Active Topics

you know what name really truly bothers me? MoJo, like it's so lame!

what's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!

chill dude, I understand we are all anxious for updates but this topic is really out there. it's like when you watch that cool guy at school get all the girls for a few weeks and you start to even hate his name.....
"Tyler. what kind of stupid name is that anyways. My name is Tyler, I'm sooo cool"

Well here is like an echo chamber, because everyone here has already acclimated to MeeGo, but in the universe that isn't maemo.org ... there is confusion. It's like Samsung Bada; first thing that comes to mind is "What the hell is it ... OMG not another OS". It isn't that they couldn't go with either Maemo or Moblin, is that they didn't which is a clear difference.

Shelving two good brands instead to use a crappy name that aside this here board most don't know about. Is not only risky, but says a lot about where Nokia and Intel position this here OS.

Is it wrong to retain Maemo as the name and use MeeGo as a compliance brand?

Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
It isn't that they couldn't go with either Maemo or Moblin, is that they didn't which is a clear difference.
Well, MeeGo -isn't- Moblin and it -isn't- Maemo. It's something else and as such needs a distinct name.

Shelving two good brands instead to use a crappy name that aside this here board most don't know about. Is not only risky, but says a lot about where Nokia and Intel position this here OS.
Developing your own Linux distribution is risky. Intel and Nokia are going out on a limb in combining the two to make a single OS out of them. That too is risky, but less so than previously. And the fact that two big names in technology are backing it give it a lot more credibility for 3rd parties than each had on its own. On top of that it's being led by the Linux Foundation, which is about as close to the core of the Linux community as you can get.

Is it wrong to retain Maemo as the name and use MeeGo as a compliance brand?
Because after Harmattan there will be nothing on Nokia phones that bears any resemblance to Maemo as it stands today. It will be something completely different (but hopefully just as open, if not moreso.)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hating a name is too little to hate. Come back in a month and you'll see.

"Maemo" or "Moblin" were no options in a merge that results in a Linux Foundation project and trademark.

Discussing a commercial brand publicly is always impractical: you need to go through all kinds of brand checks and you need to be the first in the trademark offices and the web domains shops.

You might like the name or not, but you can't deny Nokia, Intel, and the Linux Foundation have some experience managing brands.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
What experience ... Ovi is a lame excuse for a service, and Intel has chips not really much of a brand to market (they make peripherals, that are bought based on functionality most of the branding is numbers X58).

You are telling me these two big companies couldn't agree on either Moblin or Maemo ... it's not like they need the trademarks since those brands will be shelved.

Anyways the name still sucks, I don't think it was a good choice. Better yet I think the best way to save face is to consider MeeGo like a compliancy badge.

Maemo with MeeGo support
Moblin with MeeGo support
XYZ Company with MeeGo support

Just like:

Intel Core2 Duo with HyperThreading

Create a standards for compliancy and that should be it.

Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
Intel has chips not really much of a brand to market (they make peripherals, that are bought based on functionality most of the branding is numbers X58).
Wow. I never thought I'd see someone ever claim that Intel doesn't have much of a brand.

Intel has such a powerful brand, and such influence over pretty much every PC manufacturer, that HP will create a commercial and before you see HP's logo or any of their products you see the Intel logo first.

Intel has huge brand, to the point that people who don't know about computers are familiar with it. The only brand more successful was the Pentium brand, which was known (amusingly) to people who didn't even know what Intel was.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-04-07 at 06:18.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm not going to discuss the capacity of Nokia and Intel to handle brands. It's a fact they have it.

It is also pointless to discuss whether you will like the MeeGo brand or not, whether you will hate it in a month or not anymore.

I'm also saying that Nokia, Intel and The Linux Foundation have the capacity to handle properly the MeeGo brand, and the chances are that they will do it properly.

No need to repeat this in further posts.

wasn't meego a msn avatar a while ago ?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I will agree that for me MeeGo is an ugly name. It is also awkward to say.
"I have a blackberry"
"I have a windows phone"
"I have a MeeGo"

I think mojo is right, it's ridiculous. And stop saying that names doesn't matter, they matter. Like looks matter. And if you want proof make a quick poll who has his phone wearing a custom theme.
________
The Sanctuary of Truth Wong Amat

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:33.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I will agree that for me MeeGo is an ugly name. It is also awkward to say.
"I have a blackberry"
"I have a windows phone"
"I have a MeeGo"
"I have a Nokia"
or
"I have a meego phone" (from any other brand like it would be with windows mobile)

really that difficult?
I don't think so.
I like meego (everything lowercase)

Tags
leaving room for worse, meeleavin', meetrollin & meeflamin, megoing