Posts: 4 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Have you used Android applications?

Do you have IM enabled? Facebook? How many contacts on your contact list?

If you install powertop

(enable developer mode, ssh over USB, run 'devel-su', enter password in developer mode panel in settings to get root, then run:

ssu ar mer-tools
pkcon refresh
pkcon install powertop)

and run powertop for a few minutes with the screen off/device idle, what shows up?
I do have IM and Facebook enabled and there are about 50-70 contacts on the list but only 1-5 are online. I used Android application (dolphin browser).

I try that ssh when I get to home. Do I have to register as developer or do I only enable develop-mode and allow remote-ssh?

The Following User Says Thank You to Papru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I still don't have a good idea of how to do it right. Flooding the screen with hundreds of entries is probably not the right thing to do.
Suggestions are welcome.
Suggestions will come when I understand how the event screen is supposed to work on the Jolla phone. There seems to be a conceptual difference between Jolla and the N9.

(On the N9, simply pumping the headlines plus first n characters or so of selected feeds to the event screen in chronological order was a great solution and exactly what I needed. Worked better than most stand-alone RSS readers for me, mobile or desktop.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Papru View Post
I do have IM and Facebook enabled and there are about 50-70 contacts on the list but only 1-5 are online. I used Android application (dolphin browser).

I try that ssh when I get to home. Do I have to register as developer or do I only enable develop-mode and allow remote-ssh?
It's the IM, since I don't think it's push, so it's constantly connected to the internet. Or atleast that's how the N9 was.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Here is a less biased review that I found from mainstream media:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/2...nds-on-preview

"Yes, it sounds very reminiscent of the Nokia N9, but in practice it's highly unintuitive and unwieldy to the point where the entire UI paradigm can be considered broken. Screen transitions and in-app animations go from left to right, inviting the user to swipe from right to left to go back, but that’s not how you’re supposed to do it. A notification pops down from the top of the screen, but if you try to swipe down to view it, you're liable to unintentionally close your current app, or more annoyingly, lock the entire phone. Then there's the fact that a swipe from the middle of the screen produces a different result than a swipe from the edge. It all adds up to a frustrating learning experience. The user is forced to adapt around the operating system rather than the other way around."

"In my time with the Jolla today, I've seen multiple apps crash and refuse to load, the onscreen keyboard also crashed and required a reboot, and there's a general slowness to activating apps that is not competitive with modern smartphone alternatives. That's to be expected from a beta software version, which is where Sailfish OS presently remains. Jolla says that it "wanted to get this as early as possible into customers' hands," and it'll be delivering regular updates to get full functionality rolled out.

One of the most glaring omissions from the shipping software is LTE support. The hardware's inside the phone — along with Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC, both of which are functional — but Jolla hasn't been able to get the software support done in time."

Hmmmmm.....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Papru View Post
You need to have enabled developer mode. To do that, you need to have a Jolla account on the device (as it needs to download packages, you also need one to use the store, get updates, etc)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post

"Yes, it sounds very reminiscent of the Nokia N9, but in practice it's highly unintuitive and unwieldy to the point where the entire UI paradigm can be considered broken. Screen transitions and in-app animations go from left to right, inviting the user to swipe from right to left to go back, but that’s not how you’re supposed to do it. A notification pops down from the top of the screen, but if you try to swipe down to view it, you're liable to unintentionally close your current app, or more annoyingly, lock the entire phone. Then there's the fact that a swipe from the middle of the screen produces a different result than a swipe from the edge. It all adds up to a frustrating learning experience. The user is forced to adapt around the operating system rather than the other way around."

"In my time with the Jolla today, I've seen multiple apps crash and refuse to load, the onscreen keyboard also crashed and required a reboot, and there's a general slowness to activating apps that is not competitive with modern smartphone alternatives. That's to be expected from a beta software version, which is where Sailfish OS presently remains. Jolla says that it "wanted to get this as early as possible into customers' hands," and it'll be delivering regular updates to get full functionality rolled out.

One of the most glaring omissions from the shipping software is LTE support. The hardware's inside the phone — along with Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC, both of which are functional — but Jolla hasn't been able to get the software support done in time."

Hmmmmm.....
The dudes clearly been using Android for too long and way to reliant on the pull down bar. Also not sure if you or he understands what beta means.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Bad news. I was afraid they didn't learn their lesson from N9 email: the worst email client in the history of smartphones. Nokia pedigree on display again.
I beg to differ. At least N9 MfE implementation is more or less fine - and in any case orders of magnitude better than anything coming out of the box on Android devices. One on N900 was ok'ish also, except lack of policies support.

The Following User Says Thank You to haliava For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland

Hmmmmm.....

Yes, the writer, Vlad, can really be taken less biased with his history. As less biased as you are.

I really couldn't get this: "Screen transitions and in-app animations go from left to right, inviting the user to swipe from right to left to go back, but that’s not how you’re supposed to do it. A notification pops down from the top of the screen, but if you try to swipe down to view it, you're liable to unintentionally close your current app, or more annoyingly, lock the entire phone."

I now have the phone in my hands, and just can't understand what he is writing in here. Also wondering whether this writer really have some serious problems upstairs. In the same article he tells how the notifications are accessed swiping up from the bottom and then in the next sentence he is wondering why he can't do it by swiping down from up.

Don't know now, maybe I should start to feel sorry for him also and not only for Lumiaman.

Hmmmmm....

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Tabs reloading? That's the most annoying thing I have ever experienced on a gadget.
Its not just annoying, its a sign that memory management (browser engine) is failing somewhere. When devices started having that problem (my 1st gen iPad for example), that was in part because the pages were to heavy, but also because of the way pages were cached into memory (not compressed) and the expectation of the UX that you'd only want to view one tab at a time (testing/QA and preference thingy).

Little details like that tend to reveal a lot about the goal-setting aspects of the development processes. Not a knock, just a revelation.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Wiki entry for MSM8930 has up to 1.2 GHz, is it oc by default/
Dmesg indicates 8930AA.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience