Active Topics

Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
I often use it by having programs and/or web sites running or waiting for my next input. When I surf the web, I will have multiple sites open, and also use the gps, music, and multiple txt conversations going on at the same time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taleydra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
When i'm not using it, i usually close everything, but when i'm using it, i usually have 4 or more windows open. Usually all browser windows, flicking back and forth between different sites.
That's sounds like me. I keep my desktop clean when I'm done but keep a certain set of apps open when I need them: email, 2 times browser, 2 times conversations.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
I will generally have xchat and pidgin both up, along with conky, some web browser windows and either mediabox or pyradio up for music. If I'm driving, I'll keep all that up (just in the background, of course) and use Mappero as gps/traffic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leviathan3k For This Useful Post:
I often have multiple browser windows open, reading the gen on one page while waiting for t'others to load. Also, poping back and forth between web-pages and emails or notes I'm composing is fairly common. If I open the calendar, I'll tend to leave it open in month view forspeed of reference, only shutting it if I have so many windows open it becomes a drag to navigate between them; ditto Notes, Messaging and Email.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leviathan3k View Post
I will generally have xchat and pidgin both up, along with conky, some web browser windows and either mediabox or pyradio up for music. If I'm driving, I'll keep all that up (just in the background, of course) and use Mappero as gps/traffic.
Interesting to see that you have so many community apps running in parallel not only the pre-installed apps. Interesting, indeed.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I have been wondering something for a time now.

How do you define app? I mean most of us got cron, scripts, several IM accounts and is terminal an app? Is it just a part of the system? I mean how do you define "app" on N900?

Edit: I usually have around 1-3 windows opened most of the time, but as i said i got alot of running in the background.

The Following User Says Thank You to antezz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Orlando, FL
I always keep my e-mail and twitter open. If I am actively browsing the web or using other programs, then I will close them when I'm done. I love multitasking in Maemo and hope it continues to be great with Meego.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medic7051 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i try to have as much as i can open
my n900 is there to work!!!
no time for chill out.
cpu at 850 for 2 hours
temp 50 degrees lol

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
My average is 6-9 but there are times when i need to scroll to reach some windows, and times when there is only one window open and the dashboard is mostly useless

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by antezz View Post
I have been wondering something for a time now.

How do you define app? I mean most of us got cron, scripts, several IM accounts and is terminal an app? Is it just a part of the system? I mean how do you define "app" on N900?
Okay, frankly speaking, you know too much. ;-)

Joke aside, I'm referring to apps that you open from application menu or several instances of the same app (browser, conversations), but not scripts you fire up with xterm that run in the background and you can't affect from the multitasking view. Xterm is an app by my definition.

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey