Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Perhaps I missed it in the new guide, but is there a way to open and call contacts without opening the keyboard? Can you access contacts and call in portrait mode with touch screen? I understand we can not text yet in portrait mode, but surely something as rock dead basic as this can be done in portrait, since this is how you would use it to make calls.
Holding the phone in portrait-mode automatically brings up the phone app (screenshot02.png). From there, you can 'Select Contact' to bring up the contact list or choose 'Dialpad' (which in the screenshot is behind the yellow message) to bring up the dialpad.

The phone app can also be brought up by pressing the power key and selecting 'Phone'.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Australia
Is it possible to speed-dial favourites?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
Holding the phone in portrait-mode automatically brings up the phone app (screenshot02.png). From there, you can 'Select Contact' to bring up the contact list or choose 'Dialpad' (which in the screenshot is behind the yellow message) to bring up the dialpad.

The phone app can also be brought up by pressing the power key and selecting 'Phone'.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-11-10 at 22:52.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
heres some n900 support videos which might be useful to some people who've not been as addicted to the n900 hype as most of us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NokiaSupportVideos

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
heres some n900 support videos which might be useful to some people who've not been as addicted to the n900 hype as most of us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NokiaSupportVideos
Thank you
So there's no quick favourites one touch dialing.
I'll have to think about this as its a facility I use very, very often.
Is there perhaps a recently dialed numbers list which is easily accessible?

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Thanks!!!!!!!! It is not worded in a way that suggests this in the manual. Can you write us one?
Rushmore can I persuade you to edit your original post (9) to indicate the correction, led me up the garden path for a while.

Snippet from the manual

"If you hold the device in the portrait orientation, you can use
the initial character icons on the right side of the display to
find your contact."

Mike C

Last edited by mikec; 2009-11-10 at 22:59.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Every language is there, except mine (not only UG, but N900 itself doesn't have too). Come on Nokia..
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Darrylp View Post
Thank you
So there's no quick favourites one touch dialing.
I'll have to think about this as its a facility I use very, very often.
Is there perhaps a recently dialed numbers list which is easily accessible?
I think a lot of this stuff will get improved by the end of the year. More phone centric options will make the device more appealing to people beyond techs and media nuts like me.

Now I just have to hope Dell sends me the N900 at least before the end of the year

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
This video shows recent call contacts and portrait mode keyboardless contact calling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZu3nku2uM

The Following User Says Thank You to fphillips For This Useful Post: