Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
M/S as in Microsoft?
I don't have such fantasy, Bill.
Do read up what I said again.
Yes your right it was a typo and should have said Intel. Thankyou ysss for pointing that one out but i aint going to correct it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Well if i did not know you better Gerbick i would say your stirring knowing Texrat is back but there again what would we do with you haha.

And my comments still stand as i am reeling from the astonishment of blind knowledge.
I'm just being a right tosser whilst having fun. Just keep it civil, that's all I mean.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm just being a right tosser whilst having fun. Just keep it civil, that's all I mean.
Go for it Gerbick i really dont have a problem and am all for fun and games on here sometimes.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Sad thing is, Elop thought this was a fire extinguisher for the burning platform.
Sometimes you need to use tactical explosives to snuff out oil rig fires.

But in this case I'm hoping he blows up the platform Nokia is standing on. **** Nokia and **** this board.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
I think it's a complete betrayal of hundreds of thousands of users
No, what was actually a complete betrayal was knowing the N900 was a dead piece of garbage but selling it wrapped in a mantle of lies any way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am so pissed of with Stephen Elop. Nokia was doing great until OPK left. All the problems started since Elop came. Ansi, & Jaaksi left and now Elop has totally destroyed the finnish company. Is there anything we as consumers can do to let the stock holders know our disapproval of Elop's plans? Surely this is not the way to go forward. What will happen to the Finnish economy? What about all the employees at nokia who have been working on symbian and meego?
Is there anything we can do to get our old nokia back??? Like an open letter to the stock holders to fire Elop and stop this madness??
Skipped the responses... just kind of wanted to answer the original post.

For Maemo and MeeGo communities, the best things to do would be to complete the projects that aren't, polish the headliners, and be relevant in ecosystems outside of Maemo/MeeGo (for example, has anyone here contributed a health app and service that would make open source tools the tools of trade in traditionally more closed and vertical systems).

I'd refer most people here (and at Nokia) to a piece I did at Brighthand not long after Palm's fate was just as apparent. Yes, there is a decision to eventually move on (here). Contrary to that position many had with Palm, there was no "platform in the hands of the people." There was no "current effort from another sizable IT company to forward development and implementation." They had to find a new place to go... here, there's the opportunity to show that Maemo/MeeGo is more than an experimental platform play - its one that can (if done expertly) invigorate ecosystems in the same way Firefox did for browsing, or RedHat did for severs and mainframes.

For Finland, the economy will take a hit. That part can't be avoided. What can be solved is creating opportunity for success in smaller pockets than Nokia could do in its larger state. That means looking for those opportunities to invest in companies that are startups, companies that have already moved on past just serving the "Nokian way" and started branching out (Rovio comes to mind). If you are involved in aspects of research and development, explore how the knowledge base of those who might be getting let go could become valuable for your organization. You might not be able to take the IP, but skills are worth as much, if not more, if they can be honed towards new enterprises.

What shouldn't happen is despair. There should be time to mourn. There's a season for that and it has to run its course. When its done, pick up the pants and fight a new battle. This is how culture and technology (beyond computing) has always evolved. Its not the end of the world, but it is the end of the world that many were accustomed to.

My prayers go out to the workers and investors alike. I felt that pang (as I noted in the linked article). It hurts. But, if I recall correctly, Finland was one of those nations to rise up from the effects of war and social upheaval in a fairly powerful and positive direction. I doubt that such a characteristic is easily removed from their hearts, even if efforts are made to take it from the world's stage.

Personally, I've got my own goals for seeing some aspects of Nokia's work here not go to waste. If there's a way to make it the kind of endeavor that could also be a home for exercising some great abilities of current/former Nokian workers and investors alike, I'd be glad to share a cup of cocoa and get to work.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2011-02-12 at 07:12. Reason: Updated Brighthand link to better stated one

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
As many others around here I am very sad that opensource linux on phones has taken a big punch in the stomach yesterday.
I just wish that some other company is taking advantage of the situation and tries to establish some alternative to M$ and spy-google in the phone OS market. I cannot think of any though which has the capability to build superior hardware

This just sucks. I don't want to get an android phone, nor wp7. Maemo was perfect. N900 was and still is perfect for me too...
Damn it nokia, whats going on?!?!?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raily For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by raily View Post
Maemo was perfect.
As long as your definition of perfect is a malformed test tube baby. You're like the parents who insist Downs' kids are the same as regular kids.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bourdain View Post
As long as your definition of perfect is a malformed test tube baby. You're like the parents who insist Downs' kids are the same as regular kids.
Well, I should have said it was perfect for me. N900 was the first phone I had full control of (let alone the network part) and in regards of bugs, there has been a big jump until PR1.3. The missing software was greatly provided by maemo.org community.
I'll just get out on the streets now, together with my N900, enjoying it as long as I can, my little downs' child

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raily For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Wel I did not say USA. America can be either north or south America.
Yeah sure you were really talking about the fella as if he was a Brazilian aborigine

Get outta here.

I don't like the American culture.
What do you have against Ecuadoreans

I prefer the modest down to earth Finnish culture
And yet your avatar is a picture of Sachin ****ing Tendulkar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining