Active Topics

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Often, even when I hardly have any applications open, system sounds such as SMS/E-Mail ringtone come with a lag or stutter. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Is there a workaround available? Its quite bad and unimpressive!

The Following User Says Thank You to shanrizvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
overclocking ;-)

Overclocking is not the solution. Renicing processes is more viable. Thy this:

Edit the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
change the value of nice level to -20 (the default is -11)
save and reboot

If you experience some shuttering after several hours, this can help:
sudo gainroot
killall pulseaudio

this may helps even without renicing pulseaudio. Hope thi help you! GOD bless you ALL!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:
Thanks JorgeFX, I'll try that. Just for my information, what exactly is this "nice level"? What does that mean?

On second thought, I suppose that is some sort of a priority setting for the pulseaudio process. Wondering whether there could be some way to prioritize the phone application so the screen doesn't stutter and slow down when you receive a call.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive been having the same issue. jorge doesnt your optimise program fix this issue?

Originally Posted by shanrizvi View Post
Thanks JorgeFX, I'll try that. Just for my information, what exactly is this "nice level"? What does that mean?
I found this: what "nice" in linux means is, how nice should this process be to other processes. its from -20 to 20. the smaller number means, pulse audio is not be nice to other processes and use its share of the cpu most! and u set it to -20 so its good for helping pulse audio run well

The Following User Says Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shanrizvi View Post
On second thought, I suppose that is some sort of a priority setting for the pulseaudio process. Wondering whether there could be some way to prioritize the phone application so the screen doesn't stutter and slow down when you receive a call.
Yes, it is something like that. And yes, you can do that with the phone app, but I recommend not to. It is better if you tweak the transitions because the phone app problem is related to the transitions and the phone interface, not the phone app itself. With a good transition tweak you can say good bye to that problem

Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
ive been having the same issue. jorge doesnt your optimise program fix this issue?
No, my OptimizeN900 script only helps to free memory and restart some processes including the audio process and that is the reason why you all experiment some kind of fix, but that is just because all the junk that was running and eating your ram and processor's cycles are gone and the audio process is free to run like butter

But, like I said in several post, it do NOT fix issues that NOKIA should fix!

I'm working in other scripts the tweak some things on the device, and the renice pulseaudio process I posted here is one of the things I included Be pacient. Meanwhile, GOD Bless You ALL!

Last edited by JorgeFX; 2010-08-12 at 10:12.

pulseaudio is plain horrible!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanrizvi For This Useful Post: