no indication that the Production n900 USB Port is weak. To my knowledge there has only been one report on the whole forum of any physical issue with the USB Port on a production unit.

That said, there has been no mention as to how this has been improved (just that it has), and I haven't seen any good pics of a disassembled production n900 yet.

Originally Posted by Croc View Post
after quick read on the net and checking out video tutorial it does seem like a valid option for anyone that know how to use soldiering tools and got no fear
you seem to know fair bit about n900 Texrat any chance you could point to spare usb port with identical layout as one used in n900?
wouldn't mind ordering couple to have it ready (and hope i never need it)
See my blog article on the subject: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...-an-n900-risk/

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
There is no indication that the Production n900 USB Port is weak. To my knowledge there has only been one report on the whole forum of any physical issue with the USB Port on a production unit.

That said, there has been no mention as to how this has been improved (just that it has), and I haven't seen any good pics of a disassembled production n900 yet.
Was that my report of the entire USB port coming off the board (phone ordered in the US from newegg's 3rd or 4th restocking, on Dec 9th)? Replacement will be received on the 24th. Whether or not those are "production", I don't know. I would have taken pictures but I was too busy with work at 2am, after taking the 900 apart completely...FWIW, the USB receptacle is "not" connected very well at all.

Here's a video though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEHm325-z8

Last edited by colnago; 2009-12-24 at 04:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Was that my report of the entire USB port coming off the board (phone ordered in the US from newegg's 3rd or 4th restocking, on Dec 9th)? Replacement will be received on the 24th. Whether or not those are "production", I don't know. I would have taken pictures but I was too busy with work at 2am, after taking the 900 apart completely...FWIW, the USB receptacle is "not" connected very well at all.

Here's a video though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEHm325-z8
Yes it was you I was referring to.

If your n900 said/says n900 in the upper right corner, it was production.

If your n900 does not say n900 in the upper right, it is pre-production. It is extremely unlikely you would receive a pre-production unit without knowing it.

I've seen that video, but it's not clear enough to really tell whats going on RE the female usb port

Last edited by go1dfish; 2009-12-24 at 04:29. Reason: typo correction

Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Yes it was you I was referring to.

If your n900 said/says n900 in the upper right corner, it was production.

If your n900 does not say n900 in the upper right, it is pre-production. It is extremely unlikely you would receive a pre-production unit without knowing it.
Not necessarily. My N900 was pre-production and has the N900 inking. But those units are unlikely to have been in the distribution channel, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty