Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Modest comes stock with Diablo. It's the default email app.
I have claws-mail installed but I don't read email on the tablet and I email messages to myself with a form in tear.

How can I monitor the dbus activity when using this?
It is not an easy task unless you know what your doing. Getting dbus-monitor to work is the easy part.

Create /etc/dbus-1/system-local.conf and make it look like this:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN" "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
  <policy context="default">
    <!-- All messages may be received by default -->
    <allow send_destination="*" eavesdrop="true"/>
    <allow eavesdrop="true"/>
    <allow own="*"/>
    <allow user="*"/>
    <allow receive_requested_reply="false" receive_type="method_call" eavesdrop="true"/>
    <allow receive_requested_reply="false" receive_type="method_return" eavesdrop="true"/>
    <allow receive_requested_reply="false" receive_type="error" eavesdrop="true"/>
    <allow receive_requested_reply="false" receive_type="signal" eavesdrop="true"/>
  </policy>
</busconfig>
Restart tablet.

Then run dbus-monitor --system > dbus.txt as root and go disable the setting in modest. Once you've done this you can press ctrl-c in xterm and go read the dbus.txt file. Make sure modest is running with its settings open before you run dbus-monitor and try to do very little from the time you start dbus-monitor until you kill it. There will be a lot of dbus activity not related to modest that you have to comb through. Methods to org.gnome.GConf are reading and writing gconf keys, look for writes to your modest keys. Modest might send out a signal to its service telling it to update and that is what you're looking for.

If you find any methods or signals I can help you write the command to send them.

How can I term this argument correctly?
sudo start-stop-daemon --start --name modest
I don't even know what that does, it would be nice if Nokia could've used the same system for all services instead of using some hack for theirs. There is no modest script in /etc/init.d/ so the normal method to start services won't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hmm...

I was thinking of installing claws instead.

Does it support notifications and ring tones?

Maybe I will need to restart mce so it will immediately take the 1 minute notification change.

I do know that if I change the value in gconf editor, it takes effect right away.

But if I do it in Xterm, no dice for some reason.

I was thinking of installing claws instead. Does it support notifications and ring tones?
I doubt it and it is a pure stylus app as well.

I do know that if I change the value in gconf editor, it takes effect right away. But if I do it in Xterm, no dice for some reason.
What happens if you only run the gonf command to change the setting directly in xterm and none of the other commands in your script? There should be no difference between setting the key in gconf-editor or gconftool.

I was thinking of giving that another try.

Before, it wouldn't update the changes, hence the reason for restarting MCE.

But I've had problems with syncing Imap and Pop with the Email app before, so there were times I wasn't receiving any notices until I got them matched up correctly.

I'll go try that again right now. Maybe I missed something.

Wow.

You were right.

The changes do take immediate effect in Xterm.

I guess that I was confused before since this is the first time ever using POP with Email. I must have been doing it somehow wrong when I started all of this mess.

Thanks!

This makes is so much simpler.

All that's left now is finding a way to stop it all from working once it gets started.

I'm getting close. Just not quite there yet.

You know, the easiest way out of all of this would just be to allow for extra options for the time intervals in receiving notifications.

Something like this....

http://tomch.com/wp/?page_id=58

I couldn't find the 2008 version, but I know it is or was somewhere since I've used it before.

I wonder how he did this?

EDIT:

Found it.
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/O...immingoptions/

Last edited by Addison; 2011-12-15 at 05:04.

You know, the easiest way out of all of this would just be to allow for extra options for the time intervals in receiving notifications.

I wonder how he did this?
The blanking and dimming use gconf lists that you can edit in gconf-editor. Just go to the folder where the blank/dim keys are and you should see a key with comma separated values and can add or remove values.

Modest might provide a similar key.

Do you know where I might find this folder?

I'd like to take a look at the blanking and dimming one so I can get a feel for how this all works.

Then I'll try it with Modest.

If anyone has missed the thread on a new Gameboy Advance emulator that was just released, you can find it here.

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d.../free/g/gpspm/

I haven't installed the GUI front end because it uses QT which requires too much memory on my end.

You'll need to edit this file
/opt/gpspm/conf.gpsp

On my N800, I have it set like this.

For keys
D-Pad - Up, Down, Left, Right
Zoom out - L
Zoom in - R
Full Screen - Select
Center D-Pad - Start
Escape - A
Home - B
Menu - Quit

To get the full use out of all the hardware keys, you first need to run this command.

/etc/init.d/mce stop

To run a GBA game, it's something like

/opt/maemo/usr/games/gpspm -cdfile /media/mmc1/Games/Gameboy/pokemon.gba -nosound -screen 1
or
/opt/maemo/usr/games/gpspm -cdfile /media/mmc1/Games/Gameboy/pokemon.gba -screen 1

Afterwards, to restore your keys back

sudo /etc/init.d/mce start

I think the emulator runs great so give it a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
For instant notifications, I'm almost there.

This is what I have now.

On
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/modest/accounts/AccountID/enabled True
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/modest/update_interval 1
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/modest/auto_update True

Off
sudo start-stop-daemon --stop --name modest
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/modest/accounts/AccountID/enabled False
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/modest/update_interval 1
gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/modest/update_when_connected_by 1
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/modest/auto_update False

This works. I also found that if I run the script Off and go to flight mode, my tablet remains around 2% CPU at all times. No Modest popping up every minute.

However, once I run Off, then later, back On again, I get an unable to receive message in the Hildon banner.

So I have to run Off, then On again and everything is back to gold.

This is such a long shot on me asking, but what am I doing wrong with these two scripts?

Cheers.

Tags
nokia n800, volume