Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by naidu9 View Post
Hello all,

I've been trying since yesterday to get this to work but no luck. I have a n800 with an 8gb external card. After installing local-mmc1.deb successfully in 10 minutes, I cant get past step 2 - kde-3.5.8-mmc1.deb. which is suppose to take 20-30 minutes. When I click to install an update pop-up says "Update application?" Update? Anyway, I click ok and it is unable to update. I look at my installed applications and it shows kde-mmc1 with an exclamtion point icon with 3 black squares next to it. I try to uninstall this so I can go back to step 2 and the pop-up says unable. Details says - Application: kde-mmc1 status:broken category: user/support installed version 3.5.8-PB2 size 1.05mb. Below it on the application list is another entry - kdesup. I click details on it and it says Application: kdesup status:broken category: user/support installed version 3.5.8-PB1 size 31.5mb. I am unable to uninstall these or go on to the next step. How can I rectify this situation? I'm stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I am on AIM as penguinbait

I am on irc as penguinbait
#maemo on irc.freenode.net

I have jabber, yahoo, msn,

come find me or tell me how to find you, you can PM me if you like

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by naidu9 View Post
Hello all,

I've been trying since yesterday to get this to work but no luck. I have a n800 with an 8gb external card. After installing local-mmc1.deb successfully in 10 minutes, I cant get past step 2 - kde-3.5.8-mmc1.deb. which is suppose to take 20-30 minutes. When I click to install an update pop-up says "Update application?" Update? Anyway, I click ok and it is unable to update. I look at my installed applications and it shows kde-mmc1 with an exclamtion point icon with 3 black squares next to it. I try to uninstall this so I can go back to step 2 and the pop-up says kdesup 3.5.8-2008S-PB1(?). I click details it says Application: kdesup status:broken category: user/support size 31.5mb. I am unable to uninstall this or go on to the next step. How can I rectify this situation? I'm stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I will prefice what I'm about to say with this: it is only how I see things as a non-Linux usin', non xTerm usin' idiot. But this may represent some of the things that are being taken for granted by those that understand the process better than I do.
I was gung ho to come home tonight and give this install a try. But I'm now afraid I would run into the experience you are having. If you read this whole thread very carefully I think you find that:

1. The downloaded files need to go to a specific place. I have no idea how to put them there.

2. The card might need to be formated in 'windows' I'm not sure exactly what that means. For example, I don't know if maybe a stock card comes this way or whether I need to use my XP lap top or my N800 to do this.
3. There might be confussion about whether mmc1 in the n800 means the internal card or the external card although I am assuming it means the internal card.
4. I'm not sure if the download files are zipped or not. I did try to start the install process earlier today but the first nstall file would not install. The detail said it was over 1500 GB in size. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it said.
5 You need to be certain that the downloaded files are the correct size. But I don't know how to use xTerm to verify this.
But I suppose if I used Buns method of downloading to my XP computer and then transfering could work, but as I said, I wouldn't know where or how to put the files in the right place.
6. Penguinbait mentions that after uninstalling this it leaves some things on the IT which may not be a big deal but I wouldn't know how to change that latter if needed.

Anyway, I guess for those that can deal with the above things this is an easy install , but not for me. I'll probably sit this one out for now. But I'll be quite interested to see where it goes.

Neil

PS- I'm quite impressed and thankful to Penguinbait for offering to help people directly. Who knows, maybe I'll take him up on that sooner or latter.

Last edited by sungrove; 2008-01-11 at 01:29. Reason: clean up typos

G'day everybody!

Thanks for this great piece of work!
KDE is now my standard desktop environment.
I searched for a Linux app which will make a right-click possible - something like the Maemo-function...
I found this:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2004-June/001233.html (click)
And hopefully someone can use it, to built (in the best case) a working deb-file :-D
I am a total Linux-Newbie and i have no idea, if this stuff is useful or not - but i hope so...

PS: I have also the font-problem...

Originally Posted by RaTm View Post
G'day everybody!

Thanks for this great piece of work!
KDE is now my standard desktop environment.
I searched for a Linux app which will make a right-click possible - something like the Maemo-function...
I found this:
And hopefully someone can use it, to built (in the best case) a working deb-file :-D
I am a total Linux-Newbie and i have no idea, if this stuff is useful or not - but i hope so...

PS: I have also the font-problem...

If I ever get an 810, #1 on my list if you guys beat me to it, all the better let me know. Check out xmodmap you should be able to map, not sure if anyone compiled it yet?

Originally Posted by RaTm View Post
I found this:
I really wish they had modified tslib in the first place, rather than the current per-application tap and hold.

I saw that patch before, and a few others, but none of them will work without modification, since the maemo tslib.c is different

If anyone's interested, I ended up writing an ugly little perl script since I couldn't find any other way to send a right-click. It interferes with applications that use tap and hold by default, such as microb, though.

