Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I haven't experienced problems with Bluetooth on the N9
The N9 has virtually non-working BT/WLAN coexistance. And possibly a too small buffer for AdvAudio profile.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
well, certain things were granted in 2007 also. Certain thing were granted when WP7 came out. What's your point?
What is your point? Mine is simple, if your car had anti lock brakes than all the new cars will have that feature. Otherwise no one will buy it. Jolla phone as it stands, is a developer device, not for mass consumption.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That's the same uphill battle that folks that haven't used the N9 and saw the potential and/or change in the Harmattan UI. Now you have Sailfish, with tons of enhancements, some changes are welcome, some are challenging.
Yup. Or Gnome 3. or Unity. Etc. Same old. Change is destabilising, for a while and then recombinative later. Sadly, philosophical veritude is not a strong point of IT reviewers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
This is true it seems. It really does reload the tab again when changing them. I also think that this is bad. In the N9 used to open several windows background and then just switch between them. This browser doesn't seem to handle this well
On a slower system it is crucial to allow the loading of web pages in the background and not force the user to wait.

Untill this issue has been fixed we could multitask between Firefox, Jolla Browser and Chrome for Android?
Is Firefox at least keeping opened tabs in cache?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
In watching Engadget's video, I think we find exactly what's happening. There's a different - probably one could use the term evolved - perspective towards gestures that Jolla has taken that is indeed pushing the "pictures under glass" metaphor a lot further than some can be comfortable with. Part of that is a given due to how new it is, but another part of that is that there are expectations towards computing which might feel simple, but are probably so learned that they are harder to divorce from than they are to just be taught (Ars had a piece on this wise today).

The challenge in the UI, that was actually well spoken in the video - and that Ive's iteration of iOS7 has narrowly missed - is that because of the task-first methods of interaction that mobiles have done for so long, its very hard to do an interaction model that plays in space just as much as it plays *for* a task. That's a mental hurdle that's easy peasy to those who deal with assistive technologies often, less so for those persons who see their base technology uses as not being assistive at all, but being normal. Blackberry could have gone further and it would have been a similar reaction - even with the messaging-then-gesturing approach.

Refinement so far with Sailfish means to make it look/act like what I remember that it should be. Shame we forget what machines do to teach us, because we'd have a different perspective of this and other experiments (that aren't copies of the things we've learnt - FirefoxOS, Ubuntu Mobile, etc.).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Can adblock plus be installed?
Yes, it can be installed but I'm not sure if it works correctly. Test results were inconclusive. I haven't used Adblock plus before.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
Yes, it can be installed but I'm not sure if it works correctly. Test results were inconclusive. I haven't used Adblock plus before.
Just open heavy ad-filled site, do they still show up? suddenly content takes 100% of the space? Should be really easy to discern

Edit: then again, on N900 the ABP plugin got packaged, not sure if installing it like on normal FF worked, maybe it does need some kind of packaging

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
NoScript (among others) is your friend :-)
Noscript Anywhere is being developed only for Firefox mobile leaving only one viable browser on Jolla with potential instabilities and memory / battery leaking.

Would you care to list the NoScript alternatives you happen to know?
Hosts file?

Scripts:
A browser on Symbian, Minibrowser Mobile has this very useful button to enable / disable scripts from its front page.

Major comfort on mobile!

Cookies:
On N900 you could allow cookies per site on the fly. Allow never, always for this site.

Shows MicroB 's intention was not primarily to serve the trackers.

Most browsers play a double play, sadly. Boast "secure" but don't offer convenient to use security options.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
oooo Do the Android applications multitask in realtime? e.g play a youtube video in the android application and switch out. Is the video still playing?

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Just open heavy ad-filled site, do they still show up? suddenly content takes 100% of the space? Should be really easy to discern
It seems that many sites that are ad-filled on desktop offer you only a mobile version that is totally different from the desktop version when you surf with Jolla.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience