Active Topics

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Amsterdam
I'm looking for a new smartphone. Or maybe smartphone isn't quite the right word. Before it got stolen, I used my iPhone not so much as a phone, but a mobile pocket computer. I used Maps, Safari, Mail and Locly (a cool app that tells you what's going on where you are) way more than I used the phone or the (admittedly brilliant) SMS app.

But the iPhone is way too locked down. Apple is the big gatekeeper that decides what I can and can't do with my pocket computer, and that sucks. I want tethering, Google Voice, buying from alternative app stores, and improve existing apps.

So Android sounds like a cool alternative. A year ago it was still too young and new, but now, there are some really nice Android phones on the market. Or about to appear on the market. The Motorola Milestone sounds absolutely brilliant, as does the Xperia X10. But the Xperia isn't available yet, and the Milestone comes with a QWERTZ keyboard rather than a QWERTY one, and who knows how long before a Dutch version appears? And is it really completely open? I read somewhere that you still need to pull some trickery in order to become root on your own machine.

And then I discover the N900 and Maemo, and it sounds like everything the others aren't. For one thing, Nokia seems to be the only manufacturer who really seems to get the point that a high-end smartphone isn't a phone anymore, but a pocket computer.

But the N900 with Maemo really as good as the others? I don't doubt it's theoretically more powerful, but does it have a similar selection of quality apps? Does it have the hardware to support that range of apps (like a digital compass)? Android has 10,000 apps, and the iPhone has 100,000. Now most of those are crap, so big numbers aren't all that important, but does Maemo really offer the same kind of apps as the better iPhone and Android? Is it as easy to develop for as Android is rumoured to be? Does it have an official app store that offers app developers a financial incentive to produce quality apps?

And then there's the resistive touch screen and the stylus. Isn't that yesterday's technology? Shouldn't it have capacitive touch and multitouch?

It seems to me that the N900, great though in some hardware areas, is lacking a bit in other areas. I'm also afraid I'll end up with a bare Linux desktop rather than a smooth and slick smartphone with lots of cool apps accessible with only a single click. (I don't want to browse through menus to find the app I want.)

Then again, Maemo also seems to have a smart, active and dedicated community, and that's worth something too.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
How good is Maemo/N900 really?
They're both just awful, the phone and the os.

(that's the answer you were looking for, right?)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
They're both just awful, the phone and the os.

(that's the answer you were looking for, right?)
And if it wasn't the fact that everything else out there was even worse I'd cancel that pre-order.

Originally Posted by mcv View Post

So Android sounds like a cool alternative. A year ago it was still too young and new, but now, there are some really nice Android phones on the market. Or about to appear on the market. The Motorola Milestone sounds absolutely brilliant, as does the Xperia X10. But the Xperia isn't available yet, and the Milestone comes with a QWERTZ keyboard rather than a QWERTY one, and who knows how long before a Dutch version appears? And is it really completely open? I read somewhere that you still need to pull some trickery in order to become root on your own machine.
How open Android is depends on what you want to do with it. It's in between Maemo and iPhone in openness (with them being extremes).

And then I discover the N900 and Maemo, and it sounds like everything the others aren't. For one thing, Nokia seems to be the only manufacturer who really seems to get the point that a high-end smartphone isn't a phone anymore, but a pocket computer.
True for now, but if Maemo + n900 makes a big enough splash you can bet the others will respond.

But the N900 with Maemo really as good as the others? I don't doubt it's theoretically more powerful, but does it have a similar selection of quality apps? Does it have the hardware to support that range of apps (like a digital compass)? Android has 10,000 apps, and the iPhone has 100,000. Now most of those are crap, so big numbers aren't all that important, but does Maemo really offer the same kind of apps as the better iPhone and Android? Is it as easy to develop for as Android is rumoured to be? Does it have an official app store that offers app developers a financial incentive to produce quality apps?
It depends on what you mean by quality application. For example, applications range from ones created originally for Maemo and others are ports over from Linux. And yes there is an official app store (called Ovi).

And then there's the resistive touch screen and the stylus. Isn't that yesterday's technology? Shouldn't it have capacitive touch and multitouch?
Depends on your preference and what applications you use. On the iPhone where Apple controls application admission they can reject an application if it doesn't mean interface requirements (being finger friendly). On the n900 there is no such controller thus you can have apps that are tiny requiring a stylus or applications that are finger friendly. But the next rumored Maemo device will have capacitative touch screen (and multi-touch). Though given how Nokia has handled the launch of the current n900...

