Notices

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Sorry for the newb question, but how save is it to install this, and are there any significant downsides to the use of the enhanced kernel and the mobile-hotspot packages?

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Hi all

I tried Wifi Hotspot several times, but never got it working, neither on Windows XP nor on a Linux system.

When I read through all those posts, I get a lot of questions.

What I am desiring is a wiki page which explaines all the needed steps. I know that there are instructions on the project website, but they do not clear all the questions.

Some questions I have in my mind:
1. Which packages are needed?
2. Which kernel is needed? AFAIK there are several different power kernels. Which one is the right one?
3. Can I also use it to access my phone from a PC, but not having a gprs connections?
4. After I started it, do I have to connect the phone to a specific network?
(It seems to connect to the just created network and shows a adhoc icon in the status bar).
5. How do I debug if it does not work?
6. PC-conenctivity manager also offers an adhoc mode. What does it do? Is it similair, or is it even not compatible?

A lot of questions which arent realy solved through this and other threads.

And here the Problem I have:
My laptop (Win XP and Linux) both can see the network, but time out while connecting. I would expect that they get no response, no IP or something like that.

Thank you for your help and this great tool!
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

@caco3

I have installed kernel power 46 and mobilehotspot 0.3.4. I think that iptables and wireless-tools are also required. All these packages are in extras-testing. Connection sharing is working for my laptop (Vista32) and Nokia N95.

To install open x-terminal and type:
Code:
apt-get install mobilehotspot iptables wireless-tools
In extras-devel you can find mobilehotspot 0.3.5, but this one didn't worked for any of my devices. They couldn't even find N900's access point.

How to handle mobilehotspot (MHS)?

Don't connect the phone to the internet before starting MHS!
First open app and set "Connection", "Network name" and "Encryption". Then press on button "Start" which will initiate 2G/3G internet connection and start wifi access point. Button "Start" will be turned into "Stop", but wifi indicator won't be present/visible, there will be only for 2G/3G connection.
When you decide to end MHS, press on button "Stop". This will turn off wifi and disconnect 2G/3G internet connection. Button "Stop" will become again "Start".

Last edited by kolos; 2011-03-17 at 02:12.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
has anyone tried using mobile hotspot with an android tablet?

i am trying to decide whether to buy a motorola xoom tablet, so i went to best buy to check it out. i tried to connect to my n900 mobile hotspot, but the xoom kept indicating the network was out of range. a nook color similarly reports the network as out of range.

strangely, i can connect from my macbook and and an ipad 2 when i tested it last friday.

so what is causing xoom and nook color to be unable to connect?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I was told android devices don't get adhoc networks (I'm sorry if this is not technically correct). I haven't been able to "see" the joikuspot network either with wife's galaxy tab.

Originally Posted by kolos View Post
@caco3

I have installed kernel power 46 and mobilehotspot 0.3.4. I think that iptables and wireless-tools are also required. All these packages are in extras-testing. Connection sharing is working for my laptop (Vista32) and Nokia N95.

To install open x-terminal and type:
Code:
apt-get install mobilehotspot iptables wireless-tools
In extras-devel you can find mobilehotspot 0.3.5, but this one didn't worked for any of my devices. They couldn't even find N900's access point.

How to handle mobilehotspot (MHS)?

Don't connect the phone to the internet before starting MHS!
First open app and set "Connection", "Network name" and "Encryption". Then press on button "Start" which will initiate 2G/3G internet connection and start wifi access point. Button "Start" will be turned into "Stop", but wifi indicator won't be present/visible, there will be only for 2G/3G connection.
When you decide to end MHS, press on button "Stop". This will turn off wifi and disconnect 2G/3G internet connection. Button "Stop" will become again "Start".
I followed you instructions but was unable to get it to work just yet. DHCP is not functional. Clients are able to see the network, but they are unable to get an address or connect to the internet.

Following your instructions, I noticed it downloaded 0.3.5 instead of 0.3.4 like you claimed yours did. Anyway to force it to use the old package (assuming that is what is wrong)? Were there additional steps beyond rebooting that you used to kick off DHCP?

Lastly, how do you shut off your connections before starting MHS? (my connections seem to establish after rebooting, regardless of the state of the device on shutdown).

Originally Posted by aslande View Post
Following your instructions, I noticed it downloaded 0.3.5 instead of 0.3.4 like you claimed yours did. Anyway to force it to use the old package (assuming that is what is wrong)? Were there additional steps beyond rebooting that you used to kick off DHCP?
The easiest way is to uninstall current version, then disable extras-devel and install it again, but this time from extras-testing where is v0.3.4.

Another option is to specify version in xterminal. First uninstall current version:
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get remove --purge mobilehotspot
and then type:
Code:
apt-get install mobilehotspot=0.3.4

Lastly, how do you shut off your connections before starting MHS? (my connections seem to establish after rebooting, regardless of the state of the device on shutdown).
I shutdown my connections with desktop widget ConnectNow. Also you can tap on clock, then from appeared menu select "Internet connection" and choose "Disconnect [connection's name]".

Another thing, my Internet connections (Menu->Settings) are set to "Always ask".

Originally Posted by kolos View Post
The easiest way is to uninstall current version, then disable extras-devel and install it again, but this time from extras-testing where is v0.3.4.

Another option is to specify version in xterminal. First uninstall current version:
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get remove --purge mobilehotspot
and then type:
Code:
apt-get install mobilehotspot=0.3.4

I shutdown my connections with desktop widget ConnectNow. Also you can tap on clock, then from appeared menu select "Internet connection" and choose "Disconnect [connection's name]".

Another thing, my Internet connections (Menu->Settings) are set to "Always ask".
First of all, thanks for your reply.

I tried just using apt-get to downgrade the package. No luck, DHCP still didn't work.

I've now tried purging the original, and installing iptables (1.4.6-5), wireless-tools (30~pre7-1.3maemo+0m5) and mobilehotspot (0.3.4).

I changed my setting to "always ask" and have rebooted.

After a few surprises and issues with WEP, it suddenly started working. I'll have to see how it continues.

Thanks for your help!

First of all, thanks for your reply.

After a few surprises and issues with WEP, it suddenly started working. I'll have to see how it continues.
Usually if you can't get ip via DHCP you can't ping N900 even with static ip set (see thread for debugging instructions) which means there is some other network issue and debugging that is "just" like debugging network issues in general (ie time to dig up tcpdump, wireshark and kismet....)

@kolos. Your instructions did the trick for me. I had hotspot previously installed but couldn't get it to pass data because i didn't know about the disconnect the 2g/3G first. Big smiles on this end cause now I got my "iPad2 wifi only" to tether thru my n900 saving me hundreds of dollars on not having to buy the more expensive 3G version and pay additional data charges! Thanks so much.
And don't hate because I have an ipad2. Haha!

Last edited by heykennedy; 2011-04-01 at 11:54.