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
I will prefice what I'm about to say with this: it is only how I see things as a non-Linux usin', non xTerm usin' idiot. But this may represent some of the things that are being taken for granted by those that understand the process better than I do.
I was gung ho to come home tonight and give this install a try. But I'm now afraid I would run into the experience you are having. If you read this whole thread very carefully I think you find that:

1. the downloaded files need to go to a specific place. I have no idea how to put them there.
Just put the files on the card NOT IN A SUB DIRECTORY, apparently I was not specific enough

2. The card might need to be formated in 'windows' I'm not sure exactly what that means.
It should be FAT or FAT32, this is a window/dos filesystem, which is by default on SD cards when you buy them, so unless you installed linux, your fine

3. There might be confussion about whether mmc1 in the n800 means the internal card or the external card although I am assuming it means the internal card.
On my n800 mmc1 is external and mmc2 in internal

4. I'm not sure if the download files are zipped or not. I did try to start the install process earlier today but the first nstall file would not install. The detail said it was over 1500 GB in size. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it said.
It will create a 1.3GB file on you SD/mmc card called local.img which it mounts as /usr/local and a 128MB file called swap.img, which is your swap file. Does it really say 1500GB , my local says 1.2gb

5 You need to be certain that the downloaded files are the correct size. But I don't know how to use xTerm to verify this.
But I suppose if I used Buns method of downloading to my XP computer and then transfering could work, but as i said, I wouldn't know where or how to put the files in the right place.
Again you put the files on the card, not in any directory. So for example:
If you put the SD/mmc card in Windows, it will show up as a new drive letter. Say E: So, if I have a SD card it may have a directory "pictures" that in windows in represented as E:\PICTURES

So do not create a directory called E:\KDE and put the files in there.
Place the files in E:\ so E:\kdesup-3.5.8.deb.

FILE SIZES IN WINDOWS
[ ] KDE358.tar.bz2 -- 294M
[ ] kde-3.5.8-mmc1.deb -- 301k
[ ] kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb -- 301k
[ ] kdesup-3.5.8.deb -- 20.3M
[ ] local-mmc1.deb -- 499k
[ ] local-mmc2.deb -- 499k

ALSO NOTE, be SURE KDE358.tar.bz2 does not get renamed as some has stated in Vista I think.

6. Penguinbait mentions that after uninstalling this it leaves some things on the IT which may not be a big deal but i wouldn't know how to change that latter if needed.

docpurge (a three line script to delete files) is not needed, from my point of view, it deletes documentation that people put in thier debs. So if I package a doc and place it in those dirs it will delete everything in that dir. If you dont want the docs, dont install the debs. Developers (or hackers) wouldnt put stuff there if you didnt need it. So a choice is made to print, or delete documentation. I actually intended to restore it but it was causing problems on reinstalls so I just axed it, because I can do that , packaging debs can be actually quite a tricky process.
If that is a problem, maybe KDE is just not for you

The other thing I chose not to remove is the sudoers file, while its very easy to add a line to a file, I am more concerned about re-writing the entire file to remove it. If something were to go wrong on the re-write process of the sudoers file your tablet would be hosed, and you would have to reflash. That was not something I was willing to risk scripting. So the line added to sudoers file allows user to run any command as root with no password, basically is another option so becomeroot.deb is not even needed. from xterm run "sudo su -" and you will become root user. Anyway I know I am losing you again, ok I am trying here
So if you decide to remove KDE, if you PM me and tell me how to contact you on IM or IRC and I will walk you through how to remove your root access personally .

Anyway, I guess for those that can deal with those things this is an easy install , but not for me. I'll probably sit this one out for now. But I'll be quite interested to see where it goes.

Neil

As I stated in my original post THIS IS A HACK. I am offering you an experience I can't promise perfection, but I will try to help you if you have any probelms as well as others. The worst case scenario is you you have to reflash your tablet, the best case, your printing webpages and emails in about an hour.

I want to take this moment to thank you, It has been a pleasure answering your questions, I hope you find my answers helpfull and not to technical. Its hard to understand what other people do not know, I really want to make this an easy process for people to try, but as with any hack there is risk involved. How do you know I am not dropping tons of spyware or something on your tablet.. You don't, but I am a good guy, you can trust me

Again answering your questions is helping many others, so thank you.

Wow that was tiring

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I want to take this moment to thank you, It has been a pleasure answering your questions, I hope you find my answers helpfull and not to technical. Its hard to understand what other people do not know, I really want to make this an easy process for people to try, but as with any hack there is risk involved. How do you know I am not dropping tons of spyware or something on your tablet.. You don't, but I am a good guy, you can trust me

Wow that was tiring
Wow, Penguinbate, you are a really nice guy for sure. Taking all that time to specifically answer my posted questions has me very impressed indeed. I'll do some more home work here and give this a shot. I know you are putting a huge amount of time into this. In the end I'll want to support you with a donation and or a beer.

Cheers
Neil

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I am a good guy, you can trust me

Thank you so much penguinbait, you have no idea how great you are to take the time to help all us novices out.

I never thought I could have such a robust operating system on my N800 until now (it's like a mini laptop now!). Keep up the great work, I have much respect for you...

Last edited by migs; 2008-01-11 at 05:06.

Penguinbate,

I downloaded the mmc2 files to my lap top tonight. When I right click and then click properties I get the following file sizes:

local-mmc2.deb size 173 kb ( 177,879 bytes)
size on disk 176 kb ( 180,224 bytes)

Kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb
size 165 kb ( 169,119 bytes)
size on disk 168 kb ( 172,032 bytes)

Kdesup-3.5.8.deb
size 20.2 MB (21,260,684 bytes)
size on disk 20.2 MB ( 21,262,336 bytes)

KDE 358.tar ( this was the way my windows xp showed it. It obviously stripped the .bz2 )
size 139kb ( 142,826 bytes)
size on disk 140 kb ( 143,360 bytes)

These are quite different sizes than you have listed earlier. Do you have any idea what's happening ?
I'll try the download again to see if I get different numbers.

Neil

Last edited by sungrove; 2008-01-11 at 06:29.

Originally Posted by God_f@ther View Post
Can someone post a snapshot or image of what KDE/Koffice is? I would like to see. Thank you.
There are some shots in the 'general' forum. I forget what the thread label is but it is about koffice. The shots are quite impressive.

Neil

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice