Active Topics

I suppose Jolla will get some money, but the dev. process will not benefit from this cooperation. Hopefully it will not slow down from this cooperation, either.

PS I'm from Russia.

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
lol, cooperation with any 3rd party partner is risky, why you think russian companies would include backdoors and trojans in system and others wont? don't be silly....
Yeah, just about every country's doing it to some degree or other. Even those without the capability to build their own spying applications are buying systems from 3rd parties - https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...cking_of_.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Well, a lot of Sailfish is open source, the more people adding/fixing to that codebase, the better.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
I hope this deal isn't the sort of deals Cyanogen ROM/Inc/Cygn is doing lately...

With that all said, I hope Europe backs Jolla too.
They non-stop complain about iOS and Android's monopolization, but don't see alternatives. I think if Jolla was able to get polished and shipped out to two devices that would be enough:

Device 1)
£65/€85 (~$100)
4.5 inch
540p display
QSD 400 (upto QSD 615)
1GB DDR3 RAM
16GB NAND
2.1MP ffc/8MP
2,000mAh
Slim bezel (75%), front speakers, dual mics, symmetrical shape
9mm thin, polycarbonate unibody with side-flap for accessing battery/SIM

Device
2)
£510/€700 (~$800)
5.7in
1440p display
QSD 805 (upto Exynos 7420)
4GB DDR4 RAM
64GB UFS2 NAND
5.1MP ffc/13MP-OIS
4,000mAh
Slim bezel (80%), front speakers, dual mics, symmetrical shape
8mm thin, aluminium unibody with side-flap for accessing battery/SIM

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
One thing is fishy. why no word from jolla?
There's word from Jolla in this piece by Digitoday.

For those not fluent in Finnish, Jolla chief of communications Juhani Lassila says that Antti Saarnio was in Russia last week negotiating this, that this was the second time they were talking about this, and that the project is at a very early stage. Not much more.

Also, according to Tivi, Russia wants to develop their own platform that would be based on Sailfish and Russians would be doing the development themselves – they just don't want to start from scratch. (Tivi's article is translated from the original RBC piece which I don't understand, so I don't know how accurate it is.)

Last edited by ssahla; 2015-05-18 at 13:47.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ssahla For This Useful Post:
Hopefully this means new Jolla hardware that can survive falls from high buildings, tv towers etc

The Following User Says Thank You to Martinhsl68hw For This Useful Post:
Probably the best news for Sailfish and Jolla in a while - an actual partner (of sorts).

Now, who wants to join me in praying for a YotaPhone running Sailfish OS?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I suppose Jolla will get some money
There is another article (Google translation).

TL;DR: No contracts or orders have been made. There won't be any country-specific version of Sailfish, but it could function as a platform to digital services. It shall be seen if Russia will license Sailfish in the future e.g. for schools or government agencies.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ssahla View Post
There's word from Jolla in this piece by Digitoday.

For those not fluent in Finnish, Jolla chief of communications Juhani Lassila says that Antti Saarnio was in Russia last week negotiating this, that this was the second time they were talking about this, and that the project is at a very early stage. Not much more.

Also, according to Tivi, Russia wants to develop their own platform that would be based on Sailfish and Russians would be doing the development themselves – they just don't want to start from scratch. (Tivi's article is translated from the original RBC piece which I don't understand, so I don't know how accurate it is.)
so they want to “branch” sail? They will do the development? but not start from scratch?

just take these three factors in the mix.

allow me to be sceptical to this whole thing. sounds like quality trolling of highest level

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-05-18 at 14:51.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Yes it said they want to develop new os based on sailfish, not using sailfish itself, si i think it would be nemomobile based, not sailfish really

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: