Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Berlin
As the title says, I'm wondering if it is possible to install deb-files without developer mode, or more precisely, without a terminal?

Or asking differently, is it possible to activate the developer mode without the need to connect to the Nokia servers? I.e., could I activate the developer mode just with the deb-files?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
You shouldn't need dev mode to install deb files.
But if you have package management issues it's handy to have the terminal.

IIRC you can install the terminal from the Nokia Store.*
Installing this way would do similar things in the background to enabling dev mode.
But probably not all the same things.....

*deb might be elsewhere, can't recall OTTOMH.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-01 at 18:27.

Ok, but how do I do it without internet connection? Just the N9 and a PC with the downloaded deb-files. How do I intall those?

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Can't you just transfer the files across using Bluetooth or USB then double click the deb file?

Not tried without a connection, but it should work?

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Once your .deb file transferred to your N9 (via BT or USB), you can install it with a file manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Install a file manager from ovi store. Use the file manager to browse and click on the deb file to install it. You have to enable "allow installation from non-store sources" under Settings/Application/Installation. Developer mode is not necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Ok, thanks, for your answers. Ok, from your suggestions I see that I still need the Ovi Store. I must say I'm asking hypothetically.

My idea is the following. I'm just imaging that Microsoft (former Nokia) is stopping support for non MS-Software entirely, so no Ovi-Store anymore. I accidentally bricked my phone, but I have the flasher and all the images and deb files by hand. Then, how do I restore my N9 and become root?

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Install a file manager from ovi store. Use the file manager to browse and click on the deb file to install it. You have to enable "allow installation from non-store sources" under Settings/Application/Installation. Developer mode is not necessary.
Can I install wazapp like that? Because dev mode on my phone isn't working at all (can't find installation package)

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
you SHOULD install wazapp like that.
you SHOULD NOT install wazapp from terminal!

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
you SHOULD install wazapp like that.
you SHOULD NOT install wazapp from terminal!
It's not working. Nor dev mode, nor wazapp...