Then again, Maemo also seems to have a smart, active and dedicated community, and that's worth something too.
That Maemo does have and it's why I came to this community in the first place.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA

It seems to me that the N900, great though in some hardware areas, is lacking a bit in other areas. I'm also afraid I'll end up with a bare Linux desktop rather than a smooth and slick smartphone with lots of cool apps accessible with only a single click. (I don't want to browse through menus to find the app I want.)

The N900/Maemo5 is considered the last step before they release the one true mobile device. It is awesome already at the OS level. The hardware is great for the most part. It unfortunately does not have a hardware compass, but every thing else is there and generally with better quality/quantity than the competition. It is at the point in which development for it is going to explode. If you want to hang around and be a part of that I think you will enjoy it. If you are more interested in getting a device that already has all the apps in the world, plus the kitchen sink, look elsewhere. That having been said, I see the basics rather well covered (at least for me).

I wrote a little comparison of Maemo with the iPhone and an Android device. I think some of your questions are answered there.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...-just-an-itoy/

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Nokia seems to be the only manufacturer who really seems to get the point that a high-end smartphone isn't a phone anymore, but a pocket computer.
Which is exactly how it should be treated. It just happens to have built in phone functions as well. And the prioritization of "computer, with phone stuff" is what drew me to it, the fact that it's (truly) Linux based simply sealed the deal.

Is it as easy to develop for as Android is rumoured to be
Considering that Maemo is based on APIs that have been in use on Linux for years now, the know-how is very widespread.

Does it have an official app store that offers app developers a financial incentive to produce quality apps?
It will, but financial incentive has never prevented bad apps from being released .

Debatable. I've never used a capacitative or multitouch interface for more than a couple minutes so I can't say I noticed a real benefit. Maybe if you've had your head stuck in the mobile arena for a while you might. It's a wash to me.

I'm also afraid I'll end up with a bare Linux desktop rather than a smooth and slick smartphone with lots of cool apps accessible with only a single click. (I don't want to browse through menus to find the app I want.)
From everything I've seen, lots of cool apps will be available with just a click, and the UI is as slick as anything I've seen. It uses Linux, but like OS X and it's *nix background, it's masked with a really good front-end but all the underlying power is still there for the users who want it.

I've passed on every iPhone, WinMo, and Android phone released to date and with the N900's hardware, OS, and availability for non-stupid prices unlocked basically sold me on it, so I might be a bit biased.

If you use Maps 'alot' on the iphone and consider it deciding factor, you would definitely want to wait until you can try the OVI Maps on N900.

I'm not sure about Europe, but in US, google maps accuracy (in finding an address, searching for a business and (GUI responsiveness on s60 devices)) is way way above OVI maps. I would score Google Maps 9/10 and OVI Maps 3/10.

You can use Google Maps on the n900 too, there's even a community created MaeMaps that basically retools the Google Maps UI to make it more finger friendly.

Though it's no native Google Maps application.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Here are some answers and my (biased) $0.02.

The N900 has the same core hardware as the iPhone 3GS, so it's not more powerful. There is, to my (possibly inaccurate) knowledge, no hardware compass.

Maemo offers the same (lack of) financial incentives that most other Linux platforms offer and presents the ability to run Linux applications natively. I have no idea how many applications there are for Linux but it's certainly competitive quality and quantity-wise with the iPhone and Android.

More a matter of preference than technology dating. Personally, I prefer the precision of fingernails/styluses over the huge pad of my fingers, especially considering the resolution of the N900's screen is more than twice as high as the iPhone's. Also, capacitive touchscreens do not respond well to non-fingers, which is a big plus for resistive in my book. Multitouch is nice though, so it really boils down to which you prefer.

Have you seen the video demonstrations? The N900 interface is really slick and smooth.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
And then there's the resistive touch screen and the stylus. Isn't that yesterday's technology? Shouldn't it have capacitive touch and multitouch?.
Ask yourself what you'd rather have on a desktop computer:
a) - a precise mouse pointer as is normal,
or
b) a system that uses circular pointers a couple of inches across that indiscriminately select everything underneath them when you click, but allows you to have two of them at once.

If you went for option 'a' why would you want something different on your mobile computer?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post: