Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by onestop View Post
Hardly. Many airlines now have WiFi available on flights. And some have it available on all their flights.
On those, you should have no problem using your N900's Wifi then, as long as you disable whatever radios the airline requires to be disabled.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
@huntr77 ...

The planet is heading for massive overpopulation, thank <insert deity of choice> there's always an abundant supply of *****s trying to help thin out the crowds.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I guess the N900 has an "offline" mode as all the other Nokias do.

I'm more worried about switching the N900 off for takeoff and landing, while the device itself is not meant for that. Do I need to re-open all of those web pages I left open before shutdown?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
When i flew from Amsterdam to Vancouver, in Economy Class with KLM, you could use your laptop (even the internet), phone, camera, ipod, gameboy, psp, etc. no problemo - basically anything, even making phonecalls via a special phone on board which everyone had in their seat and which worked with a credit card. To cut things short, you can use the N900 on a plane without doubt, but just to be sure, turn off GSM (turn on "offline mode").

There is an "airplane"/"offiline" mode as others have mentioned that turns off all the transmitters. Also, if you need the wifi/bluetooth while in flight (if allowed by your particular airline), you can remove the SIM card to disable the gsm radio while leaving the other radios on.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
YES, there is an offline mode.
This does not apply for takeoff and landing.

If I switch off the N900 from "20 processes open", will it return to that state after the compulsory "everything off" ?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by huntr77 View Post
if you do some research on the internet you will find it is all a complete fraud that your phone interferes with the airlines navigations systems. think how many flights occur every day. if even 1% of people sneakily used their phones during take off / landing (like I always do becuase it a crock of sh1t), chances are you would have seen some kind of crash or problems. in all the years that mobiles have been carried on planes, i have yet to even hear a rumour of such a thing.

so I say, turn it all on....bluetooth, wireless, point the infrared at pilot, you name it...live on the edge people
Aviation is a *highly* regulated industry, by the nature of the risks involved. All parties have obligations ... pilots, maintenance crews, designers, airlines, airframers, and yes also the passengers. AFAIK, wireless device use is up to the airline operating procedures, and in some countries the regulatory body may also have a say. If everyone took your attitude, then what difference would it make if the pilots showed up drunk ... surely that also happens on some 'frequent' basis, also without incident as you say. Please do us all a favour and stay at the boarding gate rather than compromise safety in the air.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
There is an "airplane"/"offiline" mode as others have mentioned that turns off all the transmitters. Also, if you need the wifi/bluetooth while in flight (if allowed by your particular airline), you can remove the SIM card to disable the gsm radio while leaving the other radios on.
Is this simply a UI limitation? That is, is it possible
to individually power the various radios off or on?
(Neglecting an FM radio depending on bluetooth being on.)

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Anwarboy11 View Post
Hrm.... wonder if thers a setting for this, 1 switch like on iphone which will switch all connections off for you, airplane mode
My Blackberry has that. I can also selectively switch off/on phone, bluetooth and wifi from the same screen.